Author Topic: Any artists/recording engineers in the house?  (Read 217 times)

Hey Ma

Any artists/recording engineers in the house?
« on: October 03, 2007, 08:54:52 PM »
I dont know if this should go in the lab, but I was wondering there are any other artists or engineers that have a setup at home or work for doing music.

I have a Mac G4 with pro tools HD, Reason 3, a Mackie DFX 6 mixer and a Numan u-87 microphone in my apartment. I have been making beats and rapping for about 5 years, but I've grown tired so now i help friends record projects of all genres when they come over to my place.

Blu Lacez

Re: Any artists/recording engineers in the house?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:07:18 PM »
^How Come You Got Tired??
i Have a Basic Set Up!
Not as High def as yous, interms of Equipments, I got a mic Pre-amp
Software,speakers, Mics, etc-Why You Wondering, why my set up is so "modest'
Cuz i've been in and Out Of Studio,and i felt comfortable with what i have!!
Plus got 2 keyboards as well!

What Do You Want To Know, I'll See if I can Help

Hey Ma

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 09:54:26 PM »
Thats cool man, if simple works for you then do whats comfortable, otherwise the end result will suffer. I'm just in a rut now when it comes to hip hop so I'm taking a break. Good to see others here into the art though!

swangin and bangin

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »
 8)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/uOxjisklamo&amp;autoplay=0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/uOxjisklamo&amp;autoplay=0</a>

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »
yeah this should be in the lab i feel what u saying though but if u not using that shit much sell it or give it to someone who will

Blu Lacez

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 07:05:28 PM »
Thats cool man, if simple works for you then do whats comfortable, otherwise the end result will suffer. I'm just in a rut now when it comes to hip hop so I'm taking a break. Good to see others here into the art though!

yeah I Know..Trust me, i've been there as well!!!
That's why the musician i work with are not Hip Hop related, so i can vibe off other genres of muisc..while working with them on a Hip Hop track!!
Cuz lets face it will get repeative at some point!!!
As for set up, i want to work with the least number of eupsments, so i can always give myself room to exand and aquire more Stuff, if the need should arise!!
if it's mastering i can get that Done, either in a studio or online..Ya Know..Tech is just crazy these days!

But what you are doing now concentrating on recording might work to your advantage, recording vocals on other pples beats, might get you back into working on your beats, who knows, but long as you doing something musically that's good!!

Stay up and Best of Luck Man!!

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 06:17:39 PM »
I got a home studio at home with a nice g5 comp.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Vinnie

• 'G'
  • not quite that fly.
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 10:19:08 PM »
If you guys need equipment, let me know; I work for a world wide, online reseller in Southern California.

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2007, 06:33:54 AM »
I don't have much equipment for my pc. I just use Reason 3.0. My soundcard is on board so i don't have a MIDI input. My dad has a MIDI-Keyboad, a mixing console, a microphone, a small drum machine and Cubase. I just looked today, how I could plug the MIDI-Keyboad into my soundcard. Can you give me an advice what kind of adapter cable I should use? Until now, I always make my beats without a keyboard which is bothering me now, cause I do that shit like 2 years now. I need to step my game up to make more quality sound. It's just difficult because I don't have the money to buy all that dope equipment.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:37 PM »
u got it better then me

i got ACID 5.0
and 30 dollar mic and some cheap headphone

but my homie got them protools and bomb shit, so i try to go to his crib to record- makes big diff.

Blu Lacez

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 01:03:51 PM »
I don't have much equipment for my pc. I just use Reason 3.0. My soundcard is on board so i don't have a MIDI input. My dad has a MIDI-Keyboad, a mixing console, a microphone, a small drum machine and Cubase. I just looked today, how I could plug the MIDI-Keyboad into my soundcard. Can you give me an advice what kind of adapter cable I should use? Until now, I always make my beats without a keyboard which is bothering me now, cause I do that shit like 2 years now. I need to step my game up to make more quality sound. It's just difficult because I don't have the money to buy all that dope equipment.

The Midi-Keyboard, is usually connected to your sound card via a midi cable.
If your sound card don't have a "Midi-In"..then you might not be able to conenct it to your sound card.However if you Midi-Keyboard has a usb port, then you might be able to by-pass the sound card and connect it directly into your computer via your usb port on your pc

Since you have a mixing console, drum machine,cubase & Reason, you really don't need much.
The midi cables are not too pricey, i'm sure you can get your hands on a couple for less than 20 buck, get 'em cheaper on eBay.

However once you conenct everything, midi-keyboard, mixing console,and  every software is wrking well with one another then you r half way there!

Si-Chiggedy

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007, 08:22:35 AM »

If your sound card don't have a "Midi-In"..then you might not be able to conenct it to your sound card.However if you Midi-Keyboard has a usb port, then you might be able to by-pass the sound card and connect it directly into your computer via your usb port on your pc

Since you have a mixing console, drum machine,cubase & Reason, you really don't need much.
The midi cables are not too pricey, i'm sure you can get your hands on a couple for less than 20 buck, get 'em cheaper on eBay.

However once you conenct everything, midi-keyboard, mixing console,and  every software is wrking well with one another then you r half way there!

The thing is, the midi-keyboard doesn't have a USB port, but I heard there are cables that can connect midi and usb for pc's without midi-in. But them cables are expensive and as far as I don't use my father's pc I don't have a midi keyboard to work with. Maybe I will install reason on my dad's pc to check the keyboard.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

Blu Lacez

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007, 10:30:24 AM »

The thing is, the midi-keyboard doesn't have a USB port, but I heard there are cables that can connect midi and usb for pc's without midi-in. But them cables are expensive and as far as I don't use my father's pc I don't have a midi keyboard to work with. Maybe I will install reason on my dad's pc to check the keyboard.

really??..ok1
Best Of Luck With That Man!!
+1