Author Topic: American Gangster  (Read 2765 times)

GunMaster G-9

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • click the ''Give Props'' link above
Re: American Gangster
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2007, 10:28:22 PM »
TI looks really skinny.

my thoughts on the movie... it was overall pretty good and i will buy it when it comes out on dvd. and throw it in that collection with good fellas and godfathers.

there was a few things that made it very unbelievable.

i dont buy it how lucas gets up outta lunch and goes and shoots that guy (stringer from The Wire) on the street and comes back for lunch as says... now where was i? = biggest load of bullshit i have seen. and after that he cries to his fam about bringing too much attention to themselves and should try to fit in. and then wears a bear costume to the boxing match. = hypocritical.

he buys 1000 Kilos and then gets followed all the way to his 1 heroin packeting factory which is hidden away in a project building. I mean if you were driving 1000 Kilos in only 1 truck, and you were as smart as this Lucas character, you may have a few decoy trucks to fool the cops. I mean this has all taken place just after a military planes has been stripped to pieces in search for drugs by a shit load of cops. so in reality someone would have told Lucas, ''hey they know something is up and they are after us we need to be very very careful''.

then they take the drugs in probably the most suspicious van. they could have used a hearse or a funeral car to make it look like they were taking bodies or something. and then they are also driving for a long drive and don't they notice they are being followed?. And how come he only had 1 Heroin packaging house? maybe the rent was cheap in the projects? surely he could have had a few different ones.

smartest thing i thought was him keeping the larger stash of run away money buried under a guard dogs house. that was very clever.

was that mos def in that movie also? plays like a uncle or someone in Lucas fam

but still the movie was a the best i seen this year and i will go give it my 10$ at the cinemas, because i believe a good movie should have my money.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 10:38:33 PM by don_boochi »

Elano

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2007, 01:34:21 PM »
gon watch it real soon, my expectations are extremely high 8)

its an okay movie, but id be really dissapointed if i watchd this in the theaters n wasted 10 bucks. not worth that.

It's not just an okay movie,the "problem" is that you just care about the rappers in this movie when the real deal is denzel washington.
I can see a second oscar for denzel with this movie

Lunatic

« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2007, 01:36:09 PM »
TI looks really skinny.

my thoughts on the movie... it was overall pretty good and i will buy it when it comes out on dvd. and throw it in that collection with good fellas and godfathers.

i dont buy it how lucas gets up outta lunch and goes and shoots that guy (stringer from The Wire) on the street and comes back for lunch as says... now where was i? = biggest load of bullshit i have seen. and after that he cries to his fam about bringing too much attention to themselves and should try to fit in. and then wears a bear costume to the boxing match. = hypocritical.

he buys 1000 Kilos and then gets followed all the way to his 1 heroin packeting factory which is hidden away in a project building. I mean if you were driving 1000 Kilos in only 1 truck, and you were as smart as this Lucas character, you may have a few decoy trucks to fool the cops. I mean this has all taken place just after a military planes has been stripped to pieces in search for drugs by a shit load of cops. so in reality someone would have told Lucas, ''hey they know something is up and they are after us we need to be very very careful''.

then they take the drugs in probably the most suspicious van. they could have used a hearse or a funeral car to make it look like they were taking bodies or something. and then they are also driving for a long drive and don't they notice they are being followed?. And how come he only had 1 Heroin packaging house? maybe the rent was cheap in the projects? surely he could have had a few different ones.

smartest thing i thought was him keeping the larger stash of run away money buried under a guard dogs house. that was very clever.

but still the movie was a the best i seen this year and i will go give it my 10$ at the cinemas, because i believe a good movie should have my money.
yea, T.i is real skinny, that's how he usually looks LOL
yea belongs in that collection i agree as well
i do know that he killed that guy he shoots in the middle of the street, dunno if that's how it happened though
believe it or not - the outfit to the boxing match story is 100% accurate
the REAL frank lucas said it himself the other day...he didn't want 2 upset his wife, so he wore the outfit, although he never looked flashy, and didn't go out often
nah mos def ain't in the movie, only rappers are:
T.I - lucas' nephew
Common - Lucas' brother
Rza - cop
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2007, 01:36:39 PM »

its an okay movie, but id be really dissapointed if i watchd this in the theaters n wasted 10 bucks. not worth that.

It's not just an okay movie,the "problem" is that you just care about the rappers in this movie when the real deal is denzel washington.
yup, this movie should rack up the oscars

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2007, 02:00:38 PM »

lol i dont even like TI or common i was looking for a more organized MOB like the one from Hoodlum lmfao i think it wouldnt matter if they were in it or not because the story to me i juz boring, it was as if watching menace 2 society again..  i think the movie is washed up when they have rappers  in it there. cept for commmon bcuz hes been in moviews but TI cmon now.
i was really expecting a black mafia or a black godfather. type of movie, gets real boring to a lil more than half way through the movie.

lol ur talkin to me like im a 12 yr old thinkin i juz like the movie cuz of the rappers in it. i gess theres alotta people that u talk to or around that think like that.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2007, 02:01:40 PM »

lol i dont even like TI or common i was looking for a more organized MOB like the one from Hoodlum lmfao i think it wouldnt matter if they were in it or not because the story to me i juz boring, it was as if watching menace 2 society again..  i think the movie is washed up when they have rappers  in it there. cept for commmon bcuz hes been in moviews but TI cmon now.
i was really expecting a black mafia or a black godfather. type of movie, gets real boring to a lil more than half way through the movie.

lol ur talkin to me like im a 12 yr old thinkin i juz like the movie cuz of the rappers in it. i gess theres alotta people that u talk to or around that think like that.

ima watch it again cuz i was kinda on one when i watchd it. mayb that affected my judgement

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Elano

« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2007, 02:08:56 PM »

i gess theres alotta people that u talk to or around that think like that.

THE FUCK are you talkin about ?

Elano

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
American Gangster (Universal Pictures) is one of the most eagerly anticipated films of the year. Even prior to its release the film has already created such a buzz that it's hastily cemented its place alongside other iconic films which celebrate the life and times of the gangster such as Tony Montana in Scarface, Don Corleone in The Godfather and of course Al Capone from The Untouchables. Jay-Z, inspired by the film, has already written an album, which steals the film's title. So why the fuss? Well the ensemble cast, which
comprises heavyweights from the world of film and music -including Denzel Washington, Russell Crowe, Idris Elba, T.I., Common and RZA from the Wu-Tang Clan- certainly helps. But most importantly, the story of Frank Lucas—the Harlem drug-dealer who imported pure cocaine at discount prices from Vietnam, smuggling it into the US via the coffins of dead soldiers, is most definitely a fascinating one.

Roughly two and a half hours in length, British Director Ridley Scott earns major brownie points by not succumbing to the obvious shoot 'em up rollercoaster ride of say a Martin Scorsese type gangster thriller. Indeed there are a few gory moments, but Lucas's menace is more psychological than anything. Needless to say, Denzel Washington puts in a mesmerizing performance as the complex, intelligent and psychopathic Frank Lucas, who like most gangsters baffled anyone who entered his lair.

Much has been written about the true-life gangster who is still alive and initially sparked the interest of film bosses after an article appeared in New York Magazine ("Return of Superfly", 2001) in which he boasts of blowing out the brains of a rival dealer to gain street credibility. Not surprisingly the film has already faced a spew of criticism from those who say that American Gangster is yet another film, which glorifies real life villains- think Billy The Kid and Bonnie, and surely the naysayers raise a valid point. Gangster adulation is already so entrenched in American youth culture, particular Black culture, that you do struggle to justify its existence. Supporters of Lucas claim that the criticism is unjustified,
because the drug kingpin is the embodiment of Black empowerment who stood for political autonomy through financial gain. But continually portraying a one-dimensional view of Black affluence (i.e. Black people can only gain access to wealth through crime and entertainment) surely sends out a damaging message to those who are impressionable.

Despite this, American Gangster is extremely compelling. Shot beautifully, Ridley Scott conjures a realistic portrait of the spirited atmosphere of 1970's Harlem interweaving the exuberance of the haves (entertainers, sport stars, drug dealers) with the dirty stairwells and rotting buildings of Lucas' enslaved dope fiend followers. Russell Crowe puts in a very powerful performance as the troubled detective who fights to bring down Lucas' empire. Stalwart actress Ruby Dee is also moving as Lucas' feisty but dignified mother.

Though on the negative side when the build up is this crazy for a movie, the chances are it's not going to live up to your expectations. Although the story is interesting—the actors all do an amazing job and the movie is shot beautifully—you should be warned that the film does drag on and certain parts may seem boring due to the length and at times slow pace of the film.

So for anyone expecting a similar cinematic experience as say Scarface, New Jack
City or The Godfather,  you may be left feeling a little disappointed. Nevertheless, American Gangster is thought provoking cinema.

GunMaster G-9

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • click the ''Give Props'' link above
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2007, 08:18:11 PM »
TI looks really skinny.

yea, T.i is real skinny, that's how he usually looks LOL
yea belongs in that collection i agree as well
i do know that he killed that guy he shoots in the middle of the street, dunno if that's how it happened though
believe it or not - the outfit to the boxing match story is 100% accurate
the REAL frank lucas said it himself the other day...he didn't want 2 upset his wife, so he wore the outfit, although he never looked flashy, and didn't go out often
nah mos def ain't in the movie, only rappers are:
T.I - lucas' nephew
Common - Lucas' brother
Rza - cop

yeh i was meant to say Common not Mos Def. lol... i get them 2 mixed up. He played a uncle.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2007, 06:22:18 PM »
Just saw it today..... great movie!

Considering that it's a true story, it gives the movie (and storyline) a better feel. It's not some fictional Scarface type where people are shooting out at each every other minute. It's a great drama that gives you a good insight in to the Harlem drug scene in the 70's. 

SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2007, 11:15:56 AM »
i've watched it 3 times now, and i've liked it more & more each time
i think im going 2 see it in the theaters anyway

thats what i thought bout godfather but i dont know about this movie.

its not juz the acting or the action, its juz that i like the concept better, like the italian mafia had a strict g code n all that, there was loyalty and every 1 was on their toes, so they dont slack off and fuck up.

american gangster was none of that, but the previews gave out a preview like that you know? it was pretty much was 1 smart gangster and every1 else was juz dumbfuck dope dealers.

Based on a true story homie...this is when Drugs became a huge part of organized crime...Mob families could never do this type of shit.

btw...just saw it...great movie!
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Narrator

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2007, 07:41:16 PM »
Just saw it tonight.  Fucking ill.  Not sure I'd say classic, but still a satisfying experience, nonetheless.  I don't see how anyone can complain about the length...I really just got so absorbed in it that I couldn't bother to give a shit.  And anyone who complains about action...that just goes to show what lowbrow taste you have.  You want that shit, shut the fuck up and go rent "Hot Boyz" or something.

Lunatic

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2007, 09:46:47 PM »
i can't believe the reviews haven't been unanimous :o

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2007, 12:36:39 AM »
Just saw it tonight.  Fucking ill.  Not sure I'd say classic, but still a satisfying experience, nonetheless.  I don't see how anyone can complain about the length...I really just got so absorbed in it that I couldn't bother to give a shit.  And anyone who complains about action...that just goes to show what lowbrow taste you have.  You want that shit, shut the fuck up and go rent "Hot Boyz" or something.
Truth. Most people are just use to seeing a bunch of niggers shoot each other, they can't appreicate anything above that. But this was a great film. I wouldn't put it up their with GoodFellas and The Godfather, but it did a great job in its portrayal of crime and drugs at the time. Imagine being the mom and 35 members of your family go to jail (including your 5 sons).

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2007, 11:29:05 AM »
Cool!!
I'm gon go see this flick on Friday!!!
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone