Author Topic: You're mad because you didn't get your sleep...  (Read 359 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: You're mad because you didn't get your sleep...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2007, 11:49:13 AM »
Why There's No Such Thing as a Good Night's Sleep

By Meredith F. Small, LiveScience's Human Nature Columnist
posted: 28 September 2007 08:38 am ET

For new parents, transatlantic travelers and people who stay up watching late-night TV, life is all about getting enough sleep.
No one really knows why human and other animals sleep, or why, after losing sleep night after night, we become crazed. We bumble around, grumpy and complaining, and then lie down for a good sleep but end up wide awake.
And now, Francesco Cappuccio at the University of Warwick Medical School in Coventry, Canada, claims that too little sleep will also kill us.

Cappuccio and colleagues at the University College, London, gathered sleep data on 10,308 civil servants in the late 1980s and then again in the early 1990s. Of course, some of those government employees had died in the meantime, and so the researchers could factors out such variables as smoking, exercise, obesity and blood pressure and concentrate on how sleep might send us into the Big Sleep.

It seems that how much sleep the civil employees got (not at their desks, but in bed at night) played a part in putting them to sleep permanently.

Those who changed their sleep habits by cutting the time in bed from 7 to 5 or less hours were 1.7 times more likely to die, and twice as likely to die from cardiovascular problems.
Oddly enough, sleeping too much also turned out to be bad. Going from the standard 7 hours of sleep to more than 8 hours also upped the risk of death twofold.

This research suggests that we all should be getting 7 hours of sleep a night, and we should religiously stick to that quotient.

But anthropologist James McKenna of Notre Dame begs to differ.

McKenna studies the sleep patterns of parents and babies, and he has looked at the history of sleep in the West as well as how people sleep in other cultures.

"In America, you are expected to go to bed at 11 o'clock and basically die until 7 a.m., and if you don’t, you have a pathology—insomnia," McKenna says.

Americans, according to McKenna, also have a certain reverence for sleep, which makes it a cultural issue worthy of endless conversation, and research.

But in other cultures where people don't work in offices, no one is all that interested in who gets how much sleep. Also, everyone gets up at least once a night and does something, like tend the fire or comfort someone's baby.
"Humans are really bi-phasic sleepers," McKenna claims. He says that we are biologically designed to sleep in two or more interrupted bouts during the night and then fall asleep again during the day. In other words, there is no such thing as a good night sleep, but the cat nap is the trade off.

Sleeping at our desks in the middle of the day, then, is a good thing. If Cappuccio searched his data base and found out which government employees nap during the work day, chances are the desk nappers are still with us.

Throwback

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2007, 11:50:43 AM »
Optimal amount
Adults

The National Sleep Foundation maintains that eight to nine hours of sleep for adult humans is optimal and that sufficient sleep benefits alertness, memory and problem solving, and overall health, as well as reducing the risk of accidents.[4] A widely publicized 2003 study[5] performed at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine demonstrated that cognitive performance declines with fewer than eight hours of sleep.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep

wikipedia is giving us false information.

Throwback

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2007, 11:52:09 AM »
   1. Thai Ngoc, born 1942, has been awake for 33 years or 11,700 nights, according to Vietnamese news organization Thanh Nien. It was said that Ngoc acquired the ability to go without sleep after a bout of fever in 1973,[9] but other reports indicate he stopped sleeping in 1976 with no known trigger.[10] At the time of the Thanh Nien report, Ngoc suffered from no apparent ill effect (other than a minor decline in liver function), was mentally sound and could carry 100 kg of pig feed down a 4 km road,[9] but another report indicates that he was healthy before the sleepless episode but that now he was not feeling well because of the lack of sleep.[10]
   2. Randy Gardner holds the Guinness World Record for intentionally having gone the longest without sleep. In 1965, Gardner, then 18, stayed awake for 264 hours (about 11 days) for a high school science project.[11] He experienced significant deficits in concentration, motivation, perception and other higher mental processes during his sleep deprivation. However, he recovered normal cognitive functions after a few nights' sleep.
   3. On May 25, 2007 the BBC reported that Tony Wright beat the Guinness World Record by staying awake for 11 days and nights.[12] The Guinness Book of Records has, however, withdrawn its backing of a sleep deprivation class because of the associated health risks.
   4. People born with the rare genetic disorder Morvan’s fibrillary chorea or Morvan's syndrome can go without sleep for several months at a time. Michel Jouvet and his colleagues in Lyon, France, studied a 27-year-old man and found he had virtually no sleep over a period of several months. During that time he did not feel sleepy or tired and did not show any disorders of mood, memory, or anxiety. Nevertheless, nearly every night between 9:00 and 11:00 p.m., he experienced a 20 to 60-minute period of auditory, visual, olfactory, and somesthetic (sense of touch) hallucinations, as well as pain and vasoconstriction in his fingers and toes.[11] In recent investigations, Morvan's syndrome has been attributed to serum antibodies directed against specific potassium (K+) channels in cell and nerve membranes.

SGV

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2007, 12:03:43 PM »
* Teens need about 9 1/4 hours of sleep each night to function best (for some, 8 1/2 hours is enough). Most teens DO NOT get enough sleep -– one study found that only 15% reported sleeping 8 1/2 hours on school nights.

http://www.sleepfoundation.org/site/c.huIXKjM0IxF/b.2419127/k.9C6C/Sleep_and_Teens.htm

How Much Sleep Do We Need?
The amount of sleep each person needs depends on many factors, including age. Infants generally require about 16 hours a day, while teenagers need about 9 hours on average. For most adults, 7 to 8 hours a night appears to be the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 5 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day. Women in the first 3 months of pregnancy often need several more hours of sleep than usual. The amount of sleep a person needs also increases if he or she has been deprived of sleep in previous days. Getting too little sleep creates a "sleep debt," which is much like being overdrawn at a bank. Eventually, your body will demand that the debt be repaid. We don't seem to adapt to getting less sleep than we need; while we may get used to a sleep-depriving schedule, our judgment, reaction time, and other functions are still impaired.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/brain_basics/understanding_sleep.htm#how_much

A lot of sources are saying 7 to 8 for adults. So 8 hours is fine.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2007, 03:17:09 PM »
It's also a proven study teenagers CAN'T fall asleep until like 11pm, so goin' to bed than and waking up at 6 to go to school is impossible.

I know I CAN'T sleep at night. I'm wide fuckin' awake. So when I get up in the morning I'm so fuckin' unmotivated. In school, I try, but I can't stay awake. Last year I just used to sit there with my head up, eyes closed. It's crazy.

So when I don't go to school, I don't wake up until like 12. Shit's just a mess.

swangin and bangin

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2007, 04:21:57 PM »
yall crazy

i sleep minimum of nine hours every night

more of a recovery time for my body
feel supercalifragilisticexpialidocious the next morning

That's bad for you...Humans are supposed to sleep 7 hours. No more than 8. If you average 9, that's going against your health...PeACe
i cant function without 8-9