Author Topic: Nas: NY Politician Says Change Album Title Or UMG Loses $84 Mil  (Read 333 times)

Elano

Nas: NY Politician Says Change Album Title Or UMG Loses $84 Mil
« on: October 28, 2007, 06:19:51 AM »
Universal Music Group may face a withdrawal of $84 million in state investments if the company doesn't change the title of Nas' forthcoming release, Ni**er.

According to local New York news outlet, The Brooklyn Paper, Assemblyman Hakeem Jeffries (D-Fort Greene) has requested that Comptroller Thomas DiNapoli withdraw the $84 million that New York's state pension fund has invested in Universal and its parent company, Vivendi.

"[They are] profiting from a racial slur that has been used to dehumanize people of color for centuries," Jeffries said. "It is time for Nas and other hip-hop artists to clean up their act and stop flooding the airwaves with the N-word."

Despite prior reports that the Queens MC's album title, Ni**a, was shut down by Def Jam, Nas has since clarified that his new album will be called Ni**er.

Although Universal did not respond to The Brooklyn Paper's request for comment, a spokesman for DiNapoli, who manages the pension fund, said the comptroller "is concerned about this issue and is intending to contact the company and urge them not to release the album."

In February, the Council passed legislation urging people not to use the racial slur. Jeffries, a former assistant general counsel at CBS and lawyer at Viacom, said he is more interested in impacting the industry's bottom line.

"It's a staggering amount of money, which at least justifies a review of the appropriateness of the content that is flooding the public," he said.

Money

Re: Nas: NY Politician Says Change Album Title Or UMG Loses $84 Mil
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2007, 09:17:21 AM »
correction

i'd buy an album called nigga nigger

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2007, 04:46:47 PM »
correction

i'd buy an album called nigga nigger

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:13:37 PM »
i hope he doesnt, just to piss them off. but no1 likes to lose 84 mil lol

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 05:14:08 PM »
let him release the album...what happened to freedom of speech...that is discrimination this guy wont buy the cd anyway im sure nas is talking about the use of the word not endorsing it but not hating on it just the straight up facts about it...if a mexican released an album called beaner or a white guy an album called cracker or some other racial slurs no one would care this is just discrimination and it comes from the pressure put on by people like jessie jackson and al sharpton...david banner, although he does not discuss this exact issue, discusses how jessie jackson and al sharpton are actually hurting the black community u shuld check it in the source if ur interested...he actually tells them to suck a dick  ;D

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 05:19:32 PM »
let him release the album...what happened to freedom of speech...that is discrimination this guy wont buy the cd anyway im sure nas is talking about the use of the word not endorsing it but not hating on it just the straight up facts about it...if a mexican released an album called beaner or a white guy an album called cracker or some other racial slurs no one would care this is just discrimination and it comes from the pressure put on by people like jessie jackson and al sharpton...david banner, although he does not discuss this exact issue, discusses how jessie jackson and al sharpton are actually hurting the black community u shuld check it in the source if ur interested...he actually tells them to suck a dick  ;D

propsss +1, worddd up, i mean cracker and beaner arent on the same level as nigger, but still its the same idea. freedom of speech means u can say what you like, no? nas should release the album and al sharpton can shove that shit up his ass. hes never gunna be president so he should stop sucking hard to get the rest of country to like him lol...NaSty NaS!!!!!  8)

Narrator

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 07:45:23 PM »
Uh, oh.

On the one hand, I want to say this could be interesting.  On the other, well...let's face it, this is obviously calculated.  Nas had to know this (or something like it) was coming when he chose the title.  Nas thrives on controversy as much as almost any other mainstream rapper...that's why "Hip-Hop Is Dead" sold so well, and he's obviously trying to do the same thing again by pissing off somebody else.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 09:06:15 PM »
Did Michael Richards and co. lose $84 million for saying nigger?

Didn't think so.

Like I said tho, Nas isn't going to call his album that. He'll gain a buzz, drop a hot single, and change the title to "The N Word".
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

SP0RTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Westside para vida
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 09:44:30 PM »

propsss +1, worddd up, i mean cracker and beaner arent on the same level as nigger, but still its the same idea. freedom of speech means u can say what you like, no? nas should release the album and al sharpton can shove that shit up his ass. hes never gunna be president so he should stop sucking hard to get the rest of country to like him lol...NaSty NaS!!!!!  8)
exactly man props for agreeing yea there arent as bad but NOBODY would care if an album was called cracker or beaner...haha

5 Albums I'm Bumping Right Now (In Order)
Blu & Exile- Below The Heavens
eMC- The Show
WC- Guily By Affiliation
Westside Connection- Bow Down
Wu Tang Clan- Enter the 36 Chambers

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 08:43:07 AM »
Capitalism killed the freedom of speech, amazing.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2007, 12:57:45 PM »
Did Michael Richards and co. lose $84 million for saying nigger?

Didn't think so.

Like I said tho, Nas isn't going to call his album that. He'll gain a buzz, drop a hot single, and change the title to "The N Word".

I like that theory.