Author Topic: Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time  (Read 1676 times)

GangstaBoogy

Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time
« on: November 02, 2007, 07:28:53 PM »
Yes he went on to win another ring but looking at him now, I amost feel bad for the dude. All those years of taking it easy while everyone else worked their asses off is finally starting to catch up with him. He's too slow and sluggish to deal with these young athletic forwards (Granger).

Last Night
28 Minutes: 8 Points (4-13 FG, 0-3 FT), 7 Rebounds, 1 Assists, 4 Blocks, 6 Turnovers, 6 Fouls

Tonight
29 Minutes: 9 Points (4-6 FG, 1-4 FT), 7 Rebounds, 2 Assists, 4 Turnovers, 5 Fouls

^ At this point he's nothing more than a big guy who's a liability at the free-throw line and on the defensive end.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 07:48:17 PM »
The only bad thing was that we couldn't get anything good in return for shipping him out.... Yes, he blows now but we still could have gotten a better deal for him... Kupchak is a homo... West would have never made such a lopsided deal.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 08:35:42 PM »
At the perfect time?  You act like you just dumped him, he got a ring since he left LA.  Don't laugh at those lines, that looks like career averages from Bynum.  Hate on old man Shaq all you want, it doesn't take away that he was undisputably the most dominant player in the league for years.  Shit, hate on Kareem and Wilt while you're at it, cuz they fell of w/ age too.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:50 PM »
The only bad thing was that we couldn't get anything good in return for shipping him out.... Yes, he blows now but we still could have gotten a better deal for him... Kupchak is a homo... West would have never made such a lopsided deal.

Sad but true.

At the perfect time?  You act like you just dumped him, he got a ring since he left LA.  Don't laugh at those lines, that looks like career averages from Bynum.  Hate on old man Shaq all you want, it doesn't take away that he was undisputably the most dominant player in the league for years.  Shit, hate on Kareem and Wilt while you're at it, cuz they fell of w/ age too.

Ok why are you telling me he won a ring? Did you not read the first line in my post? And yeah let's compare him to Bynum, a guy who's only played 130 games in his career  ::)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 09:21:59 PM »
Yea, he won a ring... Zo was a better center than him by that point, though.

Face it, Shaq's decline started way back in his Laker days, just after our last championship.

Lakers on the other hand...We're looking boss against the Suns tonight, and Bynum looks TOO promising...PeACe

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:06:50 AM »

Sad but true.

Ok why are you telling me he won a ring? Did you not read the first line in my post? And yeah let's compare him to Bynum, a guy who's only played 130 games in his career  ::)

I just think it's pathetic to bag on a guy for being old.  Doing a few more situps 5 years ago wouldn't change his statline much at all today.  Look at guys like David Robinson who was a physical freak till the day he retired and yet and still had significant drop off.  Went from averaging something like 30 ppgs to less than 10.  It happens to pretty much all big men - you think Shaq should still be averaging 30 & 20?

And then saying you got rid of him in the nick of time, like you traded him last week.  This is what, the 4th season now?  Seems to me he was traded a couple years too soon.  Just another monumental fuck up by the Lakers FO.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:08:13 AM »
Yea, he won a ring... Zo was a better center than him by that point, though.

Face it, Shaq's decline started way back in his Laker days, just after our last championship.

Lakers on the other hand...We're looking boss against the Suns tonight, and Bynum looks TOO promising...PeACe

The Lakers looked promising at this point last year at this time.  Everyone's got potential - lets see them do something in the postseason then I might agree.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 01:28:53 AM »

Sad but true.

I just think it's pathetic to bag on a guy for being old.  Doing a few more situps 5 years ago wouldn't change his statline much at all today.  Look at guys like David Robinson who was a physical freak till the day he retired and yet and still had significant drop off.  Went from averaging something like 30 ppgs to less than 10.  It happens to pretty much all big men - you think Shaq should still be averaging 30 & 20?

And then saying you got rid of him in the nick of time, like you traded him last week.  This is what, the 4th season now?  Seems to me he was traded a couple years too soon.  Just another monumental fuck up by the Lakers FO.

Lol Alonzo Mourning is 2 years older than him but he's still in great shape. Shaq is in the position he's in because his conditioning has sucked since the Orlando days.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 01:58:30 AM »

Sad but true.

Lol Alonzo Mourning is 2 years older than him but he's still in great shape. Shaq is in the position he's in because his conditioning has sucked since the Orlando days.

There's lots of centers older than Shaq that are in better shape, and they still fell off drastically at the end of their careers.  Of course Shaq could have excercised more, but it wouldn't have him averaging 30 & 20 after 15+ years in the league.  Shaq declined just like all bigs decline - look at guys like Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, Kareem, etc.  They were all in better shape than Shaq but they still fell off just like he's doing.

WC Iz Active

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 02:37:58 AM »
Pacers 2-0!!

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 08:10:17 AM »
The only bad thing was that we couldn't get anything good in return for shipping him out.... Yes, he blows now but we still could have gotten a better deal for him...

D-Wade. :-\

Man Shaq didn't care about the Lakers, he didn't even care about rings. He just wanted to get paid. He wanted to get a lot of money for his last contract as a pro, and the Lakers didn't want to give him that amount of money knowing his bad attitude at work and knowing how unprofessional he is. It was a risk the organization didn't want to take. The chosed Kobe in his prime over Shaq. It's not a scandal. We probably could have won another ring with Shaq, but we would have fucked up the franchise till the end of Shaq's contract wasting Kobe's prime the same way we're doing it. At least now we have a young team who can improve. Talking about stats, anyway, Bynum's numbers are better than Shaq's ones (and Bynum averages 10 mpg less than Shaq).

But that's not the point.

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »

Man Shaq didn't care about the Lakers, he didn't even care about rings. He just wanted to get paid. He wanted to get a lot of money for his last contract as a pro, and the Lakers didn't want to give him that amount of money knowing his bad attitude at work and knowing how unprofessional he is. It was a risk the organization didn't want to take. The chosed Kobe in his prime over Shaq. It's not a scandal. We probably could have won another ring with Shaq, but we would have fucked up the franchise till the end of Shaq's contract wasting Kobe's prime the same way we're doing it. At least now we have a young team who can improve. Talking about stats, anyway, Bynum's numbers are better than Shaq's ones (and Bynum averages 10 mpg less than Shaq).

My point is A) Shaq's current output isn't indicitive of a lack of conditioning, it's age.  Of course he could have conditioned better, but it wouldn't increase his current numbers.  His current numbers mirror that of all of the great centers at the end of their careers, dudes that were in WAY better condition. 

B) GB said that they got rid of Shaq at the perfect time and cited 2 games from this season as if Shaq was just traded this offseason.  I was arguing that point because it was actually 4 seasons ago and Shaq got a ring since then.

We've gone around 1000x about Shaq and Kobe and what should have been done and that's not where I'm trying to go.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »

Sad but true.

There's lots of centers older than Shaq that are in better shape, and they still fell off drastically at the end of their careers.  Of course Shaq could have excercised more, but it wouldn't have him averaging 30 & 20 after 15+ years in the league.  Shaq declined just like all bigs decline - look at guys like Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, Kareem, etc.  They were all in better shape than Shaq but they still fell off just like he's doing.

LOL...Shaq's decline came way quicker and it was rapid, due to his lack of conditioning/dieting throughout the years... Anyone who knows Shaq will tell you this. Lakers coulda' won 7 in a row by now...PeACe

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 11:10:08 AM »

My point is A) Shaq's current output isn't indicitive of a lack of conditioning, it's age.  Of course he could have conditioned better, but it wouldn't increase his current numbers.  His current numbers mirror that of all of the great centers at the end of their careers, dudes that were in WAY better condition. 

B) GB said that they got rid of Shaq at the perfect time and cited 2 games from this season as if Shaq was just traded this offseason.  I was arguing that point because it was actually 4 seasons ago and Shaq got a ring since then.

We've gone around 1000x about Shaq and Kobe and what should have been done and that's not where I'm trying to go.

I do agree. I mean Shaq is 35 years old now, he's 325-330 lbs, he has bad knees. It's a natural thing he fell off. It's simple as that: the 32 years old Shaq wasn't worth the amount of money he asked back in the days, imho. That's why i think we did the right move by trading him. He won a ring? Ok. Good for him. But pls understand it was just a "business move" done by both Shaq (who got himself a wonderful contract) and the Lakers (who didn't fuck up the salary cap for years). Kobe had nothing to do with this decision imho. Kobe was just doing another business move, by going F.A. and trying to get the max amount of money possible too. Exactly like Shaq. Both Kobe and Shaq used each others to have a good excuse to hide the real reasons behind the separation.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 11:10:29 AM »

Are you fuckin' kidding me? Dude is not THAT old, he's 35...If you don't think his fall off has anything to do with his lack of conditioning over the years, then you're lying to yourself...PeACe