Author Topic: Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time  (Read 1670 times)

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 11:13:32 AM »
My point is A) Shaq's current output isn't indicitive of a lack of conditioning, it's age.  Of course he could have conditioned better, but it wouldn't increase his current numbers.  His current numbers mirror that of all of the great centers at the end of their careers, dudes that were in WAY better condition. 

Are you fuckin' kidding me? Dude is not THAT old, he's 35...If you don't think his fall off has anything to do with his lack of conditioning over the years, then you're lying to yourself...PeACe

Honestly i wasn't expecting Shaq to play better than he is. It was predictable. So much the Lakers didn't sign his contract extension. When you are 325-330 lbs and you are 35, you have to be a superathlete working 24 hours a day to get yourself in a good condition. Shaq just ain't this time of man. Everybody (including Riley) knows that.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 11:17:44 AM »
My point is A) Shaq's current output isn't indicitive of a lack of conditioning, it's age.  Of course he could have conditioned better, but it wouldn't increase his current numbers.  His current numbers mirror that of all of the great centers at the end of their careers, dudes that were in WAY better condition. 

Are you fuckin' kidding me? Dude is not THAT old, he's 35...If you don't think his fall off has anything to do with his lack of conditioning over the years, then you're lying to yourself...PeACe

Honestly i wasn't expecting Shaq to play better than he is. It was predictable. So much the Lakers didn't sign his contract extension. When you are 325-330 lbs and you are 35, you have to be a superathlete working 24 hours a day to get yourself in a good condition. Shaq just ain't this time of man. Everybody (including Riley) knows that.

Shaq is no Kareem...Kareem was dedicated to being as good as he could be. That's why I was glad when we let Shaq go...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 11:23:54 AM »
Kareem (Age 35):
24 PPG
8.7 RPG
2.7 BPG
3 APG
35 MPG

And he won 4 more rings after that!

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 12:31:19 PM »

Shaq is no Kareem...Kareem was dedicated to being as good as he could be. That's why I was glad when we let Shaq go...PeACe

I was glad about it too.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 12:35:34 PM »
The only bad thing was that we couldn't get anything good in return for shipping him out.... Yes, he blows now but we still could have gotten a better deal for him... Kupchak is a homo... West would have never made such a lopsided deal.

Sad but true.

At the perfect time?  You act like you just dumped him, he got a ring since he left LA.  Don't laugh at those lines, that looks like career averages from Bynum.  Hate on old man Shaq all you want, it doesn't take away that he was undisputably the most dominant player in the league for years.  Shit, hate on Kareem and Wilt while you're at it, cuz they fell of w/ age too.

Ok why are you telling me he won a ring? Did you not read the first line in my post? And yeah let's compare him to Bynum, a guy who's only played 130 games in his career  ::)

I just think it's pathetic to bag on a guy for being old.  Doing a few more situps 5 years ago wouldn't change his statline much at all today.  Look at guys like David Robinson who was a physical freak till the day he retired and yet and still had significant drop off.  Went from averaging something like 30 ppgs to less than 10.  It happens to pretty much all big men - you think Shaq should still be averaging 30 & 20?

And then saying you got rid of him in the nick of time, like you traded him last week.  This is what, the 4th season now?  Seems to me he was traded a couple years too soon.  Just another monumental fuck up by the Lakers FO.

Lol Alonzo Mourning is 2 years older than him but he's still in great shape. Shaq is in the position he's in because his conditioning has sucked since the Orlando days.

There's lots of centers older than Shaq that are in better shape, and they still fell off drastically at the end of their careers.  Of course Shaq could have excercised more, but it wouldn't have him averaging 30 & 20 after 15+ years in the league.  Shaq declined just like all bigs decline - look at guys like Ewing, Olajuwon, Robinson, Kareem, etc.  They were all in better shape than Shaq but they still fell off just like he's doing.

Those guys were still contributers. Shaq is nothing more than a liability. He'll have 20 & 10 games this season but I know Shaq - its only a matter of time before he takes his usual late fall-early winter vacation.

Mourning + Haslem + Davis + Wade + Williams

>

Shaq + Haslem + Davis + Wade + Williams
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 12:36:31 PM »
Pacers 2-0!!

Lol Danny Granger fuckin tortured Miami last night! That dude is gonna be a problem.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 01:58:44 PM »
Yuore still on this man? 

Shaq brought his team to a conferecne final and got a ring, Lakers aint do shit since. Heat won, its over.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 03:16:58 PM »

Those guys were still contributers. Shaq is nothing more than a liability.

Exactly.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 03:17:46 PM »
Shaq brought his team to a conferecne final and got a ring, Lakers aint do shit since. Heat won, its over.

Wrong.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 05:00:09 PM »

Wrong.

lol, i do admire you devotion to the Lakers i must admit.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »
Shaq played a big part in those championships...nobody can deny that... but there were moments in a lot of those games that Mr. Bryant dominated too... but they both had help from the likes of Fisher, especially Robert Horry's heroics, and others who stepped up and played there roles.     
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 07:51:24 PM »
Shaq played a big part in those championships...nobody can deny that... but there were moments in a lot of those games that Mr. Bryant dominated too... but they both had help from the likes of Fisher, especially Robert Horry's heroics, and others who stepped up and played there roles.     

well put, this battle is so uselwss nad boring 4 years later. Facts are facts tho, Par Riley brought in Shaq to get closer to a title and in his first year they went from first round exit to conference championship and after that to the Nba Title while The Lakers missed the playoffs and got eliminated n the first round. These are facts you cant despute.

With that said i think this hole thread is wrong because at the time they traded Shaq i believe Shaq had enough gas to help the LAkers win 1 or 2 more Titles, the proof is that he did with Miami as i mentionned.

Is he finished now? He's def not in his prime anymore. DId the Heat give him a way too big contract? Perharps but it gave them a Title wich is the bottom line. Sometimes you have to overpay on a contract money wise and lenght wise to get a missing piece of the puzzle. You only do this kinda of move if you are garanteed a title and the Heat felt this would.

End of discussion.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2007, 09:24:54 PM »
You have to remember though that the Lakers lost more than just Shaq that year he left.... it's not like Kobe inherited the same team with just Shaq missing.

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 12:46:44 AM »
You have to remember though that the Lakers lost more than just Shaq that year he left.... it's not like Kobe inherited the same team with just Shaq missing.

Good point a lot of the supporting cast left but that dosent change the points i made frm the Miami Heat perspective.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 01:00:50 AM »
Never disputed the Heat perspective.... they picked him up and improved their team. They (and especially with Wade) gave O'Neal a good surrounding. My point was just from the Lakers perspective, and for anybody wondering why Kobe wasn't able to match the feats with him being the sole leader of the team.