Author Topic: Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time  (Read 1677 times)

GangstaBoogy

Re: Man we got rid of Shaq at the perfect time
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2007, 01:56:45 AM »
You have to remember though that the Lakers lost more than just Shaq that year he left.... it's not like Kobe inherited the same team with just Shaq missing.

I really wish they wouldn't have blown the team up like that so we can have a fair discussion. I've been having this same argument with Kobe haters for 3 1/2 years now. Shaq was traded, but so was Rick Fox + Gary Payton, Fisher wasn't offered a contract, Horace Grant + Karl Malone were considering retiring (and ultimately did), Horry had been let go the year before. So Kobe was left with Devean George, Medvedenko, Kareem Rush, Luke Walton, and a broken promise.

Shiet trading Shaq for Odom + Butler + Grant would've have looked so bad if we kept the rest of our core players.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

wcsoldier

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2007, 01:53:16 AM »
I think it's really TIME to move on ... everything has been said about this subject ... this discussion is  WAY played out ... Shaq doesn't play for us anymore so who the fuck cares

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2007, 03:30:58 AM »
getting rid of Butler for nothing is what made that trade worst.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2007, 03:37:43 AM »
They traded Shaq, Payton, Fox and Atkins for Odom, Brown, Mihm & Picks...  :-X
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

wcsoldier

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2007, 03:59:03 AM »
getting rid of Butler for nothing is what made that trade worst.
once again take a look at the 04-05 season in which we were constantly outrebounded and clowned by the bigs in the paint ... of course Butler is a way better players statistic wise than Kwame but I really don't think it will result in a better record for us ...  compare the 05-06 Lakers defense and the 06-07 one (Kwame missed half of this one) and you got some indications of the important aspect of Kwame in our team ... I ain't sayng he's worth 9 Milllions a year or isn't dissapointing on the offensive end .. but Kwame isn't the main reason of our mediocrity ...  Butler would result in more jumpers and 3s , is that a good thing for us ? of course not

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2007, 10:14:19 AM »
I think it's really TIME to move on ... everything has been said about this subject ... this discussion is  WAY played out ... Shaq doesn't play for us anymore so who the fuck cares

LOL, thats what I'm sayin.  Peeps still tryin to make themselves feel better about it to this day.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2007, 10:31:27 AM »
Shaq played a big part in those championships...nobody can deny that... but there were moments in a lot of those games that Mr. Bryant dominated too... but they both had help from the likes of Fisher, especially Robert Horry's heroics, and others who stepped up and played there roles.     

well put, this battle is so uselwss nad boring 4 years later. Facts are facts tho, Par Riley brought in Shaq to get closer to a title and in his first year they went from first round exit to conference championship and after that to the Nba Title while The Lakers missed the playoffs and got eliminated n the first round. These are facts you cant despute.

With that said i think this hole thread is wrong because at the time they traded Shaq i believe Shaq had enough gas to help the LAkers win 1 or 2 more Titles, the proof is that he did with Miami as i mentionned.

Is he finished now? He's def not in his prime anymore. DId the Heat give him a way too big contract? Perharps but it gave them a Title wich is the bottom line. Sometimes you have to overpay on a contract money wise and lenght wise to get a missing piece of the puzzle. You only do this kinda of move if you are garanteed a title and the Heat felt this would.

End of discussion.

You're mistaking...A rookie Dwyane Wade got the Heat to the Eastern Semis before Shaq even stepped foot into town. Shaq had as much to do with the Heats championship as Alonzo Mourning or Gary Payton...That's all I'm saying. Kobe's been in a totally different situation since the departure, which is why you can't compare. Shaq in Kobe's shoes woulda had the Lakers lottery bound for the past 3 years, no question. Shaq pretty much could not co-exist with Kobe if the offense (+ attention, money) wasn't gunna run through him, which is what made him demand the trade. Kareem, Hakeem, D-Rob etc. woulda' handled it differently...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2007, 10:33:44 AM »

Wrong.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2007, 11:13:30 AM »

Wrong.

Wow, that's an explicit answer. Nigga please.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2007, 09:04:08 PM »
Maybe...but you're still wrong.

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2007, 12:40:16 AM »
Shaq was is and will always be missed in L.A.
Fuck it, anyway we fan's try and suger coat it, the fact is no team is worse off having the Best big man to every play this game.
(IMO) besides Bill Russel, & Kareem & Wilt...ect ;)

Still/Always a Shaq fan..

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2007, 01:14:22 AM »
he won a ring since he left ... so LA got rid of him 2 seasons to soon.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2007, 11:14:34 AM »

Payton also won a ring...did we get rid of him too soon as well?

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2007, 12:20:29 PM »

LOL your crazy man. thats  not a fair comparison. shaq still averaged 20 and 10 for 2 seasons after leaving your fav team. i agree with u that last season and this season he is washed up

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2007, 12:36:27 PM »

LOL your crazy man. thats  not a fair comparison. shaq still averaged 20 and 10 for 2 seasons after leaving your fav team. i agree with u that last season and this season he is washed up

Shaq has been a liablity since he left LA. Alright, maybe he did a lot in his first season with Miami, but it still wasn't enough. They only got better the following year, when he took a step back. And they still didn't deserve that ring, IMO. Worst champions ever, and Shaq was not even the main man on that team. The comparison is dead on. Jason Williams, Antoine Walker, Gary Payton, Alonzo Mourning, etc were just as vital to that title run as Shaq...PeACe