Author Topic: I'm On My East Coast Shit Pt.1; Jay-Z Thread  (Read 686 times)

Lunatic

I'm On My East Coast Shit Pt.1; Jay-Z Thread
« on: November 09, 2007, 03:49:59 PM »
What it do y'all? Recently listened to Jay-Z's discography after so long (yes im late). I had of course heard all his singles and shit for the most part, but never decided to listen to a single jay-z album. Well I finally bought into the hype + hate and decided to see for myself what the fuss/hate is all about. With all that + the hype of the American Gangster album, I decided to peep into his music

1. Reasonable Doubt - No doubt in my mind, Jigga's greatest album. Fuck all the talk bout the black album bein better. Fuck all the talk about the blueprint bein better. Just fuck it. This one is better easily. Jigga's lyrics on this shit is ridiculous, and the beats are outta this world man.
Top 5 Tracks
Politics As Usual
Dead Presidents
Brooklyn's Finest
D'Evils
Worse Track(s)
Bring It On
Overall Rating: 9.1/10

2. In My Lifetime Vol.1 - Real good follow up album. Real real good. The tracks that resemble his debut were so fantastic, it's crazy (talkin bout songs that could of made his debut & there wouldn't be a problem with it). The only minor problem with this album is the mainstream appealing songs. This album could of been a classic if it wasn't for a few tracks
Top 5 Tracks
Imaginary Prayer
Streets Is Watching
Lucky Me
Where I'm From
You Must Love Me
Worse Tracks
I Know What Girls Like
Always Be My Sunshine
Overall Rating: 8.9/10

3. Vol.2...Hard Knock Life - This is where Jigga really gets mainstream, but i don't mind too much. Still a good album, filled with bangers. Don't have too much to say bout this one LOL
Top 5 Tracks
Hard Knock Life (Ghetto Anthem)
A Week Ago
Can I Get A...
Resevoir Dogs
Money Ain't a Thing
Worse Tracks
Coming Of Age (Da Sequel)
Paper Chase
It's Alright
Overall Rating - 8.6/10

4. Vol. 3 Life & Times Of S.Carter - I was expecting a lot from this album. I really was. A solid effort, but not as good as his 1st 3. Album has a lot of good songs, and jigga classics, but FILLED with too many fillers
Top 5 Tracks
Watch Me
Big Pimpin
There's Been a Murder
Come & Get Me
So Ghetto
Worse Tracks
Hova Song (Intro)
Do It Agian
Things That You Do
It's Hot
Hova Song (Outro)
Overall Rating - 8.1/10

5. Dynasty Roc La Familia - Many people will argue whether or not this is a jigga album or not. If you ask me, it is. This album is a gift & a curse to me (no pun intended). It is filled with bangers, but a few to many average/bad songs as well. If this album was shorter, we'd have a classic on our hands. At the same time, this album is meant to show off the talent of other R.O.C artists, and the best way to do that, is give the fans an album of them in bulk
Top 5 Tracks
Change The Game
I Just Wanna Love You
Parkin Lot Pimpin
Squeeze First
This Can't Be Life
Worse Tracks
Get Your Mind Right Mami
You, Me, Him, Her
Holla
1-900 Hustler
Where Have You Been
Overall Rating: 7.2/10

6. The Blueprint - This is THE album i was looking forward to. Everyone LOVES this album. This was pose to Jigga's best work. Classic shit. I was disappointed. Don't get me wrong, still a good album, but NOT nearly as good as everyone says. At first I said to myself "damn, maybe i just went in with too much hype". But after several listens, I decided "nah, i just ain't feelin this nearly as much as everyone else". Now there ain't a whole lot of bad songs, but too many average cuts for 13 song album.
Top 5 Tracks
Takeover
Izzo
Renegade
Heart Of The City
Song Cry
Worse Tracks
Girls, Girls, Girls (maybe the most bland rap song ever)
Hola Hovito
Blueprint (Momma Loves Me)
Overall Rating: 8.3/10

7. The Blueprint 2: The Gift & The Curse - The problem with most double disc albums, and what keeps them from reaching the material's full potential is that it is too much. Lots of good songs, Lots of bad/avg ones. This album is no different. Now I can't blame Jigga, as NO artist should be expected to drop an album filled with 30-40 gems in about a year.
Top 5 Tracks
A Dream
The Watcher 2
Meet The Parents
Some How, Some Way
A Ballad For A Fallen Soldier
Let me say there are a few more DOPE cuts, but didn't make my top 5
Worse Tracks
What They Gonna Do
The Bounce
Diamonds Is Forever
u Don't Know
N*gga Please
Bitches & Sisters
+ a whole lot more average tracks
Overall Rating: 7.8/10

8. The Black Album - This is it. Jigga's last who rah. The final album. His goodbye to the game. If he went out here, this woulda been the perfect way to do it. There are so many dope songs, it is crazy. Beats - on point. Lyrics - on point. Damn near everything was done to perfection
Top 5 Songs
Change Clothes
Dirt Off Your Shoulder
Threat
99 Problems
Moment Of Clarity
+ a ridiculous amount of dope songs
Worse Songs
let me say NONE of these songs are "bad" or even average, just not as good as the rest of the album IMO
Allure
Lucifer
Overall Rating: 8.9/10

9. Kingdom Come - So Jigga decides he is no longer retired. He's comin back, he's hungry agian. Although the album has it's bangers here & there, for the most part it's bland, boring, and uninspired. An average hip-hop album. Now I am one who is always happy with more & more material, so i can't personally say that "i wish this album would of never came out" but i can see why some might say that, seeing as the black album was so damn good.
Top 5 Tracks
Lost Ones
30 Something
Minority Report
Beach Chair
I Made It
Worse Songs
The Prelude
Kingdom Come
Hollywood
Trouble
Dig a Hole
Overall Rating: 7.8/10

10. American Gangster - Jigga's 10th album Y'all. An accomplishment that 95% of rappers can only dream of. This album also came outta nowhere might I add LOL. So Jigga decides he would like to record his own personal soundtrack to the movie of the same name, i'm all for it. For the most part I like the production on the album (a lil boring at times) and Jigga's lyrics were tight. Also let me add, it may a bit early to call, but what the heck.
Top 5 Tracks
Pray
No Hook
Ignorant Shit
Success
Blue Magic
+ a few more good records
Worse Tracks
Sweet
I Know
Say Hello (tough decision for me to put it here. I know most were feeling Toomp's beat, but i wasn't)
American Gangster
Overall Rating: 8.1/10

Overall, Jigga has a real impressive catalog, also one rappers can only dream bout havin. All in all, he's one of the greatest to ever do it. Not the best, and not even top 3 or even 5, but top 10-15 is fair.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: I'm On My East Coast Shit Pt.1; Jay-Z Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 04:36:46 PM »
props on all that work lol. rele interesting, kinda makes me wanna peep all those albums, ill prolly get around to that soon. altho i think u slighty underrated the blueprint, for the most part u were right on it. good work luna +1

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 04:43:08 PM »
On point, mostly..
Except for the Blueprint.. Bump the album once again ;)
...And that u got Change Clothes on the top of "top 5" off of Black Album :o
The album's weakest track imo.

kemizt

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 04:52:15 PM »
+1 chamillitary
dub: i love that song, the smoothness baby!! :D

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 04:54:23 PM »
+1 chamillitary
dub: i love that song, the smoothness baby!! :D

lmao the smooothnesss  :laugh:

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 05:00:32 PM »
You had me bumpin The Blueprint. fuck u :P
AND FUCK JAY Z :laugh:

kemizt

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 05:48:47 PM »
You had me bumpin The Blueprint. fuck u :P
AND FUCK JAY Z :laugh:
:D
+1 doggie
he's got a great discography

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 05:53:01 PM »
im sorry Lunatic, you my boy n all but this review of Jigga's collection is bullshit to me. examples: "You, Me and Him", "Blueprint (My Momma Loves Me)" "Girls" and "Bitches and Sisters" as worst tracks?? re-listen please mate.

truth be told, i havent listened to "Kingdom Come" besides the Dre tracks, obviously, but still this whole 'review' was pretty poor. +1 though for the time spent listening to each record.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 05:57:12 PM »
im sorry Lunatic, you my boy n all but this review of Jigga's collection is bullshit to me. examples: "You, Me and Him", "Blueprint (My Momma Loves Me)" "Girls" and "Bitches and Sisters" as worst tracks?? re-listen please mate.

truth be told, i havent listened to "Kingdom Come" besides the Dre tracks, obviously, but still this whole 'review' was pretty poor. +1 though for the time spent listening to each record.

Yes, that kinda crazy.. + Lucifer is one of the best track on BA imo

kemizt

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 06:09:25 PM »
damn, how could you not like the prelude? imo thats his best song outta his last 4 albums

Lunatic

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »

opinions i guess man
you like girls, girls, girls? such a boring ass track :-\

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:03 PM »

had to - girls girls girls - NEGRO PLEASE!

LOL ive always wantedto say that!

not  a big Jay fan but he does have a better discog than most other rappers....

maybe u shud review/listen to tha streetz is watchin ost...pretty gd

Raphael

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007, 01:27:37 AM »
Worse Track(s)
Bring It On

what? thats the 2nd best track on the album ..aint no nigga would be the worst imo.

wcsoldier

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007, 01:42:39 AM »

Jay catalog is comparable to Snoop one ... one half is very good , the other is weak ....... KC .... Hard Knoc life vol2, vol 3, the Dynasty , Blueprint 2 are fulled of fillers ... quantity over quality ... if u talk about best catalog , Ghostface (even if I don't like his voice) Nas (and Cube but off topic ) have the best catalog

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007, 05:06:28 AM »
Worse Track(s)
Bring It On

what? thats the 2nd best track on the album ..aint no nigga would be the worst imo.

lol to luna it was bad when he listened, im sure there is some own personal opinon in doin this.