Author Topic: Lakers trade Cook and Evans for Trevor Ariza  (Read 286 times)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Lakers trade Cook and Evans for Trevor Ariza
« on: November 20, 2007, 03:04:41 PM »
Magic Acquire Brian Cook and Maurice Evans From L.A. Lakers

Orlando sends Trevor Ariza to the Lakers in three-player deal; Also waives Bo Outlaw

November 20, 2007

Orlando, FL – The Orlando Magic have acquired forward Brian Cook and guard Maurice Evans from the Los Angeles Lakers in exchange for forward Trevor Ariza, General Manager Otis Smith announced today. In addition, the Magic have waived forward Bo Outlaw.

“Brian (Cook) helps bolster our frontcourt,” said Smith. “He is a power forward who shoots the ball extremely well, while also bringing added toughness to our roster. Maurice (Evans) is a tremendous athlete, a solid defender and capable of playing multiple positions. Both Brian and Maurice fit in very well with what we are trying to accomplish.”

Smith also added: “Trevor (Ariza) is a great talent and we certainly wish him well. We also thank Bo (Outlaw) for everything he has done for our organization as a player.”

Cook (6’9”, 250, 12/4/80, Illinois, 4 years) has played in six games (two starts) this season with the L.A. Lakers, averaging 2.3 ppg. and 1.7 rpg. in 11.7 minpg. Evans (6’5”, 220, 11/8/78, Texas, 4 years) has appeared in seven games this season with the Lakers, averaging 4.4 ppg., 1.7 apg. and 1.3 rpg. in 13.7 minpg.

Cook has played in 259 career NBA regular season games, all with the Lakers, averaging 6.6 ppg. and 3.2 rpg. in 16.0 minpg. He has shot .392 (162-413) from three-point range. Cook has also appeared in 25 postseason contests, averaging 3.0 ppg. and 1.6 rpg. in 7.0 minpg. Originally selected in the first round (24th overall) of the 2003 NBA Draft by the Lakers, Cook netted a career-high 28 points on Feb. 7, 2006 @ Dallas and pulled down a career-best 14 rebounds on Mar. 4, 2007 @ Phoenix.

Evans has appeared in 238 career NBA regular season games with Minnesota, Sacramento, Detroit and the Lakers, averaging 6.3 ppg. and 2.5 rpg. in 17.8 minpg. He has also played in 24 playoff outings, averaging 4.0 ppg. and 1.2 rpg. in 10.0 minpg. Evans originally signed as a free agent with Minnesota on July 23, 2001, after he was not selected during the 2001 NBA Draft. He poured in a career-high 26 points on Feb. 25, 2007 @ Golden State and recorded a career-best 14 rebounds on Mar. 8, 2005 vs. Memphis.

Ariza has played in 11 games this season with the Magic, averaging 3.3 ppg. and 2.2 rpg. in 10.5 minpg. Outlaw has played in two games with Orlando this season, averaging 2.0 ppg. in 3.5 minpg.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Lakers trade Cook and Evans for Trevor Ariza
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:46 PM »
Damn... Mo Evans has been a sparkplug off of the bench the past few games.. 
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 03:14:48 PM »
evans been playing nice recently
ariza is cool 2...can bring some nice energy with some high-flying plays
can't say yet who won this one...
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 03:15:28 PM »
Hell yes!

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 03:16:48 PM »
I damn near had a heart attack when they announced the Lakers made a trade on espn (I tuned in at the exact time they announced it). Was relieved Kobe wasn't apart of it.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 03:36:58 PM »
HELL YEAH!!!! I've always loved Trevor!!! (check the other thread)
Good trade!!
YES!
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:39:50 PM by Antonio »

BIG SB

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:00 PM »
hell yea finally that bum cook is gone, I've been praying for his departure for years.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007, 03:39:39 PM »
OMG FINALLY A GOOD TRADE! Concrete feet Cook is finally gone! Ahh man what a beautiful day. Welcome to the team Ariza.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007, 03:40:57 PM »
Excellent defender. Great worker. Big. Athletic. Lengthy...And he's another UCLA guy, too. I love it.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_p6MpMn47mE" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_p6MpMn47mE</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QDbD2LQCnmY" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QDbD2LQCnmY</a>

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 03:42:35 PM »
Let's celebrate!! 

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
Like it or not, Lakers gonna miss that spot up Three Pointer Cook's hit's once in a while (When he got minutes)..
& Mo was a boost of energy to back up the second squad..

let's see what happens, IMO a 2 for 1 deal is always a win in favor of the team that got 2.

Peace out MO, Peace Cook. GL on the best team in the Eastern Conference  ;)

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 03:53:19 PM »
^ We still have Vlad. And if worse comes to worse - Sasha

Grading The Deal: Lakers Steal Ariza
Trevor Ariza, who has been buried on the bench behind Rashard Lewis and Hedo Turkoglu has been traded to the Lakers for Brian Cook and Maruice Evans.

Ariza was labeled a ‘situational’ player by new head coach Stan Van Gundy. He averaged just 10.5 minutes per game and played more than 20 minutes just twice.

It was no surprise to see his floor time decrease due to the addition of Lewis, but Ariza was a very productive player last season, averaging 8.9 points and 4.3 rebounds per game in just 22.4 minutes. He shot 54% from the floor and was one of the NBA's most efficient rebounders at the small forward position.

His athleticism on the wing (defensively and offensively) will serve a need that Luke Walton, Vladimir Radmanovic and Sasha Vujacic cannot fill.

Another added benefit is that Bryant will no longer need to defend opposing team's best wing for the entire game.

He also is signed for less money ($3.1 million) and one fewer season than Cook ($3.5 million).

This is easily the best trade of Mitch Kupchak's tenure.

Grade for Lakers: A

In Brian Cook, the Magic acquire an awful 6-9 rebounder, who is unathletic, mostly shoots from the perimeter and has an unforgivable PER of 1.60 this season. He also has a -15 plus/minus this season.

Plus, don’t the Magic already have enough 3-point chuckers?

His shooting percentage (19% FG/20% 3-pt) will surely rebound in the Orlando offense, which is better suited to his strength’s. He is typically at least a 40% 3-point shooter, but between Lewis, Turkoglu, Keith Bogans and Pat Garrity, the Magic already shoot over 25 3-pointers per game.

Evans, who just turned 29, is a versatile player, who can round out a rotation in a few different ways, but is a decided downgrade on the wing from Ariza. He is shooting 32% from the floor and 14% from 3-point territory this season.

The logic from Otis Smith’s perspective is difficult to understand.

“Brian (Cook) helps bolster our frontcourt,” said Smith in a statement. “He is a power forward who shoots the ball extremely well, while also bringing added toughness to our roster. Maurice (Evans) is a tremendous athlete, a solid defender and capable of playing multiple positions. Both Brian and Maurice fit in very well with what we are trying to accomplish.”

As shrewd of a maneuver as it was to trade Steve Francis for Ariza and Penny Hardaway's expiring contract, this is equally bad for Orlando.

Grade for Magic: D+

http://www.realgm.com/src_fromtherafters/126/20071120/grading_the_deal_lakers_steal_ariza/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 03:55:53 PM by GangstaBoogy »
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 05:01:34 PM »
I would have liked to have seen Mo stay, but what's done is done... Welcome Trevor... don't let us down.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 05:53:36 PM »
Like it or not, Lakers gonna miss that spot up Three Pointer Cook's hit's once in a while (When he got minutes)..
& Mo was a boost of energy to back up the second squad..

let's see what happens, IMO a 2 for 1 deal is always a win in favor of the team that got 2.

Peace out MO, Peace Cook. GL on the best team in the Eastern Conference  ;)

Now we have Radman at full health for that spot-up position...Cook's flat shot has been brickin' as of late. He was my worst Laker. I'm glad we got rid of him. Mo Evans was nice to have, but I like Ariza way more. Especially on the potential scale. But even if, anything Mo can do, Ariza can do better. And now there's an extra roster spot, in case Webber or someone decides to sign with us...Plus, more playing time for Critt and Turiaf. This move was not only wonderful because of what we got, but it was also addition by subtraction...PeACe
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 05:55:17 PM by Now_I_Know »

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2007, 05:58:57 PM »
The only thing I am going to miss about Cook is cursing the hell out of my TV and throwing shoes at it because of him....