Author Topic: There Will Be Blood (Masterpiece? Film of the Decade?)  (Read 1631 times)

Elano

Re: There Will Be Blood (Masterpiece? Film of the Decade?)
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2007, 10:20:30 AM »
i don't see anything special about this movie  ::)

Can I get a list of 5 of your favourite films? Just wondering.

of all time ?

Yeah.

I like a lot of movies,i can't tell you right now my favourites because i gotta go.....but sure this can't be "film of the decade" for several reasons,and one is this movie:
http://www.nocountryforoldmen-themovie.com/

No Country is good. Probably will win, and it's enough proof for me to take your opinion serious. I was just making sure your idea of film of the year wasn't Live Free or Die Hard, or saying something like Scarface was robbed. Raging Bull sure, Scarface? No way.

Hey man is good to have different opinions and views,i just don't like the story behind the movie....that's why i can't call it a masterpice or "film of the decade",maybe when i'll see the movie i'll change my mind.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2007, 11:44:24 AM »

of all time ?

Yeah.

I like a lot of movies,i can't tell you right now my favourites because i gotta go.....but sure this can't be "film of the decade" for several reasons,and one is this movie:

No Country is good. Probably will win, and it's enough proof for me to take your opinion serious. I was just making sure your idea of film of the year wasn't Live Free or Die Hard, or saying something like Scarface was robbed. Raging Bull sure, Scarface? No way.

Hey man is good to have different opinions and views,i just don't like the story behind the movie....that's why i can't call it a masterpice or "film of the decade",maybe when i'll see the movie i'll change my mind.

All I said was "Looks promising". I never said anything more than that. When you said you don't see anything special I took it to mean you thought it looked like a bad film, rather than you didn't see a masterpiece.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 09:04:48 PM »
hmmm...oil movie, huh? :P
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 06:17:49 PM »

of all time ?

Yeah.

and is there a reason as to why people should take your opinion seriously? now before u say, i know u do not actually say that anywhere but by saying to someone "proof for me to take your opinioon serious" its comes across as you implying that your opinion should be taken more seriously or greater? maybe im just reading too much into the comment but maybe you can elaborate if im not....

and oh and live fee die hard is actually a good movie....nothing like film of the year or anything, im just sayin i enjoyed watchin it.......

different opinoons are great as are people who all bring something different to the table....ofcourse if someone says something ridiculous everyone will know anyways if someone can be taken serious or not...

i'll wait until i've watched the movie to decide whether its good
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 06:25:43 PM by LyRiCaL_G »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2007, 07:23:32 PM »
It's much deeper than just an oil movie.  The themes of the film are much more powerful than the oil itself.  There's a father-son relationship going on, a look into the early 1900s stage of American capitalism, and the power of a church.   I just came home from watching it.  Along with No Country for Old Men these two movies are just on another level compared to the rest. 

Here's my top 5 of 2007

1.  There Will Be Blood
2.  No Country for Old Men
3.  Zodiac
4.  Ratatouille
5.  Knocked Up

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2007, 07:41:17 PM »

of all time ?

Yeah.

and is there a reason as to why people should take your opinion seriously? now before u say, i know u do not actually say that anywhere but by saying to someone "proof for me to take your opinioon serious" its comes across as you implying that your opinion should be taken more seriously or greater? maybe im just reading too much into the comment but maybe you can elaborate if im not....

and oh and live fee die hard is actually a good movie....nothing like film of the year or anything, im just sayin i enjoyed watchin it.......

different opinoons are great as are people who all bring something different to the table....ofcourse if someone says something ridiculous everyone will know anyways if someone can be taken serious or not...

What it means is that we have the same opinion of what great movies are, me and Elano that is. If he were to say that Get Rich or Die Trying was one of the great films of all time he'd be entitled to that opinion. And I'd be entitled to never discuss film with him ever again.

I'm not going to try ad debate the good art vs bad art because yes it is subjective. Many people with tastes similar to mine loved Crash, I thought it was easily the worst film to ever win the award.

I guess there is no real proof in art. I can proove that I am faster or slowe than any one runner in a 100 metre dash but can I prove that Marlon Brando is a better actor than Will Smith? There may not be a single person in the film industry that would say Smith but there's probably a bunch of Fresh Prince fans that think Street Car or Waterfront were terrible.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 08:35:06 AM »

of all time ?

Yeah.

What it means is that we have the same opinion of what great movies are, me and Elano that is. If he were to say that Get Rich or Die Trying was one of the great films of all time he'd be entitled to that opinion. And I'd be entitled to never discuss film with him ever again.

I'm not going to try ad debate the good art vs bad art because yes it is subjective. Many people with tastes similar to mine loved Crash, I thought it was easily the worst film to ever win the award.

I guess there is no real proof in art. I can proove that I am faster or slowe than any one runner in a 100 metre dash but can I prove that Marlon Brando is a better actor than Will Smith? There may not be a single person in the film industry that would say Smith but there's probably a bunch of Fresh Prince fans that think Street Car or Waterfront were terrible.

yeah i see what you are saying and no doubt GRODT was a terrible movie

About Will Smith....i think his a great actor who chooses great movies which fit him, kinda like johnny depp....i think both are great actors...there are just as many great black actors out there as white and of all other cultures....i'm just pointing that out  because sometimes i get the feeling you're hella reluctant to give a black cat the props they deserve...again maybe im reading to much into shit but Marlon Brando is a legend no doubt...but so is will smith...again there is no doubt about this...his record speaks for itself....his impact in both music and film does aswell

Crash was a great movie....whether it was the best film to ever win an award or whatever...thats a totally different level of conversation.....

What i find sad is that for films to win awards they have to be a generic award winnin note film...people make a movie with an award in mind instead of making the best possible and creative product they can make...its like "okay this is how im going to make my film, so we can win an award"....and to me that brings down the level of the final product....such as million dollar baby....very nice movie....some good acting aswell....but it was sooo obvious that clint eastwood was only thinkin about awards when that film was made it actually quite funny....kinda like scorsese movies with learnardo dicaprio....whilst some of there films are actually great and scorsese makes brilliant movies, alot of his shit is only made with awards in mind....for example "okay we can't do this, because the majority will like it but the people who run the oscars will not"....do you understand what im saying? i'm not even disagreeing with anything you said in your post, im just sharing my thoughts and advancing on comments you made because i feel what you're saying but i gotta let u know what i feel too.

To me someone like Will Smith or Johnny Depp make great movies.....not because they are going to win oscars but because they are movies people will enjoy....naturally at the same time they make films that they can showcase there own skills as actors aswell no doubt with nominations in mind....but they get the perfect mix of both which is difficult to find....and im not even comparing Johnny Depp and Will smith as actors, im just saying their movies i enjoy watching....okay pirates of the carribean - dead mans chest was terrible but the first was great even though it would never win any major awards....it did what it set out to do very well and i think
that movies should be judged equally on that aswell....

for example, you can make a movie with great historical detail and accuracy and some real deep meaning behind it, a film which has had alot of thought put into it BUT if the final product lacks quality and cannot get people to watch it and enjoy it for what it is rather than the work they put in to making it....i'm not convinced whether films like that should get nominations....should they? maybe for the thought process that goes into making such films - MAYBE....but i'd rather see a blend of movies which are very intelligent and portrayed well on screen aswell as movies that went in with a simple but genius plan and make a quality movie in the end aswell....

thats how i see it anyways...

pz

p.s. magnolia and boogie nights are great films? what do you think? i highly disagree

pz
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 08:38:11 AM by LyRiCaL_G »

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »
Crash was a great movie....whether it was the best film to ever win an award or whatever...thats a totally different level of conversation.....

What i find sad is that for films to win awards they have to be a generic award winnin note film...people make a movie with an award in mind instead of making the best possible and creative product they can make...its like "okay this is how im going to make my film, so we can win an award"....and to me that brings down the level of the final product.

I think you're pretty much describing Crash here.  When Crash first came out I was a fan of it, but as the time has passed by and I look back at it, I'm liking it less and less.  Million Dollar Baby was faithfully adapted, all Clint wants is to tell a good story.  It's not like he added the ending so he can win at the Oscars.  You really think Scorsese was thinking about Awards while filming The Departed?  Besides the Godfather series, what other movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture with a blood bath in the end?  The Departed is  an action/thriller film that won Best Picture...that doesn't happen often.  And if we look at The Aviator, Scorsese just loves doing character study films  just take a look at Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.  And do you remember the last film like that has won Best Picture?  I guess Amadeus is the last one?  Not exactly sure, but that's more than 20 years ago. 

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 04:55:14 PM »
In addition with agreeing with every Javii said, which answers sme of what you said, I'll add a bit of my thoughts.

Smith was just the first name that came to mind. You can sub Brad Pittor Tom Cruise in there if you want. They are all good actors but no one has ever called them the greatest ever. Plenty of people have called Brando that. The point is that Smith, Pitt, and Cruise basically play similar roles in most of their films. They are being themselves acting as different people, or so it would seem. Brando becomes completely different people when he hits a big role and he does it masterfully. Last Tango in Paris came out just after Godfather. There are no similarities between the two performances what so ever, (except for the nasally voice he can't control). 90% of Will Smith films we just get Will Smith in differnt scenarios. He simply cannot do what Brando did, and neither can 99% of other movie stars.

I can't remember Boogie, and I never saw Magnolia. So I can't comment on them.

Working for the Oscar is often what makes the film better. I bet a lot of times directors take out stupid shit because they want an Oscar, sometimes not. As opposed to the Grammy which no real music artist should give a shit about.

I didn't care for the way the girl in Million Dollar baby got paralyzed and I hated every single minor character, but I usually hate the way Paul Haggis writes characters. I certainly did not want to see female Rocky and have Swank win the belt. If they had used a more realistic less draatic way to get her to go paralyzed I think it would have been a lt better, but Clint wasn't writing the film or the stories it was based on. From a directorial perspective it was phemoninal.

I don't think pleasing the masses should have any effect on whether any film wins an oscar. It's an award for artists given to them by their peers and each award should be based on what each voter thought was the best film that year. It doesn't always work that way but it should.  The masses generally like stupid things anyway. The Wire on HBO is 100 times the show that CSI or Desperte Housewives are but they get 100 ties the ratings Wire gets.

The best art really is a mirror on society that shows society for what it really is, not the pretentious hammer Paul Haggis talked about when he won his awarda few years back. In my opinion film is like paint, and both are at their finest when they comes as close to duplicating real life. If I can draw a painting of a man that looks so much like him you can't distinguish it from a photograph I am a superior artist than someone that cannot do the same. Thats how I see it. The more real the better. That doesn't mean I want films that have 15 minute secenes of a guy on the tiolet just shitting quietly. You can make creative  decisions to make something more entertaining and watchable and still make it real.

AndrE16686

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2007, 05:52:17 PM »

The best art really is a mirror on society that shows society for what it really is, not the pretentious hammer Paul Haggis talked about when he won his awarda few years back. In my opinion film is like paint, and both are at their finest when they comes as close to duplicating real life. If I can draw a painting of a man that looks so much like him you can't distinguish it from a photograph I am a superior artist than someone that cannot do the same. Thats how I see it. The more real the better. That doesn't mean I want films that have 15 minute secenes of a guy on the tiolet just shitting quietly. You can make creative  decisions to make something more entertaining and watchable and still make it real.

LOL Word.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2007, 09:02:44 PM »

What i find sad is that for films to win awards they have to be a generic award winnin note film...people make a movie with an award in mind instead of making the best possible and creative product they can make...its like "okay this is how im going to make my film, so we can win an award"....and to me that brings down the level of the final product.

I think you're pretty much describing Crash here.  When Crash first came out I was a fan of it, but as the time has passed by and I look back at it, I'm liking it less and less.  Million Dollar Baby was faithfully adapted, all Clint wants is to tell a good story.  It's not like he added the ending so he can win at the Oscars.  You really think Scorsese was thinking about Awards while filming The Departed?  Besides the Godfather series, what other movies have won the Oscar for Best Picture with a blood bath in the end?  The Departed is  an action/thriller film that won Best Picture...that doesn't happen often.  And if we look at The Aviator, Scorsese just loves doing character study films  just take a look at Taxi Driver and Raging Bull.  And do you remember the last film like that has won Best Picture?  I guess Amadeus is the last one?  Not exactly sure, but that's more than 20 years ago. 

scorcese had to win, it was comin and if you read my post i never diss scorcese, i recognize his a brilliant and i really have no arguments with what you're saying...i just dropped how i feel....also i like crash and i agree that was made with awards in mind but the actual moral of the story was impressive in my opinion and its a very good film...like i said, whether to me it deserves an oscar of the best film 2 win an oscar or whatever, thats completely different, bt i can deff vibe with what u sayin

pz

Elano

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:00 PM »

I don't know why Collateral has not won a Best Picture and other oscars,this movie is fuckin sick!

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2007, 12:24:47 AM »

scorcese had to win, it was comin and if you read my post i never diss scorcese, i recognize his a brilliant and i really have no arguments with what you're saying...i just dropped how i feel....also i like crash and i agree that was made with awards in mind but the actual moral of the story was impressive in my opinion and its a very good film...like i said, whether to me it deserves an oscar of the best film 2 win an oscar or whatever, thats completely different, bt i can deff vibe with what u sayin

pz

A lot of people feel he had to win an Oscar, but I remember reading an interview of he stated that he doesn't really think about winning the Oscar for Director or Picture anymore.  I'm thinking he's very happy about his films and where they stand in the history of Cinema. Then again he's not going to arrogantly say, "I deserve one for my next picture" lol

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »

pz

See, I just thought the film sucked. I watched it first before the big buzz when only a select few raved about it. I thought I must've missed something because I didn't see anything good about. The characters were cardboard cliches and stereotypes. Everythng was predictable plot wise. The dialogue was stupidly overtoned with the message Haggis was trying to send. The direction of certain scenes were way over dramatic, like the car crash rescue, and the blanks in the gun. I said must be wrong so I watched it again, and saw the same shit but even worse.

The message was fine but its presentation was ridiculous. I like the moral and message of Bobby McFerrin's Don't Worry Be Happy, but the song is still stupid. Take out the swearing and nudity and it'd make a great after school special to show in an 8th grade social studies class. All in all I thought the film was pushed by white apologists trying to make themselves feel better with regards to race relations. It's like if you didn't praise it you were a racist, or if you were a minority you were a sell out. Unless you were chinese, because all they were portrayed as were bad drivers who sell slaves.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 11:45:29 AM »
Hmm, so this little oil movies keeps on getting amazing reviews  ;)
http://www.2snaps.tv/9813624#comment-5076

"The film deserves to be in the great pantheon of American films such as Citizen Kane, Chinatown, The Godfather, The Godfather: Part II, Elmer Gantry, Days Of Heaven and Giant. It is a film we will be talking about for many decades to come."  by Jerry Dennis

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20168259,00.html?iid=top25-20071226-Movie+Review%3A+There+Will+Be+Blood
"A complete universe is created before a word is spoken in There Will Be Blood, a towering new American epic and instant modern classic " By Lisa Schwarzbaum

http://www.maximonline.com/entertainment/reviews.aspx?p_id=13357
"A masterpiece from Paul Thomas Anderson. You won't be able to shake it off." by Pete Hammond