Author Topic: Some of the Truest Shit U will Read about HipHop..  (Read 141 times)

Hambone (Guest)

Some of the Truest Shit U will Read about HipHop..
« on: June 18, 2001, 10:15:50 PM »
Fuck Ja Rule, Fuck Puffy.....Fuck any other Hip Hop artist that went to this event...and didnt take it seriously........Read on..and you will know why i said this...............

Will We Take Responsibility?
by - Davey D

Here we are a day or so after what turned out to be a Historic Hip Hop Summit in New York City and there's a lot to process and think about.. So much occurred, and it's hard to know where to begin.. Let me start by saying, I think the effort and intent was wonderful. Russell Simmons deserves major props for effectively using his star power to bring so many people from all walks of life under in one room. It wasn't a question of 'Who came there'? It was more of a question as to 'Who wasn't there'? At the height of the 2 day event during Minister Farrakhan's keynote address, I scanned the standing-room only hall and saw everyone who was anyone including; Hip Hop's pioneering Godfathers like; DJ Kool Herc, Grandmaster Flash, Afrika Bambaataa, The Nigga Twins, The Awesome Two, and Red Alert to name a few. Other stellar individuals who packed the house included Redman, Sista Souljah, Will Smith, Jada Pinkett, LL Cool J, dead prez, Fat Joe, Ja Rule, JT The Bigga Figga, Jahi, Sean P-Diddy Combs, Kwesi Mfume, Jermaine Dupri, Wyclef Jean, Professor Cornel West, author Kevin Powell, Professor Michael Eric Dyson author Tricia Rose and Keith Murray. Heck even former heavyweight champ Lennox Lewis stopped through..and that was only the short list..

Just to see so many people gathered in one place was incredible..The energy and the overall vibe was infectious. The speech from Minister Farrakhan and the follow up remarks from Chuck D and Sista Souljah were inspiring..Everything that needed to be said was said. There was talk about censorship, lyrical content, political empowerment, youth activism and media accountability, These were issues that have been covered at various times over the years at different gatherings and conventions.. But this time everyone was there both within and outside of Hip Hop. From pioneers to record executives, from politicians to professors. Everyone was there to peep game. Now the fundamental challenge before us is what we as individuals and as a collective are going do to move Hip Hop and the communities it impacts, to higher levels. In other words what steps will all of us take to live up to the theme of the conference of Taking Responsibility. It's as simple as that.

Before I move on, we should all really reflect upon that point.. Because on one hand it sounds trite, but when we really sit back and evaluate what has been troubling Hip Hop, we all have to look deep within and ask ourselves how can be more responsible for ourselves and for the presentation and dissemination of Hip Hop Culture. How can we be more effective and impactful leaders? This was a challenge Farrakhan issued to us time and time again throughout his speech.. If we feel that Hip Hop is imbalanced, and being maligned and raped by mega-corporations, what will do to remedy the situation? What is our game plan? Will we organize boycotts? Will we start campaigns to bring attention and highlight positivity? Will we start our own media? Will we offer free lectures and seminars to neighborhood youths about the history and importance of Hip Hop culture? Will we write, call and engage offending outlets that continuously disrespect Hip Hop? Will we become more politically active? Will we join viable Hip Hop organizations that work for change like the Universal Zulu Nation, Third Eye Movement, Rocksteady, Lets Get Free, Detroit Hip Hop Coalition, Bay Area Hip Hop Coalition, Black Dot Collective, 2Pac One Nation Committee. etc.. Or will we just go about our day to day activities and try and collect all the cheddar we can? It should be crystal clear that we can no longer sit back and not do anything?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Hambone (Guest)

Re: Some of the Truest Shit U will Read about HipH
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2001, 10:16:35 PM »
Oftentimes we allow ourselves to get overwhelmed by the amount of money and resources that are funneled into projects and material that leave a bad impression of Hip Hop. I know for myself, I sometimes do that.. However, what became plain to me at this summit was the fact that Hip Hop has always managed to shine in spite of such obstacles...This is an aspect we have forgotten and downplayed about ourselves. We've always been creative, innovative and able to make something out of nothing.. So why do we allow ourselves to fall short in this creative process when dealing with the way corporations rape and mis-promote Hip Hop? Minister Farrakhan spent a lot of time reminding us just how great and impactful we can be.. In short if Hip Hop is what we allow it to be.. Like Mos Def said in the beginning of his album. If the people are smoked out, then Hip Hop will be smoked out.. If its headed in a negative direction, then its up to us to to figure out how to shine and bring it back to something more positive?

In other words if there's to much bling bling and materialism within Hip Hop, what are we doing to change this? Some people feel the best way to do it is to stand on a soap box and publicly condemn and criticize artists like Puffy or Juvenile.. And while this may have some merit at certain times, it still doesn't deal with the impact that materialism and bling bling culture has on the community at large. If we are not directly involving ourselves and making our presence felt in the lives of little shorties who look up to us how will change come? Why are we depending upon Lil Bow Wow or Lil Wayne to raise our kids and lead them down the correct path? Who is leading them? Who is sitting down and talking to young cats and helping them put things into proper perspective? Fat Joe mentioned that it was important for him to go back to his neighborhood and let the young cats who look up to him know that what he is doing is for entertainment. And that his material is like writing a movie strip. He felt that it was important for cats who are young and impressionable to see and hear these remarks directly from him and not some surrogate.

It's ironic that I hear cats who back in the early days, begged, borrowed and literally robbed people at gun point for their 300 dollar sheep skin jackets, complaining loudly that today's Hip Hoppers are too materialistic. During the media panel, Source Magazine editor Carlito Rodriguez noted that he runs into his homeboys are upset with the wildness of today's young thugs who can be seen throughout New York sporting red or blue bandanas. They will loudly complain and somehow forget that 10 or 15 years ago they were those same wild kids.. It's like what the Minister said in his speech, the apple don't fall too far from the tree.. If those same sheep skin wearing individuals have not been active in trying to un-plant the negative seeds they sowed, then it would only be a matter of time before they would see the fruits of their negative labor...

Scholar Michael Eric Dyson, alluded to this in his remarks during the Hip Hop political panel. He rhetorically asked the elders in the audience how they can hold the young Hip Hop generation accountable for not being more politically active, when we don't hold other entertainers and R&B artists like Luther Vandross or Anita Baker to similar standards? How can we lambast the Hip Hop generation for not voting when we ourselves turn out less then 30% of our numbers for major elections. People who are young and impressionable will follow what we do and not as we say.. That's a crucial point we often overlook. Responsibility goes both ways. He wisely suggested that we all sit down and bridge the gap between the Civil Rights and Hip Hop generation. He suggested that we honestly look at our strengths, weaknesses and contradictions and try to build upon some common ground.

Hambone (Guest)

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2001, 10:16:59 PM »
One of the most telling moments of the conference occurred as the conference was ending. This young 16 year old dressed in baggy pants, and sporting a thugged out bandanna approached Chuck D and told him he thought much of what was going on was a bunch of BS. He admitted that he did not get a chance to hear everything the Minister had to say, but he did notice that many of the artists in attendance immediately left and did not stick around to participate in the follow up sessions which was designed exclusively for them. He seemed dismayed that many of the big time artists had bounced and were seemingly more interested in getting interviewed by MTV and BET then reflecting and building upon the incredible remarks in the important follow up, closed door artists session. He noted to Chuck that perhaps the Minister had wasted his time talking to Puffy and Ja Rule and he might have had more impact by speaking to the next generation of Ja Rules and Puffys. He explained that many of the kids who he grew up with including himself had been in and out of trouble and have come up not knowing much more then to flip twenties [hustle] or get in the rap game.

Chuck D spent almost an hour talking with the youngster breaking down the importance of those who are a part of Hip Hop needing to break the vicious cycle which often leads to us not being as responsible. He noted that it was important that Puffy and others heard the Minister's remarks and that perhaps an important seed was planted that would help move and inspire them to do better. Homeboy seemed to understand, but was adamant that his young homies who are coming up should've also been invited to be a a part of the summit. He felt they would've gotten a lot more out of it then some of the artists and they too need to be inspired and have some positive seeds planted with them. Homeboy wasn't convinced that some of these artists would seriously change their ways but he would go back and let his buddies know what he had learned.     What was so interesting about this young man approaching Chuck was the fact that Chuck was like the only artist around to talk to him.. Second, that Minister Farrakhan ended his incredible speech by quoting the Bible in which it noted that a young child would lead the way. He noted how young people were watching their every move..and this kid was living proof. Lets hope the Minister's wise remarks did not fall on def ears.

There are no magic bullets to resolving some of Hip Hop's most pressing issues. Russell Simmons, Chuck D or even Minister Farrakhan won't save the day. There are no magic bullets or formulas, but unfortunately many of us have allowed ourselves to buy into the hype of believing in fairy tale endings that come without sacrifice and struggle. Many of us have gotten into the bad habit of believing that change is gonna come from the outside without looking within and being a vital part of the solution. The question and ultimate challenge is will we follow up on our commitments especially after such a large and public display?

Hambone (Guest)

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2001, 10:17:54 PM »
Listed below is a the press release outlining some of the commitments put forth by the participants of the Hip Hop Summit...

JUNE 14, 2001 New York, NY--At the conclusion of the historic Hip Hop Summit 2001, June 12-13, industry hip hop leaders, artists, and civil rights and political organizations reached agreement on a series of initiatives and commitments that will affect the artistic, social and political landscape of American society and the global community.

1. Parental Advisory Labeling. An agreement was reached on creating a voluntary uniform standard for marketing albums with the Parental Advisory Label. These standards have the support of the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).

* Labels are to be plainly displayed in a nonremovable form on the front cover artwork in a standard size.

* All consumer print, television and radio advertising of products with the Parental Advisory Label will contain a depiction of the label or an indication that album or song being marketed carries the Parental Advisory Label. When the album or song is available in "non-Explicit" versions, that will also be indicated.

* Internet sites that promote or sell specific albums or songs that have the Label should display the Label along with the album promotion. This advisory should follow the on-line user all the way through purchase. Websites should also provide a link to "parentalguide.org," an information site about media ratings.

* Samplers and posters are often used in marketing Hip Hop music. It was agreed that all samplers and posters promoting labeled albums or songs would carry the Label or an indication that the album being promoted carries the Parental Advisory Label.

2. Industry Adoption of Hip Hop Mentoring Programs. Def Jam introduced a Hip Hop Mentoring Program emphasizing the need for a stronger focus on artist development. The programmatic mission and goal of the Artists Personal and Career Development Program (APAC-DP) is to provide Hip Hop artists with an all inclusive opportunity to enhance and ensure their personal and professional development while maximizing their career advancement in the entertainment industry. Using Def Jam Hip Hop artist Jinx as an example, key components of APAC-DP include:

*Assignment of a personal and professional mentor for each artist.
*Career development coaching especially designed for each artist.
*Residential and social environment enhancement.
*Artist cultivation.
*Management assistance.
*Private educational tutoring.
*Financial planning.

This mentoring program will serve as a new paradigm for the Hip Hop industry at large; and as a result of the Hip Hop Summit, other labels have joined Def Jam in developing similar programs at their labels.

3. Political Empowerment of the Hip Hop Community. An alliance was formed to help empower and promote the Hip Hop industry with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP ) led by Kweisi Mfume, Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) led by Martin Luther King, Jr. III, Million Family Movement and Nation of Islam led by the Honorable Minister Louis Farrakhan, and Rap the Vote led by Executive Director Mario Velasquez. Some of the initiatives to be carried out include:

*Hip Hop Political Action Committee that will educate and address issues important to the Hip Hop community such as freedom of speech, racial profiling, and other issues; and help elect and raise funds for political candidates.
*Massive Rap the Vote voter registration drive and get out the vote campaign for 2002 and 2004 elections

*The creation of a Hip Hop Think Tanks with the initial Think Tank at Columbia University. Dr. Manning Marable, Dr. Cornel West, Dr. Michael Eric Dyson and other leading intellectuals will work together to establish a forum for Hip Hop artists and executives to engage in an ongoing dialogue with the intellectual community around questions on the impact of Hip Hop culture and music on the global community.

For the record there are already two Hip Hop Think Tanks in existence... One is headed by Yvonne Bynoe in New York called the Urban Think Tank. They put a quarterly publication called Doula. The other Hip Hop Think Tank is called Hip Hop Think Tank is here in the Bay Area and consists of a number of writers and opinion makers including myself, Adissa The Bishop and many others. Hopefully some sort of synergy will be established with the formation of The Columbia University Hip Hop Think Tank..Conversations with Dr Marable have already been held regarding this..

Hambone (Guest)

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2001, 10:25:52 PM »
hip hop is out of control......they artist dont give a damn...all about the money....u really think cash money cares? as long as u have money to pay for their cd that is all they care about....i guess it will never change.....

Tell Me this...if any of you were big time rap stars.....how would u give back?

infinite59

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2001, 09:25:01 AM »
Thanks for the article Hambone.  But I feel like if a rapper just wants to make money, and spend it on hoes and weed, he should not be critisized.  The reason being that it is a job.  And millions of people go to their jobs every day with the intention to make money, and then spend their hard earned cash however they please. Why should it be any different for a rap artist?  Like what 2pac is saying in his poem 'The Rose that Grew from Concrete'.  These rappers came from nothing, surrounded by drugs and violence, and domestic problems, and through it all got themselves a legal job, (recording artist) and became succesful, and all some people can do is critisize them.

And to answer your question.  If I was a rapper and I blew up, I would give atleast 2% of my salary to chartiy, and send it to Muslim families living on just $35 dollars a week in the Middle East.  (Palestine)  There are worse things going on in the world than the state of rap music.  I think all and all hip-hop was and is still the greatest thing ever invented.

Trauma-san

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2001, 11:13:09 AM »
I Don't See A Problem With Peeps That Don't Get Politically Involved, That's Their Life.

But People Like Puff Daddy, Who Showed Up, Gave 2 Interviews With MTV (1 Was About A Speeding Ticket He Got In Florida), And Then Promised To Not Let His Artists Rap About The Ghetto Unless They Lived It (O.K., ? WTF?) Are CLEARLY Just Using The Summitt..

Chuck D ALWAYS Keeps It Real..

Joachim

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2001, 12:36:42 PM »
If i was a rapper and blew up, id put alot of money into stuff for kids in tha area i grew up, id build a mad recording studio right next to Lennox Lewis' boxing gym to make him look poor, and let all tha kids record shit.

Then id fight Tyson and give all tha money to my memorial fund. ;)

Tanjential

• Hip Hop Hippie
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • California Livin' - Murs and Me
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2001, 02:49:04 PM »
the sad thing is that this'll probably have no effect on jackshit.
and also it was hard to follow for me since it hardly had jackshit to do with music.i like that artist development idea i hope it goes thru,imagine if snoop had that shit and realized he had to doggystyle again? or Nas? or Jay-z? or wu-tang? i mean all these fallen artists would improve again and such? that would be so great to me but this shit is all probably an irrelevant,idealistic pointless dream in the end. i know when i start puttin out records if it's independent or big,i'm just gonna do my thang, i will not be materialistic,i'll cuss but not more than i need to (like the d.o.c. on no one can do it beter,mostly clean but havesome "bad" shit and occasioanal profanity),and as for the negativity, i have some negativit but just emotional shit you know? not like "fuck a bitch" and "fuck this Mc" and shit like that unless it's just MC shit and if i get big?i'ma donate money i don't need,well...i just wouldn'y be exstravagant and i'd donate alot of money (if i had a lot of money LOL) peace-Tanjint

Fee Fie Foe Fum; somethin' stank and I want some.

My hip-hop group The West Coast Avengers @

westcoastavengers.com

@tanjintwiggy and @westcoastavengers on Instagram