Author Topic: Top 10 East Coast Rap Albums Of 2007  (Read 503 times)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Top 10 East Coast Rap Albums Of 2007
« on: January 21, 2008, 06:59:13 PM »
1) Ghostface Killah - The Big Dough Rehab ...  Ghostface came with Fishscale the year before which was a refreshing return to real rap.  He dropped More Fish soon after because of the success and is back on it with his fourth Def Jam effort.  Ghost really shows how if you are persistent, people will notice your product.  This album bangs back-to-back with a song for every occasion.. 

2) Keith Murray - Rap-Murr-Phobia... Keith Murray.. Where has he been?  He hasn't dropped an album since 2003, that is a long time for a member of the supergroup Def Squad (Himself, Redman, Erick Sermon).  Rap-Murr-Phobia is almost a reflection of Big Dough Rehab, except with more focus on punchlines and less on storytelling.  Which isn't a bad thing, he has alot to say about the status of Hip-Hop since he's been gone.  I definitely slept on this one.

3) Freeway - Free at Last... I have never been a fan of Freeway, he sounds like he's taking a s*** when he's spitting, but I'm saying..  Free at Last is fuckin dope!  This one took awhile to come out also, and no promotion with it (not one video was put out).  But I'll be damned if Free didn't put his heart into this one.  His beat selection is fantastic too.

4) Fabolous - From Nothin' to Something'... This joint starts out with player anthems, and rotates to street bangers on the back end.  It's typical Fab, which is on point lyrics and an impeccable flow.  Number 4 for sure.

5) Little Brother - Get Back... OMG THEY ARENT FROM NEW YORK!?  This is getting DQ'd then.

6) Cassidy - B.A.R.S...  Coming out of a car accident and fresh out of a 1 year bid.  People wondered "Can Cass still spit?"  Well, yes and no.  He totally changes his style up here and escapes his gun/drug content a bit here.  Don't get me wrong, there is one hellafied gangster joint (Track 3) but alot of these songs are focusing on his belief in God and how it helped him to succeed.  Making the list because of that.

7) Army Of The Pharaohs - Ritual Of Battle...  Supergroup composing of Jedi Mind Tricks, 7L & Esoteric, Apathy, Celph Titled etc.  Not as good as their debut, but with this much talent, it is still better than alot of s*** put out this year.  A new-age Wu-Tang if you ask me.

8) Wu-Tang Clan - 8 Diagrams... Wu-Tang is back, it's decent.  Decent enough!  Number 8.

9) Jay-Z - American Gangster... Almost a return to roots, Jay takes inspiration from the movie of the same name, and it sorta works.  Love him or hate him, he can hold your attention.

10)... Statik Selektah Presents - Spell My Name Right... He is the protege of DJ Premier,  And he doesn't disappoint.  All the tracks are produced by him, utilizing great samples and showing excellent music theory.  He networked out to alot of great emcees for this compilation.  I don't know what else to say, but the tracklist should say it for me:

Spell My Name Right Intro (feat. DJ Premier & Termanology)
Stop, Look, Listen (feat. Styles P, Termanology, Q-Tip)
Express Yourself 08 (feat. Termanology, Talib Kweli, Consequence)
6 In The Morning (feat. Joell Ortiz, Kool G Rap, Sheek Louch)
What Would You Do!? (feat. Freeway & Cassidy)
Make A Movie (Interlude) (feat. DJ Khaled)
Bam Bam (feat. Red Cafe, Termanology, Mims)
G s*** (Showoff Mix) (feat. Uncle Murda, Sev-One, Termanology & Jadakiss)
Back Against The Wall (feat. Cormega & Royce da 5'9")
Hardcore (So You Wanna Be) (feat. Reks & Termanology)
No Mistakes Allowed (feat. Doug E. Fresh, Tony Touch, Scram Jones, DP-One, DJ GI-JOE, DJ Revolution, Esoteric)
Interlude (feat. Clinton Sparks)
Punch Out (feat. Big Shug)
The Good Life (Give It Up) (feat. M.O.P.)
Big Dreamers (feat. Reks)
No Holding Back (feat. AZ & Cormega)
Got Me Goin' (Hip Hop) (feat. Slum Village & Granite State)
Time To Say Goodbye (feat. Evidence & The Alchemist)
It's Over Now (feat. Termanology & A.G.)
Talk To Me (feat. Jon Hope, Reks, Skyzoo)
Did What We Had To Do (feat. KRS-One, Large Professor, L Da Headtoucha)

11)  In place of L.B. since they arent New york.   U choose, Joel Ortiz or NYGz.  Fuck Redmans album, and Prodigy's was good but nothing new.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 02:53:39 PM by The-Leak »

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: THE _OFFICIAL_ TOP 10 EAST COAST ALBUMS OF 2007!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:24:28 AM »
Where's NYG'z - Welcome 2 G-Dom?
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Re: THE _OFFICIAL_ TOP 10 EAST COAST ALBUMS OF 2007!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »
Where's NYG'z - Welcome 2 G-Dom?

Honorable mention, I did like that album alot too.

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: The Top 10 East Coast Rap Albums Of 2007
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:34:09 PM »
Joell Ortiz should be on there

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Top 10 East Coast Rap Albums Of 2007
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 09:50:27 PM »
Cunninglynguists-Dirty Acres.  Way better than Ghostface's album. Also, Statik Selektah better than Big Doe Rehab.
"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

Dr. Octagon

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 10:29:02 PM »

Lucifuge

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 10:36:48 PM »
hav kush

P ROTM
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 08:26:34 AM »
Cunninglynguists-Dirty Acres.  Way better than Ghostface's album. Also, Statik Selektah better than Big Doe Rehab.

he said east coast. they're from Kentucky I think

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2008, 09:09:20 AM »

he said east coast. they're from Kentucky I think

Yeah, Cunninlynguists hails from the dirty south, Georgia and Kentucky to be excact

kemizt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2008, 04:18:22 PM »

CUNNINLINGUISTS IS SOUTH U FOOL.

AnybodyKilla

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2008, 08:16:07 PM »
Im about to download the new Ghostface album, it better be as good as u say it is lol, ill cop it if its really good!!!

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2008, 08:21:51 PM »

Last time I checked, Kentucky is south of Ohio which is East Coast.  Since Hi-Tek is from Cincinnati which is 30 miles north of Kentucky, where does that make him from?  Cunninlynguists are east coast as far as sound. 

"Now you're facing me, I'm your ultimate challenger.  It's the avenger, your fate is on my calendar"-Guru from "So What's Up"

D~Nice

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

Last time I checked, Kentucky is south of Ohio which is East Coast.  Since Hi-Tek is from Cincinnati which is 30 miles north of Kentucky, where does that make him from?  Cunninlynguists are east coast as far as sound. 

Yeah but I don't hear too many peeps in Kentucky spitting dunn language or anything. Nappy Roots is from Kentucky too and they Dirty South to the fullest.

Minkaveli

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2008, 08:32:10 PM »
I would say they sound like a fine mixture.  Cats like Pete Rock, Rakim, Ghost all from NY got that swagger.  Cunninglynguists sounds like a fine mixture.

D~Nice

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2008, 08:34:49 PM »
I would say they sound like a fine mixture.  Cats like Pete Rock, Rakim, Ghost all from NY got that swagger.  Cunninglynguists sounds like a fine mixture.

That they do. Either way Dirty Acres is dope as fuck.