Author Topic: Are Kentucky, Virginia And The Carolina States etc. Southern?  (Read 200 times)

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Are Kentucky, Virginia And The Carolina States etc. Southern?
« on: January 24, 2008, 05:54:35 AM »

As defined by the United States Census Bureau,[3] the Southern region of the United States includes 16 states (with a total 2006 estimated population of 109,083,752, and 36% of all U.S. residents lived in the South, the nation's most populous region) and is split into three smaller units, or divisions:

The South Atlantic States: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Washington, D.C., and Delaware
The East South Central States: Alabama, Kentucky, Mississippi and Tennessee
The West South Central States: Arkansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and Texas
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_United_States

Discuss.

kemizt

PLANT

Re: Are Kentucky, Virginia And The Carolina States etc. Southern?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 06:13:04 AM »
I didnt know they considered Kentucky a southern state.  I can see North and South Caroline being southern states tho.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2008, 07:19:23 AM »
you taking the Cunninlynguists discussion to the G-Spot or is this mere coincidence :D ?

Anyways, I think that the terms to think in are mostly historical ones. In a strict geographical sense New Mexico and Arizona would be "Southern" states just like Louisiana would be "Midwest"...but surely no one's gonna refer to them as that. Basically, in that sense I'd say the southern states are those who seceded from the union: Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Virginia. Kentucky however was a Union State in the Civil War, so while it bordered the South, it's not exactly a Southern State in that cultural sense. Also I think Kentucky was always a politically different issue from the rest and never part of the so-called "Solid South". West Virginia is actually the result of a split due to Civil War, so Virginia was secessionist and West Virginia was not.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2008, 07:21:15 AM by Kill »

JAZ

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 08:03:54 AM »
yes.

everlast1986

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2008, 08:11:50 AM »
I don't know about Deleware, Maryland, and Washington D.C. but i consider the rest southern.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 08:28:13 AM »
I

you taking the Cunninlynguists discussion to the G-Spot or is this mere coincidence :D ?

Anyways, I think that the terms to think in are mostly historical ones. In a strict geographical sense New Mexico and Arizona would be "Southern" states just like Louisiana would be "Midwest"...but surely no one's gonna refer to them as that. Basically, in that sense I'd say the southern states are those who seceded from the union: Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Louisiana, Alabama, Florida and Virginia. Kentucky however was a Union State in the Civil War, so while it bordered the South, it's not exactly a Southern State in that cultural sense. Also I think Kentucky was always a politically different issue from the rest and never part of the so-called "Solid South". West Virginia is actually the result of a split due to Civil War, so Virginia was secessionist and West Virginia was not.

Well, I discussed this with one of my classmates today. She lived one year in Ohio and claimed that Kentucky ain't a part of the Southern region, while she said that Ohio ain't Midwest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwest).

Plus, like I said in that other thread, I am a geography geek :P

I don't know about Deleware, Maryland, and Washington D.C. but i consider the rest southern.

Yeh, that was my thoughs too.

kemizt

Cheese

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
Yo K.Dub are you in love with Alicia?  :P

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2008, 08:44:51 AM »
Yo K.Dub are you in love with Alicia?  :P
Almost ;D

kemizt

The Purple Champ

Michael

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 03:54:35 PM »

its mainly because of the Mason-Dixon Line

Joseph Bonanno

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • My library = triller than yours
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 08:40:19 PM »
all those states are very southern. that is the attitude there

tempo2

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 01:18:36 AM »
that mason dixy line was created by english expolorers back in the day. I cant rmember if it was mason or dixy but they were from a town here in england called bishop auckland which is like 2 miles from where i live. probabley the most famous person from my neck of the woods.