Author Topic: what was the VERY first hip hop cd you EVER OWNED?  (Read 369 times)

NobodyButMe

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • OB - Original Boardster
what was the VERY first hip hop cd you EVER OWNED?
« on: January 27, 2008, 06:03:26 AM »
for me it was DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince "...He's the DJ I'm the Rapper"....i thought it was garbage and listened to it only once or twice after that. my moms bought it for me when I was 8 or 9 years old because she thought it was "Tone Loc - Loc'd After Dark", which she ended up picking up about a week later....she really wanted me to have that Tone Loc cuz she heard 'funky cold medina' at some party and thought it was really funky and something i'd really like...I still have that Tone Loc cd (somewhere) in my collection...but I haven't listened to it in years. i'd consider "Tone Loc - Loc'd after dark" the first hip hop cd I ever owned.

I was surfing the net the other day and stumbled across a download link for Tone Loc....I had to download for nostalgias sake...I was 9 years old when I got my first rap cd...i can't believe i've been listening to rap music for 19 years now. 

I also thought that it was strange that out of the 5 or 6 years i've been on this board, I don't know if I've ever read a thread about Tone Loc....I don't know if any of ya'll have that Tone Loc cd...that sh*t is HOT...if you don't pm me for a link!

***EDIT: This was in 1989!!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 06:35:21 AM by JTPlatnum »

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: what was the VERY first hip hop cd you EVER OWNED?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2008, 06:26:29 AM »
I only started to listen to hip-hop in like 2002 & my favorite rapper at the time was Xzibit (& also Tha Liks). Of course I loved his older stuff but his only CD's at the store were Restless & MVM so I copped those 2.

cantoms

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 06:50:00 AM »
Black Sunday - Cypress Hill: bought back probably in 1994/95.  I wasn't into rap much until about two years ago, so I didn't buy many rap Cd's in the 90's (Chronic 2001, No Way Out, Eminem's first two LP's, N.W.A. Greatest Hits)

BTW, I agree with you on the Tone Loc CD.  I picked that one up this summer.  I first heard Funky Cold Medina and Wild Thing on the Ice-T Presents Westside compilation, which is actually one of my favourite raps Cd's to put on - besides the big tracks by Snoop and Dre and some of his own singles, it has some good old tunes by people like Del, DJ Quik, Funkdoobiest, Kid Frost, Pharsyde, and a bunch of others.

EXPOSEPONCESENT

• 'G'
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 06:53:56 AM »
my first cd I brought was artifacts second albulm from 97, before that I use to buy tapes

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:01:41 AM »
my first tape was run-dmc raising hell in 1987 and my first cd was bone thugs creepin' on a come up - 1995

~Lucien~

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 07:13:38 AM »
my first lp was an Ice-T album around 88-89... first cd eazy-duz-it in the same year I guess

MediumL

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2008, 07:22:24 AM »
If Gorillaz count as hip hop then their first album was what i copped back in 2000 sometime. If that doesnt count then probably Beg For Mercy when i was 14
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Okka

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2008, 07:29:09 AM »
Cypress Hill - Black Sunday

The "Untouchable" DJR

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 07:47:52 AM »
Probably Run DMC's Raising Hell in 1986 (on vinyl).

~Loyalty Is Everything~

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
CD : De La Soul - Art Official Intelligence : Mosaic Thump

Tape : Cypress Hill - Skull & Bones

smegma

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 08:09:58 AM »
I don't even remember! The very first cd I bought was "May The Forze Be With You" by DJ Paul Elstak.

HEC

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
bought the cassete tapes of MC Hammer - Please Hammer Don"t Hurt Em and Vanilla Ice -To The Extreme in 1990 :-[
The first CD I bought was NWA - EFIL4ZAGGIN in 1991 :)
anybody remember when CD's first came out they were in this long carboard box instead of just a jewel case, I used to think there was something else in there too, LOL

Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »
i'm a younger dude. first album i ever copped was the wash sdtk. been history since then 8)
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 09:02:10 AM »
Probably Run DMC's Raising Hell in 1986 (on vinyl).

how old are you?  8)

StevenQBosell

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 09:11:03 AM »
1993 - Snoops Doggystyle