Author Topic: How old are you guys? Do you not remember when Em put out classics?  (Read 571 times)

Doggystylin

All I ever hear on this board about Eminem is about how wack he is and for god sakes when people are putting Busta Rhymes over him I have to take into consideration that I have been on this board for years and there are a lot of newbs on here nowdays that just simply might be too young to have been listening to hip hop back in 99-03, cause I know there are a lot of 14-16 year olds on here. Nothing wrong with that. I was 14 when I started posting on this board. But it just doesn't make sense to me when I hear people talking about Eminem being wack. Maybe you guys just don't remember his work in those days. Infinite, SSLP,2001, MMLP, Devil's Night, Eminem Show, Random guest appearances. Everything he spit in those days was either 5/5 or 4/5 material.

I mean yeah sure he's put out weak shit in the recent years but since when you judge an artist on not even a tenth of his work. the MAJORITY of his work is strong compared to his weak songs that he's released. Yet he still gets shitted on. So many great artists have put out weak material but the weak gets overlooked and they get praised for their good.

VxTheGeneral

• 'G'
  • Picture Of Me, At Night
Re: How old are you guys? Do you not remember when Em put out classics?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »
the eminem show is one of the best albums I ever heard...his verses on devils night and some of his verses on d12 world, as well as some of the verses he spit on encore, were legendary material as well

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:26:06 PM »
I fully endorse this thread. 

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:42:04 PM »
His material from 1999-2002 is classic. After that, his lyrics started to decline in terms of quality, but he is still capable of delivering strong performances, depending on the beat, his vocal delivery and the subject matter itself. His flow has never been an issue, because even on his wackest joints, he still maintains his delivery. He just needs to get back into that '99-2000, 2001 mode, when he was just vicious on the mic.

REGIME MOB 510

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 02:24:20 PM »
Eminem's first album was a classic.  I remember the first time i heard Guilty Conscience and his lyrical ability was shittin on everything

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 02:44:03 PM »
I got into Eminem right away.  I remember hearing "My Name Is" and "Guilty Conscience" on the radio in early '99 and one of my buddies had the "I Just Don't Give A Fuck" b/w "Brain Damage" single...I was hooked.  I feel so old, I was 17 when that came out.

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Eminem has put out classic albums. Id say his first 2 were the best and Devils Night was good too. He fell off hard tho after the eminem show.

The point was that you said that eminems whole catalogue was better then busta's, which i disagreed on because busta hasnt put out a wack album yet.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 03:08:48 PM »
The point was that you said that eminems whole catalogue was better then busta's, which i disagreed on because busta hasnt put out a wack album yet.

Busta Rhymes' catalogue isn't that strong, he's got a few great albums but no classics and he has a couple weak albums.

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:17:30 PM »
LOL talking like when Em came out it was so long ago.

I remember going to a Snoop concert in 93 bumping Eazy E on the way to the concert.

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 03:20:41 PM »

Busta Rhymes' catalogue isn't that strong, he's got a few great albums but no classics and he has a couple weak albums.

which albums were weak?

Genesis is considered a classic to me.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 03:23:38 PM »
E.L.E. & Anarchy ain't that great and I never heard It Ain't Safe No More but that got pretty bad reviews.  Genesis might be one of your favourite albums but it's not a classic.

NotoriousTDA

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 03:29:50 PM »
its all opinions my friend. I loved E.L.E, the title track was fire! Basically eminem fell off and busta hasnt so: Busta > Eminem in the year 2008.

May I add that the recent Dillagence mixtape is prolly the hottest mixtape ive heard in years.  ;D

smegma

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 03:33:28 PM »
The Slim Shady LP = classic
The Marshall Mathers LP = near classic
The Eminem Show = weak, this is where Eminem started to fall off

I don't even wanna talk about the rest.

JMan

• The Young Ghetto Sinatra
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Say No to E-Rape
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 03:33:51 PM »
yeah when emimen first came out i was around 13 and just starting to dabble in to rap.. Rock Bottom from the Slim Shady LP is one of the realest tracks he ever touched on imo...

smegma

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »
Eminem basically started to fall off when he stopped doing drugs.