Author Topic: Dolphin saves two whales' lives.  (Read 337 times)

Trauma-san

Dolphin saves two whales' lives.
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:02:13 AM »
I try to post incredible dolphin stories anytime I see them.  Most people don't realize what incredible animals they are, there have been tons of stories of Dolphins saving people lost at sea, I saw one where a toddler fell off a boat and a dolphin swam under the kid and swam it back to the boat, riding his back.  Just last year, I found a story where a man was being attacked by a shark, and a group of dolphins showed up out of nowhere, beat the shit out of the shark, then swam around the man in circles until other people got there to help get him back to shore.  Incredible animals.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/nz.whales.ap/index.html

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A dolphin swam up to two distressed whales that appeared headed for death in a beach stranding in New Zealand and guided them to safety, witnesses said Wednesday.

The actions of the bottlenose dolphin -- named Moko by residents who said it spends much of its time swimming playfully with humans at the beach -- amazed would-be rescuers and an expert who said they were evidence of the species' friendly nature.

The two pygmy sperm whales, a mother and her calf, were found stranded on Mahia Beach, about 500 kilometers (300 miles) northeast of the capital of Wellington, on Monday morning, said Conservation Department worker Malcolm Smith.

Rescuers worked for more than one hour to get the whales back into the water, only to see them strand themselves four times on a sandbar slightly out to sea. It looked likely the whales would have to be euthanized to prevent them suffering a prolonged death, Smith said.

"They kept getting disorientated and stranding again," said Smith, who was among the rescuers. "They obviously couldn't find their way back past (the sandbar) to the sea."

Along came Moko, who approached the whales and led them 200 meters (yards) along the beach and through a channel out to the open sea. 

"Moko just came flying through the water and pushed in between us and the whales," Juanita Symes, another rescuer, told The Associated Press. "She got them to head toward the hill, where the channel is. It was an amazing experience. The best day of my life."

Anton van Helden, a marine mammals expert at New Zealand's national museum, Te Papa Tongarewa, said the reports of Moko's rescue were "fantastic" but believable because the dolphins have "a great capacity for altruistic activities."

These included evidence of dolphins protecting people lost at sea, and their playfulness with other animals.

"We've seen bottlenose dolphins getting lifted up on the noses of humpback whales and getting flicked out of the water just for fun," van Helden said.

"But it's the first time I've heard of an inter-species refloating technique. I think that's wonderful," said van Helden, who was not involved in the rescue but spoke afterward to Smith.

Smith speculated that Moko responded after hearing the whales' distress calls.

"It was looking like it was going to be a bad outcome for the whales ... then Moko just came along and fixed it," he said. "They had arched their backs and were calling to one another, but as soon as the dolphin turned up they submerged into the water and followed her."

After the rescue, Moko returned to the beach and joined in games with local residents, he said.

Copyright 2008 The Associated Press.

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
Re: Dolphin saves two whales' lives.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 07:39:17 AM »
^^Amazing!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dolphins are pretty smart mammals!!
but i believe that one on one with a Shark the Dolphin has no chance..
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 08:00:00 AM »
^^Amazing!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Dolphins are pretty smart mammals!!
but i believe that one on one with a Shark the Dolphin has no chance..
no one says they do (with a large shark that is, a lot of sharks aren't exactly "Jaws" style), but they are often in packs.

And yes, cetaceans, primates and elephants are the most intelligent species on the planet right after humans as far as I know. Dolphins are the shit

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Oh shitt!!!!!

LMAO, that is what the fuck is up!! That's a crazy story right there.

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 10:50:05 AM »
That's a kickass story; it'd be great to actually experience something like that.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:51:21 AM »
dolphins >>>>>>>>>> all other sea creatures...
dolphins are on a another level supposedly during that tsunami they tried to go warn the people

when it rains it pours

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 11:22:26 AM »
Dolphins are amazing, there's hella old ass legends about them and shit

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 02:30:17 PM »
dolphins are on a another level supposedly during that tsunami they tried to go warn the people
where'd you hear about that? and how did they try?

JAZ

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:34:47 PM »
i remember reading some where pigs are more intelligent than dolphins.

Nat Turner-reincarnated

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 02:39:01 PM »
where'd you hear about that? and how did they try?
damn that was awhile back when eye was watchin the discovery channel............ there are three animals that are very intelligent..... dolphins, elephants, and eye forgot the other one

eye can tell you get swine for breakfast , lunch , dinner

JAZ

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »
eye can tell you get swine for breakfast , lunch , dinner
i actually dont eat pig, danny.

JAZ

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 02:45:55 PM »
oh snap. i did some googlin. and pigs are supposed to be smarter than Dogs. your meat is smarter than your pet. lol.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 02:48:38 PM »
Yea...pigs, monkeys, dolphins, and elephants are all pretty damn smart. Cats are up there as well.

JAZ

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 02:49:34 PM »
Yea...pigs, monkeys, dolphins, and elephants are all pretty damn smart. Cats are up there as well.
i think cats are pretty smart, but most of the time they think: fuck you, go fetch it your self, human.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 02:51:49 PM »
i think cats are pretty smart, but most of the time they think: fuck you, go fetch it your self, human.

That's why they're so smart...I wouldn't fetch for no punk ass human either.