Author Topic: we should stop blaming promotion for Snoops bad sales  (Read 651 times)

Snoopafly-1986

we should stop blaming promotion for Snoops bad sales
« on: March 17, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
respect everybodys opinion but wasn't Snoop all over last week

TRL
BET
Letterman
Conan

just a few that I heard and he would probably be on Leno if he was in town but I guess he spent alot of time in NY to do these shows

kalliweed

Re: we should stop blaming promotion for Snoops bad sales
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 02:30:57 PM »
I think his die hearted fans just gave up on him...who would believe rick ross beatin snoop in album sales wow

LongBeachsFinest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mafia, Get it? Got it? Good!
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:36:22 PM »
promotion is a lil more then just tv appreances.. he had a top 10 hit..which was also focused on a different audience.. the amount of people that i know that didnt know the album name was pathetic.. yet again.. interscope and geffen fail

"i was ultimate warrior to you bully ass niggas, i will come through the hood with the fully ask niggas"

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 02:36:48 PM »
On top of that, he had the top rated reality show on E! Network for the past 3 months leading up to the release of Ego Trippin'.  What more could've he asked for?

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 02:39:33 PM »
he was even on larry king. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

PLANT

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:46:39 PM »
Snoop definatly had tons of promotion for the new album.  Hes the only rapper out to do all those shows plus has his own TV show on.  Its ashame the album isnt selling well, I really thought it would sell more than BCT.  I think all his REAL fans werent buying into the whole "Sexual Seduction" thing and the 80,000 people buying his album right now are prolly mostly newer fans hes made. 

funkkid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:47:20 PM »
it's not the promotion

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
he had a shit load of promo

all over TV past few months, was even on Rollingstone cover no reason a few months back
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Blood$

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:01:39 PM »
Snoop definatly had tons of promotion for the new album.  Hes the only rapper out to do all those shows plus has his own TV show on.  Its ashame the album isnt selling well, I really thought it would sell more than BCT.  I think all his REAL fans werent buying into the whole "Sexual Seduction" thing and the 80,000 people buying his album right now are prolly mostly newer fans hes made. 

yeah I pretty much agree with this

messi19

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:08:21 PM »
Am i the only one who think he'll go back to that gangsta shit now because this obiously not sellin? I mean i always wanna hear music from Snoop but he keeps changin what he wanna do every day. It's not a bad thing if it only comes to the music, but a lot of yall probably noticed how lately he been trying lean more towards the "grown image". You'll probably see him Crippin and walkin on BET Awards soon now to get back to that gangsta shit now that his sales are down.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:24 PM »
What's funny is how Doggystyle is his biggest selling album easily and it's an out and out gangsta rap album... and on the last few albums, by trying to have catchy singles, working with Justin Timberlake, etc he must have thought he'd be appealing to more people and could sell more records, but ironically he sold way more not trying to cater to different audiences on Doggystyle and by just making an album that was bumping from top to bottom

Same with 50 Cent, he had sooooo much visibility during his Curtis promotion, you couldn't have not heard about his and Kanye's album, but he still didn't sell too much. He tried getting with Justin Timberlake, having different types of songs, but didn't sell anywhere near his first album, which again ironically was just some straight hard beats and rhymes (In Da Club was popular in the clubs, but the beat wasn't your typical club beat), and with that first album he wasn't trying to cross over

So what's the answer? Just make something that bumps hard on every track and stop trying to cross over by making 20 different styles of track as if your album is some marketing exercise where you're trying to appeal to target markets x, y, and z and so really you don't please anyone

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 03:30:16 PM »
i think promotion was good but late, i think he should have promoted it earlier to build a buzz before it dropped. the only thing we knew for so long was that it was called ego trippin which isnt a very marketable album name and that he didnt want know features on it...thats nothing to build a buzz off apart from some internet groupies. Then he drops his new single i think which blew up but at the same time people werent buying into that shit whilst diggin it, everyone knows his album aint gon be on a sensual seduction tip,lol...I also feel his last album contributed to the weak first week sales of this album, his last album was on some amatuer shit, i'm sure half the cats who bought that album will not buy this even though this is much better in many ways even if its less gangsta. Snoops next album is his 10th solo so i'm sure he'll be on some gangsta shit on that album, would be great if it was just him and dre hookin back up for his tenth, whatever will happen, it'll be a big thang

The King

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 03:32:04 PM »
What's funny is how Doggystyle is his biggest selling album easily

Well the answer to that is something we all know, it's the internet. Sure the quality of all the albums being released these days is lower, but that doesn't matter. People buy crap all the time.

Why pay for something which may or may not be decent? Hmm 20$ a CD or free? The simple fact is, why would anyone want to buy a CD? Who even listens to CDs? You take that CD home, rip it onto your ipod and play it on your stereo. Whens the last time you took a CD out of it's case and played it? Never.

Downloading is not only free, it's easier. No driving, no lines, no cash, you don't even need to rip the CD, or even have a CD drive.

Music sales are down for one reason. The internet. That's the only reason. And if their was no internet, 50 Cent, Kanye and Justin Timberlake would have sold billions of albums. Crappy music, for crappy people.

I'd never buy a CD. And if a find a decent album, I look far and wide for the Vinyl, which looks better, and may sound better.

20$ for 20 tracks, of which you may like 5 of them. 4$ a song. And for some albums like Curtis, you might not even like any of the songs. So you payed 20$ for nothing.

Artists and Labels need to get with the fucking program and stop selling CD's. No one buys them, and why would they start? The business will never move back. The only logical thing to do is start selling digital albums. Sell the album directly through itunes or myspace. Or even sell in stores a small little "flashdrive" of the albums, like a small little stick with the 20 mp3s on it.

Just think, 10$ for a new snoop album, directly off myspace. No label, all money goes to Snoop. That's where the business should be going. Cheap downloads. Of course people will still rip off the artist off, but at least it'll be cheap enough people will support their favorite artist.

Old English

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 03:32:16 PM »
yeah snoop has been everywhere...his promotion 4 this album was on point

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:43:06 PM »
What's funny is how Doggystyle is his biggest selling album easily

Well the answer to that is something we all know, it's the internet. Sure the quality of all the albums being released these days is lower, but that doesn't matter. People buy crap all the time.

Why pay for something which may or may not be decent? Hmm 20$ a CD or free? The simple fact is, why would anyone want to buy a CD? Who even listens to CDs? You take that CD home, rip it onto your ipod and play it on your stereo. Whens the last time you took a CD out of it's case and played it? Never.

Downloading is not only free, it's easier. No driving, no lines, no cash, you don't even need to rip the CD, or even have a CD drive.

Music sales are down for one reason. The internet. That's the only reason. And if their was no internet, 50 Cent, Kanye and Justin Timberlake would have sold billions of albums. Crappy music, for crappy people.

I'd never buy a CD. And if a find a decent album, I look far and wide for the Vinyl, which looks better, and may sound better.

20$ for 20 tracks, of which you may like 5 of them. 4$ a song. And for some albums like Curtis, you might not even like any of the songs. So you payed 20$ for nothing.

I agree, though with Snoop he went from 6 million to around 1-2 for all his subsequent albums, and the internet thing has only really really started to hurt for the last couple of years. But yeah, even if he did bring out an album as good as Doggystyle, it wouldn't sell nearly as much with today's market with everyone getting everything for free

Artists and Labels need to get with the fucking program and stop selling CD's. No one buys them, and why would they start? The business will never move back.

I'd personally prefer to see it move back - Japan are going to start kicking people off the internet who are downloading ( http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/03/15/japanese-isps-to-ban-file-sharers/ ) which Europe are also going to be doing. If it works it would probably be implemented in the US too

The only logical thing to do is start selling digital albums. Sell the album directly through itunes or myspace. Or even sell in stores a small little "flashdrive" of the albums, like a small little stick with the 20 mp3s on it.

Just think, 10$ for a new snoop album, directly off myspace. No label, all money goes to Snoop. That's where the business should be going. Cheap downloads. Of course people will still rip off the artist off, but at least it'll be cheap enough people will support their favorite artist.

This has a load of problems. First off, if I want to pay money for an album, I'd want a physical copy, not just download the same mp3s that I can download for free anyway. People won't start paying for stuff again just because it's now digital. And they already sell digital albums, you can get stuff on iTunes, it hasn't helped. 'All the money goes to Snoop' isn't realistic either, the label puts up the money for the studio time, the videos, the promotion, the marketing, etc etc etc so they have to get paid