Author Topic: we should stop blaming promotion for Snoops bad sales  (Read 648 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: we should stop blaming promotion for Snoops bad sales
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2008, 05:50:51 PM »
I'd want a physical copy

I hear you their man, that's why Vinyl is such a great alternative. Either way, I doubt the economy is a huge problem. It's just the fact that, too many CD's are released, and 20$ for each is unreasonable.

Well yeah, 20$ is totally unreasonable when you can get it for free - I still think bringing down the price to say $10 wouldn't help - if you can get it for free, you'll still get it for free, there is still no incentive to buy it. Back when the only possible way to get the music was to pay $20 then people would and they did, there were milion+ selling albums for ages

Back in the 90's, their would be like one or two "must have" albums a year. Now it seems like every week a big name artist releases something.

Yeah, I completely agree there is way too much product out there now, and too much low quality product. What I find funny is when artists put out free mixtapes and it's like, yo this is free, it's for the people, and it's like, well everything now is free, so that's not the problem - the problem is I only have so many hours in a day and I haven't listened to the 1000 free mixtapes I already have, plus the 1000 albums that were released this year along with all the classic shit that I still haven't caught up on fully. So that mixtape better be completely off the chain for me to take notice

Whens the last time you actually told people to go buy an album? Chronic 2001? The fact that most albums aren't worth buying is a huge problem. Theirs no doubt in my mind if Michael Jackson, or Dr.Dre or some huge artist released a good album, it would sell 3-4 million. Anticipated albums. The Game, Snoop, Jay-Z, 50 Cent, It's all boring, they release an album every year. They have to over flood the market to make a profit. It's a bad cycle. Can't sell well, so you release more albums, which will sell worse and worse. It's better to release 5 mediocre albums in 5 years and sell 500,000 each, then 1 great album every 5 years and sell a few million.

Co-sign

KC-HOODSTA

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2008, 05:54:04 PM »
i have not seen any commercials

but whats

REALLY sad

is that snoop in his first week sold more than ghostfaces big doe rehab now thast sad cuz big doe rehab is better

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »
crooked is the reason Snoops sales went down!@!!  ;D
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2008, 07:23:13 PM »
I'm still laughing at the notion of "bad promotion." Snoop was live on WWE television tonight promoting the album in person. That alone is millions of viewers.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2008, 07:27:22 PM »
this is what he gets for ego trippin...

going to mtv, trl, conan, letterman, the view, ellen, wwe, etc wont help if you're making music for a crowd that doesn't care about you.

btw, personally i would buy alot more albums if the price did go down - im never gonna waste my money on mp3 downloads, because i want the physical booklet and the physical case for my collection. 10 bucks would be aight... 5 bucks would really get me to the store though  ;D. moot point for snoop, though, because i thought ego trippin was garbage.

here comes another -1 for this post... lol ive lost 15 karma in the past week just cause people on this board cant stand to hear someone badmouth their idol
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 07:40:00 PM by R1ZE »

D~Nice

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2008, 07:31:21 PM »
It's not how you start but how you finish.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2008, 07:39:29 PM »
thats true, but i dont see alot of successful singles left on the album.

people like justin timberlake and fergie spent months in the top 10 because of the amount of material they were able to put out (in addition to the nature of their fanbases). Snoop's second single flopping (its early, but i cant see it doing well) = hell be lucky to get a third, and almost certainly wont get a fourth.

im surprised his reality show didnt do more to boost sales. how are his ratings?

Tha G In Deee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • If it don't make dollaz, it don't make sense.
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2008, 07:42:55 PM »
I'm still laughing at the notion of "bad promotion." Snoop was live on WWE television tonight promoting the album in person. That alone is millions of viewers.
^Right. And every morning before Ego Trippin dropped, I would hear an ad for Snoop's Ego Trippin' on Power 106 to buy it on iTunes or in the store.

But like cats were saying in here, it's because of the internet & high prices for the CDs that drive people away from buying it. If it was only available on iTunes or through MySpace it would give people incentive to buy it rather than bootleg it.

D~Nice

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2008, 07:43:53 PM »
thats true, but i dont see alot of successful singles left on the album.

people like justin timberlake and fergie spent months in the top 10 because of the amount of material they were able to put out (in addition to the nature of their fanbases). Snoop's second single flopping (its early, but i cant see it doing well) = hell be lucky to get a third, and almost certainly wont get a fourth.

im surprised his reality show didnt do more to boost sales. how are his ratings?

That's true also. SD Is Out or Sets Up might work. Pharrell n Snoop is a good combo when it comes to successfull radio singles.

gangstarapfan

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2008, 08:45:08 PM »
SNOOP IS NOT SELLING BECAUSE THE ALBUM IS NOT THAT GOOD SEXUAL ERUPTION IS A BIG HIT BUT I DONT THINK HE HAS ANY MORE SONGS THAT CAN BE BIG SINGLES

Joe-Thee

• 'G'
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
What's funny is how Doggystyle is his biggest selling album easily

Well the answer to that is something we all know, it's the internet. Sure the quality of all the albums being released these days is lower, but that doesn't matter. People buy crap all the time.

Why pay for something which may or may not be decent? Hmm 20$ a CD or free? The simple fact is, why would anyone want to buy a CD? Who even listens to CDs? You take that CD home, rip it onto your ipod and play it on your stereo. Whens the last time you took a CD out of it's case and played it? Never.

Downloading is not only free, it's easier. No driving, no lines, no cash, you don't even need to rip the CD, or even have a CD drive.

Music sales are down for one reason. The internet. That's the only reason. And if their was no internet, 50 Cent, Kanye and Justin Timberlake would have sold billions of albums. Crappy music, for crappy people.

I'd never buy a CD. And if a find a decent album, I look far and wide for the Vinyl, which looks better, and may sound better.

20$ for 20 tracks, of which you may like 5 of them. 4$ a song. And for some albums like Curtis, you might not even like any of the songs. So you payed 20$ for nothing.

Artists and Labels need to get with the fucking program and stop selling CD's. No one buys them, and why would they start? The business will never move back. The only logical thing to do is start selling digital albums. Sell the album directly through itunes or myspace. Or even sell in stores a small little "flashdrive" of the albums, like a small little stick with the 20 mp3s on it.

Just think, 10$ for a new snoop album, directly off myspace. No label, all money goes to Snoop. That's where the business should be going. Cheap downloads. Of course people will still rip off the artist off, but at least it'll be cheap enough people will support their favorite artist.

Yeah really cheap downloads is the only way to go now. And it has to be really cheap, cause U really dont want to pay for something U can get free, but if it really cheap then U´ll buy it to support the artist..It should definately not be a problem to lower the price as well since U leave out all the middle mans ( pressing cds, distribution etc)..

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2008, 02:12:48 AM »
snoop need to choose the right single!!
Snoop had th choose prees play & sd is out! played on radio, video on tv!! both are dope track!!

PLANT

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2008, 03:09:48 AM »
High prices tho?  CD's over the years went from 20-25, to 15, to now 10 bucks.  You gotta be a cheap mutherfucker to say you cant afford to spend 10 bucks and thats the reason you arent buying the cd. 

js83

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2008, 03:17:46 AM »
SNOOP IS NOT SELLING BECAUSE THE ALBUM IS NOT THAT GOOD SEXUAL ERUPTION IS A BIG HIT BUT I DONT THINK HE HAS ANY MORE SONGS THAT CAN BE BIG SINGLES

Ditto....and unless the artist is actually putting the effort to make a good album...I ain't buying that shit period...regardless of what the price is...Snoop needs to stick with what he does best...making that gangsta shit...I dunno why he's trying to cater so many different people all at once...

Although Cube is getting old...at least he's still keepin it real and sticks to what he does best...he ain't forcing himself to making some bullshit r&b pop country shit just to sell records...I'll probably purchase his album for sure...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:20:57 AM by js83 »

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2008, 06:44:25 AM »
They already sell CDs for $10 and if they sold at $5 they'd need to sell 4 times as much to make the same cash as they do at $20, so they'd still have the same problem!