Author Topic: Today: Rock>>>Rap  (Read 459 times)

Doggystylin

Today: Rock>>>Rap
« on: March 19, 2008, 06:06:32 PM »
Haters, Encore had some sick tracks, yeah most of it was garbage but it's still better than the majority of rap now days
Hmmm....I dunno. I'd honestly rather listen to "Crank Dat" by Soulja Boy song before "My 1st Single" and "Big Weenie". God damn, that was a wack album.

ok but those are the worst songs on there, crank dat is soulja boy's single and hit song, standards have obviously dropped.
Good point. I feel like pouring hydrochloric acid into my ear when I listen to Power 106 now.

lmao seriously, new rock >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> new rap

if rap doesn't pick it up soon i think i'm gonna have to say overall rock>>>rap

infact let me make a thread about this

Sikotic™

Re: Today: Rock>>>Rap
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 06:09:05 PM »
I almost listen exclusively to classic rock now. Not every third Zeppelin song has T-Pain fucking it up with his Roger Troutman impersonations.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Doggystylin

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
classic rock is the only station i listen to on the radio in the rare occasions that i do, what is it 95.5 i think.

Sikotic™

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 06:23:06 PM »
I just listen to talk radio. Other than that, I got the iPod set up in the car for music. That's how this nigga rolls.

THA SAUCE HOUSE

Piffery

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:15:37 PM »
"and fuck power 105 they dont play any dipset or cam'ron"
-killa

MoreSwaggerThanMickJagger

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 08:41:20 PM »
HAHAH What a lame.

Rock used to be the best genre of music but it has been complete ass for the last  12, 13 years.

Rock music died when Guns N' Roses left.

Rap isnt as good all around as it used to be but there are still so many dope rappers making new music.

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »
classic rock is the only station i listen to on the radio in the rare occasions that i do, what is it 95.5 i think.

that's KLOS... and they mostly play classic, but once in a while they will stick in some modern. The true classic rock station 93.1 (or 2) turned in to one of those Jack FM stations.

In the morning, I listen to Power because Howard Stern is no longer on Free radio. However, the afternoons and evenings go to 97.1 because Tom Leykis rules....   
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

AlerG

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 09:09:50 PM »
I'm very selective with the hiphop i choose to listen to now. Mainstream rap stations aren't even programmed into my stereo. I mainly listen to rock/classic rock/easy listening/oldies/alternative when i tune into the radio. Rock is better than rap right now without a doubt.

AlerG
MicLordz & Sauce Funky
Our music video which was featured in the motion picture Scary Movie 5 :

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »
both are pretty bad, i dont even like listening to classic rock stations, i love em, but they recycle the same singles over and over. ive been pretty preoccupied with the blues to care much about any new rock but ; John mayer, the black keys, white stripes (new album eh), Babyshambles. And rap wise ive been doin a lot of old school 80s stuff

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
I respect your opinion man, but the way I see it, if you don't think rap today is any good, that's either an oversimplification or you're not looking in the right places.

Doggystylin

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 09:35:29 PM »
I respect your opinion man, but the way I see it, if you don't think rap today is any good, that's either an oversimplification or you're not looking in the right places.

maybe i'm not, enlighten me with rap with quality which is equivalent to rap of the 90s such as constant classics which were coming out like illmatic, doggystyle, ready 2 die, all eyez on me, chronic, dogg food etc etc

fuck it, i don't even expect that, just show me something decent

Dubz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 09:54:52 PM »
Have you ever heard of Termanology? Do you listen to AZ at all? Masta Ace? Talib Kweli? There's a ton of east coast stuff worth listening to out there, if that's what you're interested in get at me and I'll hook you up right.

Down south, there's Z-Ro, Bun B, Scarface, Outkast, Chamillionaire all putting out music that could appeal to just about any rap fan looking for something beyond senseless mumbling about candy paint and crankin it. The list goes on. Like the east, I'll show you some dope southern joints if that's what you're into.

Out west, WC just dropped a vintage CD full of bangers, Ice Cube's still doing his thing, and dudes like Bishop Lamont, G. Malone, Terrace Martin, Crooked I, Roscoe are on the come up and consistently drop music worth checking out. In my opinion, northern Cali is where it's at right now. Ya Boy, San Quinn, The Jacka, A-Wax, shit even Celly Cel's still dropping solid albums (Slaps, Straps and Baseball Bats).

I don't know as much about the midwest, but Lupe Fiasco seems like a dude that some dudes fuck with. What I do know about is Tech N9ne and his whole Strange Music posse are the business. That shit's unreal. Proof used to be dope too, but he's obviously gone.

You listed six albums that came out over the course of several years, and those several years in my opinion were the best years of rap since it was 'created'. However, today, if you looked below the surface and in some cases above (see: Chamillionaire's last album) at what has come out in the past several years, you might be surprised at the quality of a good amount of the music. There were thousands of albums released in the time period that you named for those albums, and at best fifty (which is a stretch) are remembered as dope. A number of those are probably just nostalgic picks, but that's getting philosophical. The point is, a lot of albums were put out back then; a lot of shitty music was put out then. The good music ultimately sifted to the top, and that's all that's really remembered.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
Normally I'd say rap is better than rock, but rap is pure dirt on the radio. The only problem, rock is just straight garbage. So it's garbage vs. dirt, you take your pick.

Side note, classic rock>modern rap... ol' skool rap>classic rock.

Ali Tha Great

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 10:01:24 PM »
Have you ever heard of Termanology? Do you listen to AZ at all? Masta Ace? Talib Kweli? There's a ton of east coast stuff worth listening to out there, if that's what you're interested in get at me and I'll hook you up right.

Down south, there's Z-Ro, Bun B, Scarface, Outkast, Chamillionaire all putting out music that could appeal to just about any rap fan looking for something beyond senseless mumbling about candy paint and crankin it. The list goes on. Like the east, I'll show you some dope southern joints if that's what you're into.

Out west, WC just dropped a vintage CD full of bangers, Ice Cube's still doing his thing, and dudes like Bishop Lamont, G. Malone, Terrace Martin, Crooked I, Roscoe are on the come up and consistently drop music worth checking out. In my opinion, northern Cali is where it's at right now. Ya Boy, San Quinn, The Jacka, A-Wax, shit even Celly Cel's still dropping solid albums (Slaps, Straps and Baseball Bats).

I don't know as much about the midwest, but Lupe Fiasco seems like a dude that some dudes fuck with. What I do know about is Tech N9ne and his whole Strange Music posse are the business. That shit's unreal. Proof used to be dope too, but he's obviously gone.

You listed six albums that came out over the course of several years, and those several years in my opinion were the best years of rap since it was 'created'. However, today, if you looked below the surface and in some cases above (see: Chamillionaire's last album) at what has come out in the past several years, you might be surprised at the quality of a good amount of the music. There were thousands of albums released in the time period that you named for those albums, and at best fifty (which is a stretch) are remembered as dope. A number of those are probably just nostalgic picks, but that's getting philosophical. The point is, a lot of albums were put out back then; a lot of shitty music was put out then. The good music ultimately sifted to the top, and that's all that's really remembered.
i agree wit dis katt...and yeah,chamillionaire's last album(ultimate victory) is hella dope,way better than snoops new album imo... 8) 8) 8)

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »
Very few rap acts catch my attention. Last few albums I checked out and enjoyed were from Cunninlynguists and Lupe Fiasco. They don't follow the same wack ass formula of T-Pain collabos, Scott Storch beats, and Lil Wayne hooks.

THA SAUCE HOUSE