Author Topic: who writes for who??????  (Read 6371 times)

dubscheisty

Re: who writes for who??????
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2008, 01:01:58 AM »
Let em' be you can only write so much shit until you brain fart then poof they need a writer to spray they asshole clean ya dig

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2008, 02:12:35 AM »
I don't think you get much bigger then Dre and Eazy using ghostwriters. Ice Cube pretty much summed up his thoughts on ghostwriters on Spittin Pollaseeds:

Fuck a ghost writer
Sittin in the back, of the studio
Tryin to write a nigga rap
It's the muppet show, most niggas need a&r(a&r)
To tell them how to fuck a hoe
Ice Cube, true mc, write everything I say, even back in the day
Imma spit it, how i feel it, fuck a gimmick
You can keep your catchy lines, imma 'bout to write a rhyme
If you got backpack, tryin act black
Think you know the culture, you'z a fuckin vulture
You never a approached the mic
You dress like a dike, sayin what you don't like
Who deserves five mics, who deserves two
But the nigga wit two still can serve you
This West Coast, flow is different in the East
But in ain't no different in the streets

what are you trying to say with the quote, that you agree with him about ghostwriters, or that you thought it would be interesting to share Cube's thoughts?

Both.

in that case why?

i mean, for me, it doesn't matter; as long as the music is good i have no problem with it.

D-Stress

« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2008, 07:04:16 AM »
real rappers dont need ghosts IMO.
never heard of kevin moore.

D~Nice

« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »
I don't think you get much bigger then Dre and Eazy using ghostwriters. Ice Cube pretty much summed up his thoughts on ghostwriters on Spittin Pollaseeds:

Fuck a ghost writer

what are you trying to say with the quote, that you agree with him about ghostwriters, or that you thought it would be interesting to share Cube's thoughts?

Both.

in that case why?

i mean, for me, it doesn't matter; as long as the music is good i have no problem with it.

I'm old school. I respect the things Eazy and Dre brought to the game. But as far as mcs, they do not score high for me. Especially when mcs play it off like they wrote the whole thing. To think Puff Daddy could not take the time to write a song about his best friend on Missing You and got ghostwriters is weak IMO. Now if you got someone to help you a bit, cool. I get the vibe at times that DOC and Snoop co write alot of material. That I don't have a problem with. But to just recite what someone else wrote, I can't get with that. MCing and ghostwriting don't go hand in hand to me. If it ever came out that KRS or Rakim had a ghostwriter for their favorite songs they would be considered frauds.

HEC

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2008, 08:39:56 AM »

Fuck a ghost writer

Both.

in that case why?

I'm old school. I respect the things Eazy and Dre brought to the game. But as far as mcs, they do not score high for me. Especially when mcs play it off like they wrote the whole thing. To think Puff Daddy could not take the time to write a song about his best friend on Missing You and got ghostwriters is weak IMO. Now if you got someone to help you a bit, cool. I get the vibe at times that DOC and Snoop co write alot of material. That I don't have a problem with. But to just recite what someone else wrote, I can't get with that. MCing and ghostwriting don't go hand in hand to me. If it ever came out that KRS or Rakim had a ghostwriter for their favorite songs they would be considered frauds.

yeah D I'm old school too, thats one problem I have had with Snoop, its not just DOC but its Bad Azz, Technic, Kurupt, E-White, all who have wrote for him and I'm probably missing a few more. Thats why even though I'm a fan I can apprecitate Cube, Kurupt, Ras Kass more as MC's

D~Nice

« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2008, 09:06:04 AM »
Makes me appreciate DOC more as a mc and his song writing ability. I know most give him his just due as a rapper after he put out Heltah Skeltah because of his voice but he is still a big part of alot of hits that have come from the west.

HEC

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2008, 09:16:27 AM »
Makes me appreciate DOC more as a mc and his song writing ability. I know most give him his just due as a rapper after he put out Heltah Skeltah because of his voice but he is still a big part of alot of hits that have come from the west.

real talk about DOC

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2008, 09:22:42 AM »
in that case why?

I'm old school. I respect the things Eazy and Dre brought to the game. But as far as mcs, they do not score high for me.
i see your point, but personally i don't really look at them as MC's, i mainly give them credit for the other things that they've done.

definately agree with you, he deserves more credit for that ( yes he's credited in the booklets but you know what i mean  :laugh: ); he was there to pick up the pieces when Cube left NWA, and helped making hits for death row.
that's why Dre can't/won't put a soloalbum without him.

as far as snoop; i said before that he's so dependant on the D.O.C. and Dre; if he can't stand on his own two feet then he should just retire and start a weed factory or something like that.

Sosna

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2008, 09:22:53 AM »
real rappers dont need ghosts IMO.

HD

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • WCCWF Champion
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2008, 09:28:52 AM »
bad lucc writes for snoop.

D~Nice

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2008, 09:30:41 AM »
in that case why?

I'm old school. I respect the things Eazy and Dre brought to the game. But as far as mcs, they do not score high for me.
i see your point, but personally i don't really look at them as MC's, i mainly give them credit for the other things that they've done.

definately agree with you, he deserves more credit for that ( yes he's credited in the booklets but you know what i mean  :laugh: ); he was there to pick up the pieces when Cube left NWA, and helped making hits for death row.
that's why Dre can't/won't put a soloalbum without him.

as far as snoop; i said before that he's so dependant on the D.O.C. and Dre; if he can't stand on his own two feet then he should just retire and start a weed factory or something like that.

At one time I considered Snoop more of a MC. Now he is more of a entertainer. I think he now has to be in a certain "mode" to make a dope song on his own now. But I feel that way across the board about rappers using ghostwriters. And bragging or leaking that you are a ghostwriter defeats the whole purpose of the word as well. I can understand you want your credit for wirting a song. I would too, but that tells me the artists wants to give the impression they wrote it. At least Snoop says hey me and DOC wrote this or DOC wrote. See in R&B this is not a big deal. Toni Braxton had TONS of hits written by Babyface and LA Reid. Same with Mariah Carey. But a actual MC should not have a ghostwriter IMO. Unless it is co written with the 2.

D~Nice

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »
It also immediately makes me 2nd guess any song that artist does from now on if they really wrote it. Like Still DRE. One of the biggest west coast anthems of all time written by Jay-Z.  ::)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
It also immediately makes me 2nd guess any song that artist does from now on if they really wrote it. Like Still DRE. One of the biggest west coast anthems of all time written by Jay-Z.  ::)
yes it's contradicting, but i don't see the problem; the song is good so that's what matters right? well at least to me it does.

by the way, i don't remember Dre saying that he wrote it all by himself? or did i misunderstood you (in that case, you probably just meant that you thought dre written it, or his usual "partners"?)

D~Nice

« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2008, 09:55:09 AM »
yes it's contradicting, but i don't see the problem; the song is good so that's what matters right? well at least to me it does.

by the way, i don't remember Dre saying that he wrote it all by himself? or did i misunderstood you (in that case, you probably just meant that you thought dre written it, or his usual "partners"?)

Dre never says who writes songs for him. Yeah that Jay wrote that was surprising at first to me. But the more I listen to it I could hear Jay's rhyme patterns all within that song. Yeah if it's good it's good. No doubt. But what makes the song good is more my thing. If for example you like Still DRE for the beat= Dre, for the lyrics= Jay. So lyrics wise that song was cool, and I give Jay Z credit for that, not Dre.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #59 on: March 26, 2008, 09:57:00 AM »

Dre never says who writes songs for him. Yeah that Jay wrote that was surprising at first to me. But the more I listen to it I could hear Jay's rhyme patterns all within that song. Yeah if it's good it's good. No doubt. But what makes the song good is more my thing. If for example you like Still DRE for the beat= Dre, for the lyrics= Jay. So lyrics wise that song was cool, and I give Jay Z credit for that, not Dre.

then again, what was the problem, why were you rolling your eyes?  :-\