Author Topic: who writes for who??????  (Read 6429 times)

Snoopafly-1986

Re: who writes for who??????
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2008, 10:03:39 AM »
Dre having someone else writing a song for his dead brother is weaksauce too :-\

real talk
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:34:39 AM by GottiValentino wants to bang AudreyBitoni »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2008, 10:42:45 AM »
Dre having someone else writing a song for his dead brother is weaksauce too :-\

real talk

i see your point since it's such a personal song for dre, i thought it was kind of disappointing too that he used a ghost writer for a song with such a concept behind it.

but if you look at it differently like i said before, the final result is good, so you could ask yourself, what's more important?
we both know that Dre isn't really a rapper.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2008, 10:51:59 AM »

real talk

i see your point since it's such a personal song for dre, i thought it was kind of disappointing too that he used a ghost writer for a song with such a concept behind it.

but if you look at it differently like i said before, the final result is good, so you could ask yourself, what's more important?

im not a rapper either but if something like that ever happened to me I know I could come up with something

same thing with Diddy with the song about Biggie he could have wrote something for once in his life too

I don't consider them MCs but they are rappers its a difference

D~Nice

« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2008, 11:24:09 AM »
It also immediately makes me 2nd guess any song that artist does from now on if they really wrote it. Like Still DRE. One of the biggest west coast anthems of all time written by Jay-Z.  ::)
yes it's contradicting, but i don't see the problem; the song is good so that's what matters right? well at least to me it does.

by the way, i don't remember Dre saying that he wrote it all by himself? or did i misunderstood you (in that case, you probably just meant that you thought dre written it, or his usual "partners"?)

Dre never says who writes songs for him. Yeah that Jay wrote that was surprising at first to me. But the more I listen to it I could hear Jay's rhyme patterns all within that song. Yeah if it's good it's good. No doubt. But what makes the song good is more my thing. If for example you like Still DRE for the beat= Dre, for the lyrics= Jay. So lyrics wise that song was cool, and I give Jay Z credit for that, not Dre.

then again, what was the problem, why were you rolling your eyes?  :-\

Just something I always found kind of crazy. But it is what it is.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »

real talk

im not a rapper either but if something like that ever happened to me I know I could come up with something

same thing with Diddy with the song about Biggie he could have wrote something for once in his life too

who says that he couldn't come up with anything?

besides,just because he used a ghost writer doesn't mean he did have no control over the lyrics.
i respect that you would do it differently, but you also have to respect that he did it his way; it's his brother after all.
so if this is the way that he's satisfied with, then so be it.
that doesn't mean you don't have the right to criticise it though.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 11:29:43 AM by Dre-Day - Sniper of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

D~Nice

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2008, 01:09:26 PM »
It is the artist's decision at the end of the day. Just like it's my decision if I am paying my hard earned money on a artist's work to look at it a little bit differently if they use ghostwriters. In the end it may not make or break my purchase, but like I said earlier it makes me appreciate the artists that are out there doing it.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »

real talk

who says that he couldn't come up with anything?

besides,just because he used a ghost writer doesn't mean he did have no control over the lyrics.
i respect that you would do it differently, but you also have to respect that he did it his way; it's his brother after all.
so if this is the way that he's satisfied with, then so be it.
that doesn't mean you don't have the right to criticise it though.

I remember there was a big controversy that Dre got Jayz who was an eastcoast dude like Dnice said to write Still DRE and also about the song about his brother some other east coast dude wrote it

not that an eastcoast dude wrote a song about his brother but just that he didnt write it himself

but its all good man everybody has their opinions and its ok to disagree 8)

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2008, 03:06:36 PM »
I agree with Cube, fuck a ghostwriter, like the other dude said, if an artist is just reciting what someone else wrote down on a piece of paper, he has no business being an mc. If snoop feels he can't write anything good anymore, he should retire and let the ghostwriters rap.

Did dre ever write anything?
so do you think artist who had ghostwriters in rap aren't legengs? easy e? roxxanne shante,biz markie,dr dre, yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2008, 03:13:22 PM »
This isn't fair. In some cases a guy might be in the studio with his boy and say "yo if you aint usin that verse let me get that". But when the word gets out all the fans say is 'oh he doesn't write his own shiet'. So lets say Daz wrote 1 song is his entire life for Snoop, Daz could go around sayin 'man Snoop was only hot cuz I was writin for him'.

Kurupt, Goldie Loc, and Game are ghostwriters. No one ghostwrites their shiet.
i get with what you saying right here,cause it's been alot of times,me and my crew (and i'm sure the major artist as well) might come up with some lines that they may not even use or just be like i ain't using it for nothing, and yo equal might have a song it goes well with,so you let him have it,to me i don't really call that ghostwritting,even tho if my boy was to say he spit a hot 16 in the verse i would laugh and be like "you lying,maybe you spit a lukewarm 12 but my 4 made yo shit hot" hahaha. it all depends on who you dealing with tho,cause you see when cats is cool nobody says nothing,but let them have a falling out then they saying they wrote everything hahahha yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2008, 03:21:49 PM »
I don't think you get much bigger then Dre and Eazy using ghostwriters. Ice Cube pretty much summed up his thoughts on ghostwriters on Spittin Pollaseeds:

Fuck a ghost writer
Sittin in the back, of the studio
Tryin to write a nigga rap
It's the muppet show, most niggas need a&r(a&r)
To tell them how to fuck a hoe
Ice Cube, true mc, write everything I say, even back in the day
Imma spit it, how i feel it, fuck a gimmick
You can keep your catchy lines, imma 'bout to write a rhyme
If you got backpack, tryin act black
Think you know the culture, you'z a fuckin vulture
You never a approached the mic
You dress like a dike, sayin what you don't like
Who deserves five mics, who deserves two
But the nigga wit two still can serve you
This West Coast, flow is different in the East
But in ain't no different in the streets

what are you trying to say with the quote, that you agree with him about ghostwriters, or that you thought it would be interesting to share Cube's thoughts?

Both.

in that case why?

i mean, for me, it doesn't matter; as long as the music is good i have no problem with it.

I'm old school. I respect the things Eazy and Dre brought to the game. But as far as mcs, they do not score high for me. Especially when mcs play it off like they wrote the whole thing. To think Puff Daddy could not take the time to write a song about his best friend on Missing You and got ghostwriters is weak IMO. Now if you got someone to help you a bit, cool. I get the vibe at times that DOC and Snoop co write alot of material. That I don't have a problem with. But to just recite what someone else wrote, I can't get with that. MCing and ghostwriting don't go hand in hand to me. If it ever came out that KRS or Rakim had a ghostwriter for their favorite songs they would be considered frauds.
i get what you saying my equal but they are not mc's!! they are entertainers who rap,it's a big difference, plus the song about big that sauce money wrote for puffy,puffy gave him all the things he wanted to express on record,sauce even gave puffy credit for the song too (didn't like wait'n on that royality money tho haha), and of course it would be bigger for krs and rakim to have ghostwriter's because they are the gold standards of lyricist in hip hop, and they claim the mc title to the fullest. that's just my take, i wouldn't put none of the guys who don't write as top mc's anyway yell

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
people who rap other peoples lyrics like Dre, Puffy you cant take em serioulsy when they are rapping sometimes because its not coming from the heart

I respect Kurupt, Crooked I, all these dudes are writing, freestyling it takes talent to do that

Dnice speaking the real on this topic I agree with almost everything he said 8)

HEC

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2008, 04:53:39 PM »
people who rap other peoples lyrics like Dre, Puffy you cant take em serioulsy when they are rapping sometimes because its not coming from the heart

I respect Kurupt, Crooked I, all these dudes are writing, freestyling it takes talent to do that

Dnice speaking the real on this topic I agree with almost everything he said 8)

you have to realize that these artists are producers first who got into rapping later and were probably coaxed into doing so. I'm by no means a fan of Puffy but I respect his buisiness sense and by the new Danity Kane album sales its amazing that he is still producing these hit records at this stage. As far as talent on the mic Kurupt, Crooked these cats starting battlle rapping so thats what they wanted to do since an early age basically rip the mic. I agree it takes a unique talent to freestyle, but it also takes great talent to write a song, some great freestylers cannot write for shit. Kurupt is an example of one who can do both. Cube is a god MC but as far as I know he is not a freestyler but that does not make him any less because he is a great writer. Snoop is also a great freestyler who also is not a great writer of songs so alot of times he needs help or seeks ghostwriters which I have somewhat of a problem with but I think he is probably the only one I can think of that can get away with that simply because he has that charisma on the mic and his flow and the way he delivers his raps are always among the top in the game

D~Nice

« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2008, 05:13:26 PM »
I don't think you get much bigger then Dre and Eazy using ghostwriters. Ice Cube pretty much summed up his thoughts on ghostwriters on Spittin Pollaseeds:

Fuck a ghost writer

what are you trying to say with the quote, that you agree with him about ghostwriters, or that you thought it would be interesting to share Cube's thoughts?

Both.

in that case why?

i mean, for me, it doesn't matter; as long as the music is good i have no problem with it.

I'm old school. I respect the things Eazy and Dre brought to the game. But as far as mcs, they do not score high for me. Especially when mcs play it off like they wrote the whole thing. To think Puff Daddy could not take the time to write a song about his best friend on Missing You and got ghostwriters is weak IMO. Now if you got someone to help you a bit, cool. I get the vibe at times that DOC and Snoop co write alot of material. That I don't have a problem with. But to just recite what someone else wrote, I can't get with that. MCing and ghostwriting don't go hand in hand to me. If it ever came out that KRS or Rakim had a ghostwriter for their favorite songs they would be considered frauds.
i get what you saying my equal but they are not mc's!! they are entertainers who rap,it's a big difference, plus the song about big that sauce money wrote for puffy,puffy gave him all the things he wanted to express on record,sauce even gave puffy credit for the song too (didn't like wait'n on that royality money tho haha), and of course it would be bigger for krs and rakim to have ghostwriter's because they are the gold standards of lyricist in hip hop, and they claim the mc title to the fullest. that's just my take, i wouldn't put none of the guys who don't write as top mc's anyway yell

Agreed. Big ups to everyone who dropped some knowledge in this thread. I definitely would not put the artists I mentioned as top mcs, and it's funny to me because most of the artists I either know use ghostwriters or I even thought were using them I never considered them that high to begin with.

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »

Fuck a ghost writer

Both.

in that case why?

Agreed. Big ups to everyone who dropped some knowledge in this thread. I definitely would not put the artists I mentioned as top mcs, and it's funny to me because most of the artists I either know use ghostwriters or I even thought were using them I never considered them that high to begin with.

props to you D~Nice 8)

I think you are the most knowledgable poster in the whole forum to be honest

D~Nice

« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2008, 05:24:13 PM »

Fuck a ghost writer

Both.

in that case why?

props to you D~Nice 8)

I think you are the most knowledgable poster in the whole forum to be honest

Far from it IMO but thanks for the compliment. Just have grown up listening to alot of hip hop and music in general. The whole ghostwriting thing I just never could get with it, but there are many different ways you get someone to either write a song or a couple bars.