Author Topic: who writes for who??????  (Read 6372 times)

Mygla

Re: who writes for who??????
« Reply #90 on: March 27, 2008, 02:28:51 PM »
It's funny how rap has got a whole other set of rules than the other music genres...

MY FIRST LOVE WAS HIP HOP

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2008, 03:41:42 PM »
It's funny how rap has got a whole other set of rules than the other music genres...

word, in pop, the artist gets served lyrics and production, and thats all fine

HEC

« Reply #92 on: March 27, 2008, 04:59:42 PM »

I agree to a certain extent, alot of these pop and r&b acts Danity Kane a prime example do not write their own songs, but they are large in large a manufactured product put out there to sell records. Then you have people like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey who are unbelievable singers who also do not write their material although I do think Mariah does cowrites most of her stuff. In hiphop, when rap originated it was basically freestyled to a beat that the DJ was playing, which later morphed into actually sitting down and writing lyrics to a beat. Now we have taken it a step further in actually have people recite others lyrics and rap like they are there own, well I consider it somewhat wack like it is being made into a mockery of some sort. That is a problem I have had with Snoop for the longest, the fact that he always seemed to have these cowriter ghostwriters whatever. As far as producers rapping like Dre, Puffy,Timbaland I don't have much of a problem with that because I do not consider these artists MC's. Now whether they should be rapping in the first place is another story for another time.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #93 on: March 27, 2008, 05:17:07 PM »

I agree to a certain extent, alot of these pop and r&b acts Danity Kane a prime example do not write their own songs, but they are large in large a manufactured product put out there to sell records. Then you have people like Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey who are unbelievable singers who also do not write their material although I do think Mariah does cowrites most of her stuff. In hiphop, when rap originated it was basically freestyled to a beat that the DJ was playing, which later morphed into actually sitting down and writing lyrics to a beat. Now we have taken it a step further in actually have people recite others lyrics and rap like they are there own, well I consider it somewhat wack like it is being made into a mockery of some sort. That is a problem I have had with Snoop for the longest, the fact that he always seemed to have these cowriter ghostwriters whatever. As far as producers rapping like Dre, Puffy,Timbaland I don't have much of a problem with that because I do not consider these artists MC's. Now whether they should be rapping in the first place is another story for another time.
snoop is not claiming to be an mc no more, he clearly stated that in fucc'n interviews,he just having fun with "music" now,and danity kane would love to write they own shit,you see more money when you write,the labels rather have they writers do it tho,for obvious reasons, and HIP HOP WAS NEVER NO LABEL CREATED SHIT,until these muthafuccas put the money into it,so of course they gonna wanna control it, but take snoop away from the "business part" and dude would still bust some free's off the top,that's the part you got to understand, his record deal is about "business".

you got to seperate the two. and all rappers from bacc in the day didn't just "freestyle to the dj's beat" cats brought they writtens to spit over them beats as well, ie kool moe dee spit'n writtens in a battle with busy b,and he served him,no d.q. even in those times yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #94 on: March 27, 2008, 05:27:47 PM »
lol at Kurupt, Game and Goldie Loc. Who are those cats that told you that..lmao

i thought it was common knowledge Crooked wrote for Kurupt on a few tracks?
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

HEC

« Reply #95 on: March 27, 2008, 06:23:27 PM »

snoop is not claiming to be an mc no more, he clearly stated that in fucc'n interviews,he just having fun with "music" now,and danity kane would love to write they own shit,you see more money when you write,the labels rather have they writers do it tho,for obvious reasons, and HIP HOP WAS NEVER NO LABEL CREATED SHIT,until these muthafuccas put the money into it,so of course they gonna wanna control it, but take snoop away from the "business part" and dude would still bust some free's off the top,that's the part you got to understand, his record deal is about "business".

you got to seperate the two. and all rappers from bacc in the day didn't just "freestyle to the dj's beat" cats brought they writtens to spit over them beats as well, ie kool moe dee spit'n writtens in a battle with busy b,and he served him,no d.q. even in those times yell

you have a point they did also spit writtens back in the day, but I am pretty sure it was their own lyrics and not ghostwritten. About Snoop this goes back to the Doggfather days not just a recent thing, Im fine with what Snoop is doing now he is not really a MC anymore, back in the day he was though and that Doggfather album he had alot of it written by others but I understand his situation just beating the murder case and he had alot on his mind at the time, Dre leaving, the Pac drama with the east/coast west coast situation. I think Snoop just kinda said fuck it and let others write for him because shit was hectic back then.

EAZY-LI

« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »
dr Dre wrote eazy-said-than-dunn
for eazy-e at-least hes credited for
it anyway hes all so credited for
other n.w.a songs

but guy cant make an album by himself
he always got have hes homie all on the album
whether it be n.w.a the dogg pound or hitman eminem or xzibit
or d.o.c ghost writing
The Boyz N Tha Hood Are Always Hard
But Some Times The Boyz Leave Tha Hood
And Roll With God....

Rest In Peace Eric (Eazy-E) Wright
1964-1995

Chad Vader

« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »
Let´s get some shit straight here
I´m getting tired of this bullshit

Scratch magazine;
"Dre is a performer",says Mahogany.
It´s like a class room in the (booth)". He will have three writers in there.
They´ll bring in somrthing,he´ll recite it,then he´ll say,
"Change this line,change this word,like he´s grading papers"

Read the whole thing here;
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=150824.0

8) ;)

MC Ren Interviews
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=131032.msg1638806#msg1638806

MC Ren - When that nigga left, I knew I had to pick my shit up 'cause Dre wasn't really no rapper.
He wasn't really no hell of a rapper back then and shit. He just would fill in.
But when Cube left he started rapping more, but I always knew I had to pick it up.
I was writing my shit, Eric's shit,

Dre was helping write Eric shit,
'cause when Cube left we still had me, D.O.C. and Dre.

ThaFormula.com - So Dre actually wrote his shit?

MC Ren -

Yeah, he wrote some of his shit.
He write some of his shit and some of his shit he don't write.
You can tell shit he writes.
D.O.C. would write a lot of Dre's shit too.
You could tell when you hear a lot of Dre shit if DOC wrote it.

8) 8) 8) ;)

doesnt ice cube say "Fuck a ghostwriter" in his songs....
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=114409.0
hittman interview from dubcnn

Dubcnn:
I think Ben Baller said you would write for Ice Cube?
Hittman:
That was something that I was considering at that time,but he already had his writer and he was cool with that.
So that was something I ended up passing on.

:P :P ;)

Did Dr. Dre write ANY rhymes for Chronic or Chronic 2001?
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=163302.0

Is it really that hard to check the booklet(s)?  :P
Notice;
That Dre is NOT credited for writting;
-Let Me Ride
-Nuthin´But A G Thang
-Lil´Ghetto Boy
-A Nigga With A Gun
-Stranded On Death Row
-The Roach

That means he wrote parts of the other tracks  ;)

The Chronic(s) credits;

Like Still DRE. One of the biggest west coast anthems of all time written by Jay-Z.

you (and others, like HighEyeCue and Chad) may find this little story about still D.R.E. interesting
(it's from Rollin' with Dre: The Unauthorized Account: An Insider's Tale of the Rise, Fall, and Rebirth of West Coast Hip Hop )
:

yep,nice info.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2008, 06:19:51 PM by Chad Vader Supporter of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

HEC

« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2008, 10:00:29 AM »
^^^^^
props Chad, I'll read this when I get home, looks interesting

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2008, 10:01:57 AM »
thanks for clearing that up Chad, you even brought up some things i forgot about  :laugh:

It is the artist's decision at the end of the day. Just like it's my decision if I am paying my hard earned money on a artist's work to look at it a little bit differently if they use ghostwriters. In the end it may not make or break my purchase, but like I said earlier it makes me appreciate the artists that are out there doing it.

so does this count for Ice Cube too, since you know now that he has used other people to write for him?

Snoopafly-1986

« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2008, 09:24:33 PM »
shit maybe everybody has writers at least at some point :-\

apology to DreDay

props to everybody

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2008, 02:13:42 AM »
shit maybe everybody has writers at least at some point :-\

apology to DreDay

props to everybody

apology accepted  :) i knew why you made the mistake, so i forgive you for that  :)

props for solving this; it takes a lot of courage to take such a step  ;)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 02:18:02 AM by Dre-Day - Officer of the Kill Jimmy Iovine Movement »

HEC

« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2008, 09:51:56 AM »
I never knew that about Cube, its very interesting that he would make a track about ghostwriters but then would have them at the same time. After reading that can't really get on Snoop because he has been very open about having writers. I know Kurupt went he went back to Death Row did have people write for him so basically those are 3 of my top 5 MC's who have had stuff written, now I have to find out about Pac, Nas and Face and I'm good LOL

gangstarapfan

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
dis is sum bullshit Cube write his own lyrics I don't belive this where you get dis info?

gangstarapfan

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2008, 08:21:49 AM »
dis is sum bullshit Cube write his own lyrics I don't belive this where you get dis info?

http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/hittman/

HITTMAN  (July 2006) | Interview By: Lil Jay
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/hittman/
Dubcnn:
I think Ben Baller said you would write for Ice Cube?
Hittman:
That was something that I was considering at that time, but he already had his writer and he was cool with that.
So that was something I ended up passing on.

cheers