Author Topic: Mexico is second-fattest nation after U.S.  (Read 491 times)

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Mexico is second-fattest nation after U.S.
« on: March 25, 2008, 01:17:42 PM »
Where hunger once prevailed, diabetes is leading cause of death

By Franco Ordonez
UNION-TRIBUNE MCT NEWS SERVICE

March 24, 2008

MEXICO CITY – Fueled by the rising popularity of soft drinks and fast food restaurants, Mexico has become the second-fattest nation in the world. Mexican health officials say it could surpass the United States as the most obese country within 10 years if trends continu

More than 71 percent of Mexican women and 66 percent of Mexican men are overweight
, according to the latest national surveys.

Elementary school students in Mexico City lined up outside a small convenience store to buy potato chips.
With diabetes now Mexico's leading cause of death, activists and leaders hope to renew efforts to crack down on fatty-food consumption and encourage citizens to exercise more. But it will be a tough battle, as industry groups are expected to put up a fight.

No one knows better the country's affection for fattening foods than Lidia Garcia Garduno, who's run a fruit stand in central Mexico City for the past 10 years.

“People don't eat right anymore,” said Garcia Garduno, mixing a drink of strawberries and pineapple. “Instead of coming here and purchasing a fruit drink, they prefer to walk across the street and buy fried pork chips. That's why so many Mexicans are obese.”

In 1989, fewer than 10 percent of Mexican adults were overweight. No one in the country even talked about obesity back then, said Barry Popkin, a University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill professor who studies global weight gain. Experts were too concerned with poverty and hunger.

“It certainly snuck up on them,” said Popkin, who's working with the Mexican health ministry to develop strategies to address obesity throughout the country. “Mexico has probably had the most rapid increase of obesity in the last 15 years.”

Mexican Health Secretary Jose Cordova, who launched a new health campaign Feb. 25, agrees: “We have to put the brakes on this obesity problem.”

Some Mexicans say there's less space on an already crowded Mexico City subway because riders are getting larger. At a flea market in the south of the city, vendors hawk clothes brought from the United States made for overweight individuals.

Francisco Princegali knew he was eating too much junk food when he bent down last week and heard a tear.

“I ripped my pants because of the fat,” said Princegali, who's 20, crumbling up a wrapper of sweetened bread he'd purchased from a vendor. “I think I'm addicted to junk food.”

Princegali, sucking in his stomach, said many of his pants were too tight these days. Some people are addicted to alcohol and smoking, he said: “My problem is I love fried chicken – Kentucky Fried Chicken.”

As in the United States, Mexicans are living more sedentary lives. Studies show that they're eating more fat and processed foods and fewer whole grains and vegetables. Foods – healthy and unhealthy – that once were unavailable now can be purchased at modern supermarkets. In some areas of the country, it's easier to get a soft drink than a clean glass of water. The vast majority of Mexico City's public schools, and many private schools, lack drinkable water, Popkin said.

The national study also found that a quarter of Mexican children ages 5 to 11 are too heavy, a 40 percent increase since 2000.

According to the government's National Institute of Public Health, the consumption of soft drinks increased 60 percent in Mexico over the past 14 years.

Last week, children lined up to purchase soft drinks and potato chips outside their school in the center of Mexico City.

Virginia Soriano, 35, said it was difficult teaching her children good eating habits when they were flooded with advertising for fatty foods. Naomi, her daughter, said her favorite things to eat are McDonald's Chicken McNuggets and Coca-Cola. The 6-year-old sometimes pushes away her dinner plate if it has too many vegetables, Soriano said.

“She'll say, “This has no taste,' ” Soriano said. “She wants McDonald's or Kentucky Fried Chicken.”

Legislators have considered putting warning labels on junk food and taxing whole milk to encourage consumption of skim milk. Past efforts have foundered, however, and some lawmakers have reported difficulty fighting powerful industry groups. In 2006, legislators voted down a proposed tax on soft drinks, arguing that it discriminated against the poor. Leaders hope that the growing concern over diabetes will lead to greater public acceptance of such efforts.

PepsiCo joined the education ministry last year in launching a new health program, “Living Healthily,” that encourages more daily exercise and better eating habits. But consumer group El Poder del Consumidor, “Power of the Consumer,” has accused the company of surreptitiously marketing its products to children.

Monica Bauer, a spokeswoman for PepsiCo International, said that the program, which includes a video game that teaches healthy eating habits, didn't include any advertising.

“We understand there is an obesity problem,” she said. “We're trying to be part of the solution.”

The health consequences of obesity include increased rates of diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease. The Mexican Diabetes Federation estimates that 6.5 million to 10 million Mexicans have diabetes.

More than 70,000 Mexicans die each year from diabetes-related conditions, Cordova said. He said that the diabetes burden was draining Mexico's already strained health services and that if trends continued, the country's health care system would be bankrupt within a decade.

“If we don't stop this, we're going to run out of money to treat the sick,” Cordova said.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Mexico is second-fattest nation after U.S.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 02:10:25 PM »
Mexico also has a ton of Millionaires too... that's a surprising fact.

MarkCruz

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 05:34:27 PM »

FUNNELED DRUG MONEY

Sparegeez

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 06:12:23 PM »
Why am I not surprised?

I'm tired of seeing fat Mexican families feeding their fat 5 year olds greesie tacos from the taco truck. It's pretty sad.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 10:22:15 PM »
That's random. ???

Chief

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 03:06:30 AM »
thats because all they eat is tacos pizzas and burgers! seriously

MarkCruz

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 03:13:28 AM »
UNKNOWN FACT = MEXICANS LOVE KFC FRIED CHICKEN.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 03:48:50 PM »
UNKNOWN FACT = MEXICANS LOVE KFC FRIED CHICKEN.

real shit. lol

"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 03:50:43 PM »

I'm tired of seeing fat Mexican families feeding their fat 5 year olds greesie tacos from the taco truck. It's pretty sad.

all races do some stupid shit. But I hate how Mexicans will be havin their 12 year old daughter riding in a stroller with her feet dragging on the ground. Make her ass walk! lol
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
Why am I not surprised?

HOLD THE FUCK UP, ASSHOLE! EXACTLY WHERE DO YOU WANT THE FAT MEXICAN FAMILIES TO GET THEIR GREASY TACOS IF NOT FROM THE TACO TRUCK???

Sikotic™

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »

all races do some stupid shit. But I hate how Mexicans will be havin their 12 year old daughter riding in a stroller with her feet dragging on the ground. Make her ass walk! lol
I get jealous when I see that. As soon as my mom shat me out I was walkin'.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE

BANANAZ

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

LMAO

E-Crazy

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • E-Crazy
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 03:47:38 PM »

LMAO! Thats What I usually Always Have For Lunch, Dominos Pizza, King Taco Or Eastside Deli (No Burgers for me)

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2008, 08:49:56 PM »

LMAO! Thats What I usually Always Have For Lunch, Dominos Pizza, King Taco Or Eastside Deli (No Burgers for me)

you must only be 2/3 Mexican

when it rains it pours

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »
refried beans and bear