Author Topic: Kevin Love declares for the NBA draft...  (Read 1458 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Kevin Love declares for the NBA draft...
« on: April 17, 2008, 05:26:06 PM »
UCLA All-American Love plans to leave early for the NBA

By ANDREW DALTON, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 29 minutes ago
AP - Apr 17, 5:01 pm EDT

LOS ANGELES (AP)—UCLA’s Kevin Love is NBA-bound.

Less than two weeks after leading the Bruins to the Final Four, the All-American freshman announced Thursday that he’ll skip his final three college seasons and enter the NBA draft.

“I feel like I’m in the right spot to take my game to the next level,” Love said Thursday. “Since I was 5 years old this has been a dream of mine.”

Love made his announcement at a news conference while sitting between his father, former NBA player Stan Love, and UCLA coach Ben Howland.

The 6-foot-10 Love said he did not immediately plan to hire an agent, which would temporarily allow to keep playing for UCLA.

“I want to maintain my eligibility in case something happens,” Love said. He later added that it’s “definitely a possibility” that something could prompt him to change his mind.

Love led the Bruins in scoring (17.5 points) and rebounds (10.6) on the way to a 35-win season and a trip to national semifinals, where UCLA lost to Memphis.

Love impressed many with his strength—in practice, he made full-court shots with two-handed chest passes. He was known for his sharp outlet passes, court smarts and leadership qualities.

Scouts have projected Love to be a top-10 pick in the June 26 draft, Howland said.

“We fully expect that he’ll be a very high draft pick,” Howland said. “We’re behind his decision 100 percent.”

Love said he spent the two weeks since the Final Four getting advice from Howland, former UCLA coach John Wooden and teammates in a similar spot.

Last week, Love returned home to Oregon to mull over his choices with his family. The nephew of Beach Boys member Mike Love called his year at UCLA was “the best of my life” both on the court and around campus, but said the NBA was too much to resist.

“If you have a chance, you have to take it,” he said.

Love’s teammate, sophomore guard Russell Westbrook, also said Thursday that he’s headed to the NBA, as had been expected.

“Russell Westbrook has worked very, very hard to put himself in a position where he could be a first-round draft pick,” Howland said. “I haven’t had a player who improved more in one year, ever, than Russell.”

Westbrook said that if it looks as though he’ll go lower than about the 20th pick in the draft, he’ll likely return to school. Players who don’t hire agents can back out of the draft as late as June 16.

Howland said he’s facing more uncertainty than he ever has in an offseason, but called the presence of so many potential NBA players “a good problem to have.” He said he was lucky to get Love for even a season because in previous years he could well have gone straight the NBA.

Darren Collison, the team’s junior point guard, has yet to decide whether he’ll stay or go. The deadline for underclassmen to declare is April 27.

“He’s not in any hurry,” Howland said of Collison.

Love said his performance and his team’s healthy run through the Pac-10 season and the postseason tournaments pushed him toward leaving.

“The second half of the season really decided it for me,” he said.

Love said he will be happy whoever drafts him, but if he had his druthers he’d like to stay home—or one of his homes anyway.

“Obviously, I’d like to go to Portland, it’s my hometown,” he said with a grin. “Or I’d like to stay here in Los Angeles, and have one of these teams take me.”

Love said he had prepared a written statement but instead spoke off the cuff, loudly and with a smile, as he did most of a season when his production and infectious personality made him a local—then a national—celebrity.

He also drew constant comparisons to former UCLA big men Lew Alcindor and Bill Walton. Love said Thursday he plans to use those two, along with UCLA alum Jackie Robinson, as his model for how to stay involved with the school after he leaves.

“I’m looking to leave a legacy at UCLA,” he said.

Love’s father sat looking considerably shaggier than his short-haired, suit-and-tied son.

“I’m trying to get this guy to dress better,” Kevin Love said.

“It’s his coat,” Stan Love replied.

This guy is gunna be good...I have a feeling he's gunna be a steal, considering he's going anywhere from 10-20. Very slept on.

Lunatic

Re: Kevin Love declares for the NBA draft...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 05:44:53 PM »
shocked he can go 10-20, he shouldn't go past 10 ???
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

MoreSwaggerThanMickJagger

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 05:51:18 PM »
cmon Pacers!!!

Styles1

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 06:21:56 PM »
He should play another year... I am not convinced that he's ready for regular NBA play... yet.
SENIOR WRITER FOR WWW.ALLHIPHOP.COM

WWW.TWITTER.COM/TIM_SANCHEZ

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »
i predict......Miami/Memphis

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 08:05:34 PM »
the next big bust

he's listed at 6'10 but i've read articles swearing he's no taller than 6'8
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Sparegeez

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 08:59:14 PM »
He looks so out of shape doesn't he?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 10:43:11 PM »
the next big bust

LOL@bust.. he can do EVERYTHING. Has a high basketball IQ and defined skills to go along with it. He's like a more athletic Kevin McHale. And whoever says he's not tall enough and out of shape is retarded. He's a power forward. He's got a good combination of height and size. It's one of his strengths.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 11:43:09 PM »
he'll definately be a valuable foward in the NBA. he just gots to step his speed up and he'll be fine.

Sparegeez

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 12:22:41 AM »
=

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 12:54:47 AM »
that was one of them simpsons' doughnuts they had at 7-11 huh?

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:13:28 AM »
the next big bust

LOL@bust.. he can do EVERYTHING. Has a high basketball IQ and defined skills to go along with it. He's like a more athletic Kevin McHale. And whoever says he's not tall enough and out of shape is retarded. He's a power forward. He's got a good combination of height and size. It's one of his strengths.

Not only that, he's smart as evidenced by his comment that he would love to play for Portland. Smart guy there. Imagine if our frontcourt rotation consisted of:

Oden/Przybilla/LMA
LMA/Love/Frye/Outlaw
Webster/Outlaw/Jones

fuckin ridiculous. Its a moot point though because were doing whatever it takes to get Rose. ;D

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:15:54 AM »
the next big bust

And Barkley was listed at 6'8" but was probably no bigger than 6'6". That doesnt mean he wasnt effective at pf even though he had an ideal height of a combo guard.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 10:01:43 AM »
the next big bust

Not only that, he's smart as evidenced by his comment that he would love to play for Portland. Smart guy there. Imagine if our frontcourt rotation consisted of:

Oden/Przybilla/LMA
LMA/Love/Frye/Outlaw
Webster/Outlaw/Jones

fuckin ridiculous. Its a moot point though because were doing whatever it takes to get Rose. ;D

LOL@thinking you guys have a shot at Rose...Ya'll better pray for Collison or Westbrook, cuz that's the best you'll be doing if you're lucky (and those players are not bad at all...not by a long shot).

Love's exact comments were that he'd like to play for Portland or the Lakers/Clippers...he's a west coast guy. 8)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 10:04:52 AM »
the next big bust

And Barkley was listed at 6'8" but was probably no bigger than 6'6". That doesnt mean he wasnt effective at pf even though he had an ideal height of a combo guard.

Barkley was 6'3" and was listed at 6'6"...but his listing changed all the time. Throughout his career, I saw him listed anywhere from 6'3"-6'6" (most commonly 6'4"), but never anything over that.