Author Topic: The "NEW WEST?" - Just isn't it.  (Read 664 times)

92 Riots

• Lil Geezy
The "NEW WEST?" - Just isn't it.
« on: April 20, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »
I am a true fan of California rap, especially for L.A. I have been hearing a lot of people talk about the "NEW WEST" as in the new age of West Coast Rappers, but really meaning the L.A. ones.

I have talked to a lot of the newer cats who are coming up, and a lot of them do have their independent deals and everything. That's cool. But, most of them complain about how the fans don't want to hear anything new, and how DJ's will still play all of the 90's artists and nothing new.

I do feel that it is time for new blood on the West. But, The "NEW WEST" just hasn't been cuttin it for me. For one, it's not just about how good you can rap, it's about how good your songs and albums are. Yeah, I've heard all the rappers that people talk about on here, and some of them can rap. The main problem is that everybody wants to say "the South is on top, and we got better rappers than them." Yeah we might, but what kind of music have we put out?

I think a lot of "NEW WEST" rappers are lyrically better than some of our 90's legends. But, they haven't made the product to prove anything. Their songs either sound like C-grade versions of the South's hits, or C-grade versions of what we've been doing since the 90's. It's more to it than just who can rap, or make a decent catchy song.

I havent heard anything from these new cats that made me feel that they had the potential to make a timeless classic album. When my cousins in Brooklyn ask me what we got next that will "bring the West back" I tell them that I don't even care anymore. If you think about it, we've spent 8-10 years asking this question. But we were only on "Top" for 3-5 years max, and even then, the East was right there.

Crooked I shouldnt even count as a New West artist. I think he is the best rapper we have, but he cannot make songs! Sly Boogy made much better songs that Crooked ever has.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
Re: The "NEW WEST?" - Just isn't it.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2008, 12:28:46 PM »
I don't want to respond just yet...but what do you feel about rappers like G. Malone, Murs, Mistah F.A.B., Clyde Carson, Bangloose, Problem, Ya Boy, Bad Lucc, and Jay Rock?

You make sense with what you are sayin, but I think you are judging it too hard. For you to say that you don't feel any of them could make classic or timeless music is unfair. I feel that most artists in the game who have made classic music never made anything that sounded classic before they were really established, or had that push behind them. Listenin to Snoop's old demos, you could see potential...same with Quik and the rest. However, none of these songs really had you like "damn, he could be the next Rakim or DMC" because it didn't have that polish to it.

I do think it's bad timing that in the game now, you have to go with the hottest producer and artist just to make it, unless you just come THAT strong...so I can't knock Glasses at all for makin hits like "Certified" that do sound like South tracks. Even when Game came out, my main argument was that yeah, he might make a few hits and establish his own career...but having 50 Cent on both singles, and with many of his songs sounding like they are from other coasts will not help the West in the long run...and it didn't.

I think L.A.'s overall sound is just dead, and that's for a hundred reasons. I do agree that most of our music sounds like what came from the 90's, or like whatever else is hot on radio in other states.

SO PRUP

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 12:50:22 PM »
I am a true fan of California rap, especially for L.A. I have been hearing a lot of people talk about the "NEW WEST" as in the new age of West Coast Rappers, but really meaning the L.A. ones.

I have talked to a lot of the newer cats who are coming up, and a lot of them do have their independent deals and everything. That's cool. But, most of them complain about how the fans don't want to hear anything new, and how DJ's will still play all of the 90's artists and nothing new.

I do feel that it is time for new blood on the West. But, The "NEW WEST" just hasn't been cuttin it for me. For one, it's not just about how good you can rap, it's about how good your songs and albums are. Yeah, I've heard all the rappers that people talk about on here, and some of them can rap. The main problem is that everybody wants to say "the South is on top, and we got better rappers than them." Yeah we might, but what kind of music have we put out?

I think a lot of "NEW WEST" rappers are lyrically better than some of our 90's legends. But, they haven't made the product to prove anything. Their songs either sound like C-grade versions of the South's hits, or C-grade versions of what we've been doing since the 90's. It's more to it than just who can rap, or make a decent catchy song.

I havent heard anything from these new cats that made me feel that they had the potential to make a timeless classic album. When my cousins in Brooklyn ask me what we got next that will "bring the West back" I tell them that I don't even care anymore. If you think about it, we've spent 8-10 years asking this question. But we were only on "Top" for 3-5 years max, and even then, the East was right there.

Crooked I shouldnt even count as a New West artist. I think he is the best rapper we have, but he cannot make songs! Sly Boogy made much better songs that Crooked ever has.

I agree with you 100%, they're is some sick artist that are part of the new west.  But for the most part I just feel like niggas don't no what the hell they're doing out here when it comes to promoting and making shit happen, that and the music isn't anything that really blows anybody away. 

92 Riots

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 01:31:05 PM »
To R-Tistic:

Didn't you produce for The Pentagon?

Glasses: Can make solid songs. He is one of the only ones that could make a good album, but I don't think things are going in the best direction. For him to be seen as the biggest new artist this decade aside from Game, he is nowhere close to being that at this point. Reality check, new artists only sell if there is a lot of hype behind them, even if they have a major single. This decade, the only new artists to sell a lot of albums were Game, Kanye, T.I., and Jeezy. We've heard 100 major hit singles, and Glasses doesn't even have that. His buzz isn't strong enough nationwide for him to be a major factor in the industry right now.

Murs: If he can get the right push, he will be our answer to Lupe Fiasco and maybe even Kanye. I just hate his dreadlocks. But he can spit, make songs, and has that kind of appeal that could get a few thugs and a lot of non blacks on his side. It seems like he is trying to appeal to the west coast gangstas and the club heads as of late. That might gain a few fans, but it could make him lose a lot too.

Mistah F.A.B.: He's not from L.A. But he is the West Coast version of Ludacris. He can freestyle great, and make dope catchy meaningless babble songs. I would pick him to be the 2nd next West Artist.

Clyde Carson: Has what could make people outside of California like him just as much as we do. He has a very laid back style that goes nice with those slow riding hard beats. He could make a good album, and his work with the Team could have made him major if it was known about.

Bangloose: I like how he does club tracks that don't sound too forced. I don't think he's a great rapper, and his flow and delivery needs some work. He doesn't try to sound too gangsta, that is good.

Problem: Decent. He hasn't don't anything to blow me away. He can hold his own over a good beat, and won't get shitted on. But he depends on a good producer to make good songs.

Ya Boy: I hate his name. If he made singles for the radio, I think he would sound too forced. I can already see his first single - "Bottles at the club" and the hook would say "I got the models, we stay poppin bottles" and the whole song would be about taking girls home from the club after buying bottles, and how he'll take your girl. It would be formulaic, just like when rappers like Mobb Deep make club songs.

Bad Lucc: I like his delivery and his energy, but he sounds like he'll always be best as a guest rapper or something like a battle rapper. His best bet is to link up with somebody major from being on tour with Snoop, and then leaving Snoop so that he doesn't get shelved or have to depend on Westurn Union coming out, because Snoop hasn't put out anything successful outside of his own albums since Tha Eastsidaz. That was a different era.

Jay Rock: He can make what L.A. likes. But I don't think he has anything that will make him major.

Like I said, we have talented rappers. But it is nothing near what we had in the 90's, when we had talent, style, culture, and our own sound of music that the world loved. We changed how music sounded. Having good/decent rappers will not do anything but have a few random faces mixed in the already overcrowded rap game.

lost_assassin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2008, 04:54:51 PM »
nobody realli blown up after the 90's realli exept game , and goin major main stream means doin catchy love songs n all that, west side doesnt want to leave its gangsta roots music behind , 2afraid fans mite say ''oh this guy sold out'' on this guy did a song wit  r kelly''...........but that is what it takes ....
Cowards Only Wanna Act Hard When Its Convenient-Planet Asia(9mm)

spliff239

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 10:03:27 PM »
I think the west is doing a lot better than most people think. Seems like most of the time people gauge success on dropping on a national level, but realistically there are a lot of dudes on the west doing it big independently. Could just be that I dont really pay attention to the mixtape scene of the east/south, but where else are you going to find so many rappers moving the kind of units that get moved in cali? The state is so damn big that somebody could go triple platinium in cali alone if everybody decided to buy a cd. Yall are right when you say the west is struggling in terms of doing things on a national scale but the things that ARE getting done out here are under emphasized.

MRKLEAN

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:01 PM »
I THINK THE WEST IS TRYN TO MANY DIFFERENT THINGS, N DONT KNOW WHAT WAY 2 GO.  YEAH OF COURSE THEY GOTTA DO SOMETHIN DIFFERENT. BUT THEY ALSO GOTTA REMEMBER WUT IT WUZ THAT THE WEST WUZ KNOWN 4.  ALL THAT G FUNK/ STREET GANGSTA SHIT DEATH ROW, RUTHLESS, ETC.. PUT OUT IS WHAT PEOPLE WORLDWIDE LOVED.  THA WHOLE SMOOTH WESTCOAST SOUND WITH A DOPE MC ON IT, N A SMOOTH HOOK IZ WUT WE ALL LOVED TO BUMP.  LOT OF MOTHAFUKERZ SEEM TO THINK AW THATS THA OLD SHIT WE GOTTA COME WITH SOMETHING TOTALLY DIFFERENT N OBVIOUSLY IT AINT WORKING.  Y NOT KEEP THA SAME FORMAT OF OLD N UPGRADE IT TO NEW, I GUESS THEY HAVENT FIGURED THAT OUT YET.  A LOT OF THESE NEW CATS R TIGHT BUT IT SEEMS THAT A LOT OF THE SOUND THEY COMIN WITH SOUNDS DIRTY SOUTH OR EASTCOAST.  Y NOT DO WHAT WE THE WESTCOAST WERE KNOWN 4 DOING, KEEPIN IT GANGSTA!!!  N THAT DONT MEAN GANG BANGN N PULLN DRIVE BY'S I MEAN COMIN WITH THAT RAW SMOOTH SHIT THATS STRAIGHT GANGSTA!!!  I THINK TO MANY DUDES THINK G FUNK AINT IN NO MORE, WELL FUK THAT!!!!!  I THINK IF MORE RAPPERS HERE ON THA WEST WOULD DO IT MORE IN THERE MUSIC THEY WOULD GET A LOT MORE LOVE 4M PEOPLE HERE IN THE COAST.  BUT IT LOOKS LIKE THEY TO WORRIED ABOUT PLEASING OTHER CROWDS 1ST, THEN PLEASING THE ONES HERE 4M HOME!!!!

XL Middleton

• Crown City Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 07:30:09 PM »

im glad that you're concerned with the idea of making a "timeless classic album"... something that doesn't seem to be on many artist's agendas lately, no matter what coast you're talking about. but, i don't think the west (nor any other region as far as hip hop music is concerned) is doing anything amazing musically, as a whole, and that's just the bottom line. we can't expect to "come back" if we don't have good music. call me a "self-hating west coaster" or whatever you will, but i wouldn't blame any outside factors before we blame ourselves, the quality is just not there, nor is the business acumen which is probably why we don't have our own Soulja Boy-type phenomenon (just as an example). its not a "conspiracy" against the west as a region, if a record label felt like a west coast artist could generate revenue for them, they would sign them (Game and Snoop are prime examples of this)... the industry is in a bad state as whole, i really dont think club tracks and viable radio singles are the answer, because you still dont have artists running around with fat checks in their pockets even when they do manage to hit radio or whatever....where is the longevity? when will we drop an album that will be remembered like The Chronic or Illmatic...AND NO IM NOT SAYING BRING THAT OLD SOUND BACK, I'M SAYING TO CREATE NEW MUSIC THAT WILL BE REMEMBERED YEARS DOWN THE LINE, POINT BLANK.
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
YOUTUBE.COM/XLMIDDLETONMUSIC
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON

Mackin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Can I Live Simply,So That Others can Simply Live..
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2008, 07:35:20 PM »
That's True XL!

But where does one Go musically to create a classic, or something akin to one, that will be regarded as a true contender??
It ain't happenin, Bibles I'm still packin them
And jackin demons wit them 44 magnums" T-Bone

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2008, 08:34:02 PM »
Cats just needa drop their albums instead of wating for that one super singel, fuck Crookeds been waiting how long till one of his singles catches on? Just drop the album and work it steadily, too much emphasis on first week sales and not enough on albums or artistic growth. Malone, Jay Rock, Game, Ice Cube and Crooked all drop this year the West will be in a good place commercialy, and if Dre and Bishop can actually come out, it would be a good year...

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 08:44:41 PM »
first thing that caught me was sly boogy makin better songs that crooked
both of them havent released an official album but
IMO crooked's songs >>>>sly's songs any given day of the week or year for that matter IMO!
I think the reason he considers himself new west, is cuz he fucks wit the new west more than the old west and hes in that mix more than bein down wit the OG'z, cuz he is 1.

as far as the new west artists
i think we got some heat that can make it cracc for us
bad lucc, ya boy, bishop, omar cruz, and more are reppin the coast real big and in their own way.
then you got say jay rock, hot dollar, bangloose, and others who are maybe a level below the 4 up top mentioned but they bring heat also.  but as far as bringin the same rap out from the coast, yeah some are rappin bout the same shit but its how you do it.
crooked can rap about the same shit with 12 different beats and it will be dope as fuck, why?
cuz hes the truth and spits that vicious raw disease type muzik
not many can do that!

damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

E-Class

• 'G'
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 03:30:22 PM »
pacific division is the hottest thing going on the west coast.
the problem is this. the west coast focuses too much on making west coast music. nobody just makes good hip-hop music.
fuck the west coast honestly, they've misrepresented me for years. i ain't a gangbanger and our music has made us look unintelligent
and savage.
and new west is one of the most shallow and meaningless terms i've heard in a while. ain't nuthin new about it.

oh yeah,

tookie wasn't shit either, niggas need to stop acting like he ended world hunger

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 10:56:47 AM »
bush could end world hungre, but did he?
he had more resources than tookie, so what happened?
why so much hate on tookie

pacific division is the hottest thing going on the west coast.
the problem is this. the west coast focuses too much on making west coast music. nobody just makes good hip-hop music.
fuck the west coast honestly, they've misrepresented me for years. i ain't a gangbanger and our music has made us look unintelligent
and savage.
and new west is one of the most shallow and meaningless terms i've heard in a while. ain't nuthin new about it.

oh yeah,

tookie wasn't shit either, niggas need to stop acting like he ended world hunger
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 11:48:40 AM by enyce »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

HimselfTheMajestic

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 11:47:35 AM »
I gotta say i agree with a lot of the shit dudes is saying in this thread.

Im feeling most of the "new west" rapper's flows but im not feeling alot of their songs.
Ya boy, Crooked-I, they're beasts. Monstrous flow, but these dudes gotta work on their
song writing ability a little more if they wanna be commercially successful.

if it was up to me, i wouldnt give a fuck. have these dudes drop albums with nothing
but "freestyle" structure to their verses and no hooks. but thats because im a fan of hardcore
hip hop. but now is a different era. You cant get away with shit like that anymore, not with
this new generation of fans. they want hooks and songs with the same bar structure(16-32 bar verse, 8 bar hook, etc)

I think theres alot of good song writers on the west too though. Bishop and the Game being the main ones, followed by
glasses malone and mistah f.a.b.
see the thing with f.a.b. is hes sick on so many levels. good freestyle flow, he can make fun nonsensical club/party songs,
then he can come at you and rap on a serious level and actually write a really deep and heartfelt song.

and jay rock, man, jay rock would be huge if he just worked on his song writing  a little bit more. and kept
his flow laid back, he almost remind me of a west coast version of shyne.

murs could be huge with the right push, he's a really good story teller and song writer,
and the way things are looking for the next direction of hip hop in the mainstream i think he has the makings of being huge.

the thing with west coast rap is that we kinda dug ourselves into a niche that we cant get out of now.
every body got this perception of what west coast music is supposed to sound like and be about,
and its not exclusive anymore. like dukes over in new york bang, people bang everywhere, gang banging got
commercialized and the west played that out. west coast producers got stuck on the same shit,
i swear i've probably heard that funky worm sample over 100,000 times in my whole life.
and lyrically, yeah west was always sick lyrically but the west got too into rapping about shit only
dudes in cali could relate to. nobody is making universally themed music. Like its cool to represent where
were from, but understand not alot of people by into that shit anymore.

and i gotta say, people just arent coming with the right creativity anymore. it doesnt have that feel anymore.
like the first time you heard nothin but a g thang, shit i still remember that. even to this day, bumping that
shit in your ride feels pimp as fuck. the only dude thats really giving me that feeling is bishop lamont.

HimselfTheMajestic

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 11:51:31 AM »
also gotta say sly boogie is on top of his shit. people gotta give that dude more love.
he got a dope underground hip hop style flow and actually knows how to write good songs.

and i gotta say, just cuz you dont sell a million off the bat doesnt mean your a failure or a flop.
dudes got that record industry bullshit stuck in their shit to much.

these dudes should just drop albums and go promote full time, go tour,
get on the radio stations, internet, whatever.

its like artists dont have any hustle anymore. just cuz they drop a couple mixtapes
on the net or a youtube video they think they're gonna generate a buzz.