Author Topic: Common - "Electric Circus"  (Read 1283 times)

teecee

Re: "Eclectic Circus" - Common
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2002, 10:53:33 AM »
NO ID is NOT working with Jay Z, but HE IS producing DMX's first single for X's new album.........

As for Common, that new song with the Neptunes scares the hell out of me and i will never listen to it again for fear it will make me hate COmmon and not buy the album..........
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

Zero4eva

Re: "Eclectic Circus" - Common
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2002, 11:09:35 AM »
yep. he's producin X's first single. yet, he was supposed to be on jay-z's album
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 04:00:00 PM by 1034398800 »

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re:"Eclectic Circus" - Common
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2002, 12:36:48 PM »
album iz now coming this december and he's currently shooting the video for the first single "Come CLose to me" featuring the Queen Of Hiphop Soul Mary J Blige
« Last Edit: October 25, 2002, 05:46:51 PM by Bigg Boss Chillah »

• The Soul Brotha
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re:Common - "Eclectic Circus"
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2002, 05:47:29 PM »
im afraid of the cover   ??? ???

Murrow

Re:Common - "Eclectic Circus"
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2002, 06:58:12 PM »
THAT COVER IS SICK!  Some Charlie & The Choclate Factory shit meets Hellraiser.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re:Common - "Electric Circus"
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2002, 08:28:33 AM »
-- Common's Electric Circus, due out on December 10 on MCA Records, boasts an all-star lineup of collaborators including Prince, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, ?uestlove from the Roots, and Sonny from P.O.D., among others.

The Neptunes and the Soulquarians (Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson, James Poyser, Pino Pallidino, and Jay Dee) handle the album's production.

Blige appears on the album's first single, "Come Close," produced by the Neptunes.

While Common's gold 2000 album Like Water For Chocolate explored more soulful, funk terrain, Electric Circus melds the Chicago bred rapper's rock and jazz influences. "I feel it's a fusion of new music," Common told LAUNCH about the album. "We try to create something new within hip-hop, and it became a fusion of all the influences that we have in our music, whether it be a Pink Floyd or Jimi Hendrix or the Beatles, whoever it may be. As I opened up to new music I was able to implement that into my music, and interpret it in my own way. So, it's definitely for me a blend of that. And Miles Davis's On The Corner. It's kinda a fusion of a lot of that."

The album's sequencing has not been finalized; however, the following songs are slated to appear on the record: "I Am Music," featuring Jill Scott; "I Got Da Right Ta," featuring Pharrell; "Come Close," featuring Mary J. Blige; "Ferris Wheel," featuring Vinia Mojica and Marie Daulne of Zap Mama; "Soul Power"; "Aquarius," featuring Erykah Badu and Bilal; "Heaven Somewhere," featuring Omar Lye-Fook, Cee-Lo, Bilal, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu, Lonnie "Pops" Lynn; "Jimi Was A Rock Star," featuring Erykah Badu; "Between Me, You & Liberation," featuring Cee-Lo; "Electric Wire Hustle Flower," featuring Sunny from P.O.D.; "New Wave," featuring Laetitia Sadier; "Star *69 (PS With Love)," featuring Bilal and Prince on guitar; "The Hustle," featuring Omar Lye-Fook and Dart Chillz.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2002, 07:48:38 AM »

• The Soul Brotha
  • Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2002, 04:00:26 PM »
01.FERRIS WHEEL (Vinia Mojica and Marie Daulne)
02.SOUL POWER
03.AQUARIUS (Erykah Badu and Bilal)
04.ELECTRIC, WIRE, HUSTLE, FLOWER (Sunny from P.O.D)
05.THE HUSTLE (Omar Lye-Fook and Dart Chillz)
06.COME CLOSE (Mary J. Blige)
07.NEW WAVE (Laetitia Sadier)
08.STAR *69 (PS WITH LOVE) (featuring Bilal and Prince on guitar)
09.I GOT A RIGHT TO (Pharrell)
10.BETWEEN ME, YOU & LIBERATION (Cee-Lo)
11.I AM MUSIC (Jill Scott)
12.JIMI WAS A ROCK STAR (Erykah Badu)
13.HEAVEN SOMEWHERE (Omar Lye-Fook, Cee-Lo, Bilal, Jill Scott, Mary J. Blige, Erykah Badu, Lonnie "Pops" Lynn)

Myrealname

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2002, 11:44:52 PM »
Family Stand, Electric Circus finds him stretching the limits of hip-hop by reflecting his newfound appreciation of rock artists such as Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, Traffic, Van Morrison and John Lennon. Take, for instance, the aptly titled cut "New Wave," which features vocalist Laetitia Sadier from Stereolab. Undulating between hard and soft textures, it's a deliciously inventive track that helps Common succeed at fulfilling the ambitious mission he set out to achieve with Electric Circus-"to create something beyond what we thought hip-hop could be so that we can understand that hip-hop can be whatever we create."

Amid the album's most musically adventurous songs, "Jimi Was a Rock Star" stands out above all. It's a psychedelic and magnificently strange duet with Erykah Badu in homage of its namesake wherein Common sings (for the first time, ever!) rather than raps. "That song is an experience and an experiment for me," he says. "Sometimes, I can't even believe it's on my album because it's strange for me to hear myself singing-with somebody who can really sing!"

The tone and lyrics on Electric Circus are equally informed by Common's broadened state of mind. Produced by the Neptunes and featuring Mary J. Blige, "Come Close" is a tender love song that was inspired by Erykah Badu. Also produced by the Neptunes, "I Got A Right To" is a rugged proclamation of self-determination and individuality in which Common declares, "I ain't switch over, I just made my own lane." "Star 69" is an erotic ode to phone sex that was produced by the Soulquarians and features none other than Prince on keys. And buttressed by Cee-Lo's sanctified, soulful vocal stylings, "Between Me, You and Liberation" is a sobering song about people finding freedom in different things, including self-love, death and homosexuality.

ěI'm at a new place in my life so I felt a certain amount of freedom, peace and enjoyment while I was making this album," Common explains. "When we first started recording, Ahmir asked me, 'You wanna go out of space or underwater?' I said, 'Both!' I ain't tryin' to do what people expect, I ain't shuttin' shit down 'cause it's white and I ain't gon' disrespect nobody 'cause they homosexual. I can't even work like that no more. I just wanna go where I wanna go. I've traveled around the world, experienced love, hurt and joy, and I've been introduced to so much new music, so it was fun for me to interpret and express all that on my album. More than anything else, Electric Circus is an expression of my freedom, and it's probably more [reflective of] who I am than any of my previous albums."