Author Topic: Who likes british hip hop?  (Read 327 times)

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
Re: Who likes british hip hop?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
Ahh true. I remember that lol, i won't lie, The Avenue album was something i really couldn't be bothered to listen to. It was too 'aimed for mainstream' if you might know what i mean? The only real Grimey tunes that stood out to me were:

When I'm 'ere

Poltergeist Remix.

But at least people started to recongise who Roll Deep were. Lol they must have been bubblin' when they saw their tune being played on MTV and not on a smaller channel like Channel U.

yeah. you cant blame them they have put in work over the years, but i cant see grime or british hip hop ever been successful in the uk unless its a watered down version.

Real truthful words right there lol. Even among MTV Base today i might on a seriously rare occasion catch a glimpse of a video in the Grime scene (Doin it again by Skepta, Serious by JME). US Hip Hop is here to keep the crown of Urban music.

By the way...What the fuck is with this 'Indie' music category i keep hearing about? >_> I've never really taken any notice into it. Can you explain it?
Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2008, 03:57:42 PM »
Ahh true. I remember that lol, i won't lie, The Avenue album was something i really couldn't be bothered to listen to. It was too 'aimed for mainstream' if you might know what i mean? The only real Grimey tunes that stood out to me were:

When I'm 'ere

Poltergeist Remix.

But at least people started to recongise who Roll Deep were. Lol they must have been bubblin' when they saw their tune being played on MTV and not on a smaller channel like Channel U.

yeah. you cant blame them they have put in work over the years, but i cant see grime or british hip hop ever been successful in the uk unless its a watered down version.

Real truthful words right there lol. Even among MTV Base today i might on a seriously rare occasion catch a glimpse of a video in the Grime scene (Doin it again by Skepta, Serious by JME). US Hip Hop is here to keep the crown of Urban music.

By the way...What the fuck is with this 'Indie' music category i keep hearing about? >_> I've never really taken any notice into it. Can you explain it?

the only indie i know of, is the 90's indie. like blur and oasis lol . im guessing you dont mean that ?

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Bedford Iz Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • O.Gz Movements.
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2008, 04:02:42 PM »

When I'm 'ere

Poltergeist Remix.

the only indie i know of, is the 90's indie. like blur and oasis lol . im guessing you dont mean that ?

Na, todays generation i presume. I forgot about those two groups, now that i think on it i never really placed them in any category of music lool. I remember some blonde chick going on big brother like a year ago or so and commented on the little video before she entered that she liked Indie music (First reaction was....Is that some sort of new movement of music in the UK?).

The other day in college a mate of mine claimed Indie is the best music genre, needless to say i was like  ??? that's opinion not fact. No one cares lol.
Boy Better Know I roll deep with the Nastiest crew, i'm P-Money but i'm O.Gz too"

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2008, 04:10:04 PM »

When I'm 'ere

Poltergeist Remix.

Na, todays generation i presume. I forgot about those two groups, now that i think on it i never really placed them in any category of music lool. I remember some blonde chick going on big brother like a year ago or so and commented on the little video before she entered that she liked Indie music (First reaction was....Is that some sort of new movement of music in the UK?).

The other day in college a mate of mine claimed Indie is the best music genre, needless to say i was like  ??? that's opinion not fact. No one cares lol.

its gonna be guitar based music there on about, basically any british band who are new at the mo.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2008, 04:51:11 PM »
I think it's particularity of certain music scenes and the people who consider themselves part of them to argue their asses off about what genre is a genre in its own right and not part of what other genre, etc. I disagree with anyone who says grime is just not hiphop...it's a fusion of several elements of British urban music, sure, and of course you have to acknowledge the garage/electro/2-step/breakbeat influences which might be equally strong, but the fact remains that, while I cant speak for grime as a whole because I know too little about it, Dizzee and Kano make a type of music that is not at all clearly separable from something you could call "hiphop". I admit that I only got Dizzee's first two albums, but if he hasn't undergone a dramatic change, there's nothing wrong about calling him a hiphop artist while at the same time you can call him a grime artist, the point being that those styles are so close and that hiphop is such a broad term that it's ridiculous to try and act like there's a hella clear line to be drawn. And Kano, especially the recent stuff, not being hiphop but something so totally different the comment that he might just be a hiphop artist is to be lol'ed at (no offense Bedford, but really...) is not even debatable IMO.

Money

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2008, 04:53:04 PM »
I think it's particularity of certain music scenes and the people who consider themselves part of them to argue their asses off about what genre is a genre in its own right and not part of what other genre, etc. I disagree with anyone who says grime is just not hiphop...it's a fusion of several elements of British urban music, sure, and of course you have to acknowledge the garage/electro/2-step/breakbeat influences which might be equally strong, but the fact remains that, while I cant speak for grime as a whole because I know too little about it, Dizzee and Kano make a type of music that is not at all clearly separable from something you could call "hiphop". I admit that I only got Dizzee's first two albums, but if he hasn't undergone a dramatic change, there's nothing wrong about calling him a hiphop artist while at the same time you can call him a grime artist, the point being that those styles are so close and that hiphop is such a broad term that it's ridiculous to try and act like there's a hella clear line to be drawn. And Kano, especially the recent stuff, not being hiphop but something so totally different the comment that he might just be a hiphop artist is to be lol'ed at (no offense Bedford, but really...) is not even debatable IMO.
its kinda like metal and punk. they are different styles but they are all rock music.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »
LOL so being honest about my opinion is "hate?" I swear that must be the most misused and overused term in hip hop...

It wasn't constructive criticism. It wasn't praise. It was a simple reason you disliked the Grime/Hip Hop UK scene. So i judged out it must have been hate.

If it hurts you that much, and you well and truly believe it isn't hate. I'll change what i meant instead.

"Thanks for the distaste in the UK Scene."

Anyway, yeah that Wiley Rolex single was more pointed towards dance, and we have to admit it actually did catch UKs attention quite a bit better than his past Grime hits. Lol heres me hoping he doesn't make the jump off Grime.

cheerio, mate!

Euro-Trash

• 'G'
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2008, 05:11:20 PM »
three cheers for british hip hop!
[

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 02:29:58 AM »
grime isnt hip hop...its roots arent hip hop

its roots are in garage,jungle,d n b etc

ive never seen anyone break-dancing to grime

more gun finger skanking than anything

anyway i'd peep this lot

Bashy
Ghetto
Durty Goodz
Chipmunk
Griminal
Dot Rotten
P Money
Little Dee
Scorcher
Wretch 32

in fact when i get home imma find sum old school clashes and shit

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 02:38:25 AM »
oh on that note...i'd expect a few ppl to start sending for kano after listening to Westwood last night...he seems under the impression he can make pop tunes get dropped from his label then jump back on the grime underground thing...im not too sure myself...things have changed since he came up...i can think of a few man that would blaze him on set nowadayz

speakin of which bedford have you seen the westwood footage of Ghetto Jammer Tempz etc??...beeeeeeeeef lol

JAZ

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 03:36:38 AM »
hook me up with a link for a roll deep album.

Kill

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 05:45:53 AM »
grime isnt hip hop...its roots arent hip hop

its roots are in garage,jungle,d n b etc

ive never seen anyone break-dancing to grime
I've never seen anyone break-dancing to Mobb Deep...see, of course Grime's largely based in the garage culture, but it merged that with a lot of elements from hiphop, so I still don't see why you shouldn't consider it part of both

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 06:04:52 AM »
i'll agree to a certain extent,but its more certain individuals being influenced by certain genres as opposed to the scene spawning from something else....grime spawned from the streets seeping into the garage scene until it created a whole new genre...you can say it took influences from certain genres(i.e hip hop)..but hip-hop took influence from jazz,the blue etc and no-body trys to tie hip hop in with that...they both come under "urban music" but are certainly far from the same genre

not to say you cant have artists that do both well..and they certainly shouldnt be criticized for doing so..in the words of Ghetz

"sometimes i rap so they say im cheating on grime
til i slow a n*gga down like day time traffic
you man are just scared of slower tempo's
cus when theres space for more words
bet ya feel like you just sprayed a poor verse"

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 06:06:28 AM by StreetsAllSalute »

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 06:11:31 AM »
Off the top of my head, im only really a fan of Sway, Akala, S.A.S and Wiley. Think every1 else is average  :-\

da_notorious_mack

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 06:14:21 AM »
Off the top of my head, im only really a fan of Sway, Akala, S.A.S and Wiley. Think every1 else is average  :-\

ive gone off sway and akala big time..can't even say why i just dont check for them anymore