Author Topic: Marc Gasol Signs with the Memphis Grizzlies  (Read 445 times)

'EclipZe

Marc Gasol Signs with the Memphis Grizzlies
« on: July 02, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »
The Grizzlies made a bold trade on draft night to acquire O.J. Mayo. Now they might have added another "lottery" pick.

Marc Gasol, the younger brother of Lakers center Pau Gasol, has agreed to a three-year deal worth $10 million, according to a league source. The contract has yet to be signed, but was said to be near completion.

Gasol, 23, is considered one of the top players in Europe. Last year the 7-foot-1 center was named MVP of the Spanish League after averaging 16.2 points and 8.3 rebounds per game for Akasvayu Girona. He could join with 7-foot Darko Milicic to give the Grizzlies one of the taller frontcourts in the NBA.

Grizzlies GM Chris Wallace was not available to comment. But earlier this month he said Gasol would have been a lottery pick in the '08 draft.

"He was drafted 48th by the Lakers last year, but if he was in the draft this season he'd be deep in the lottery," Wallace said. "He's one of the elite players in Europe."

Gasol joins Mayo, the talented combo guard out of USC who was drafted No. 3 overall by the T'wolves in last Thursday's draft and then acquired in a subsequent trade for the No. 5 pick (Kevin Love) and Mike Miller, in giving Memphis two new faces for their rebuilding effort.

He also gives the Grizzlies another tangible piece to show for last February's controversial trade that sent Pau from Memphis to L.A. in exchange for Kwame Brown's expiring contract, two first-round picks and the rights to Marc Gasol and rookie point guard Javaris Crittenton.

Wallace was widely criticized for the seeming giveaway during the season, but thanks to Brown's expiring deal the Grizzlies had some $12 million under the salary cap. They were able to use some of it to sign Marc Gasol. With some $9 million still left over, Memphis could get another quality player on the free agent market or make a trade that takes back more salary in return (as the Bobcats did last summer in trading for Jason Richardson).

Gasol, who turned down more lucrative offers in Europe to come to the NBA, should feel at home in Memphis. He attended high school in the area while his brother Pau played for the Grizzlies.

yeahhhhhhh gasol vs gasol next year  8) i think grizzm ade a good move with this

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Marc Gasol Signs with the Memphis Grizzlies
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 01:21:02 PM »
not many "top players" in europe make it long in the nba. theres exceptions, but if his last name wasnt gasol i wonder if he'd still be comin over here.

Antonio_

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
not many "top players" in europe make it long in the nba. theres exceptions, but if his last name wasnt gasol i wonder if he'd still be comin over here.

When you have a surname so important obviously people are gonna ask this question. The same thing is happening to Danilo Gallinari, who's the son of Vittorio, a former friend and teammate of Mike D'Antoni here in Italy. But i think both deserve a chance in the NBA. Danilo cause he's one of the most exciting young players in Europe, and Marc because of his big body and because he just won the MVP throphy of the Spanish Tournament. There's a chance both of them will have a nice career, imho.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 01:32:15 PM »

When you have a surname so important obviously people are gonna ask this question. The same thing is happening to Danilo Gallinari, who's the son of Vittorio, a former friend and teammate of Mike D'Antoni here in Italy. But i think both deserve a chance in the NBA. Danilo cause he's one of the most exciting young players in Europe, and Marc because of his big body and because he just won the MVP throphy of the Spanish Tournament. There's a chance both of them will have a nice career, imho.

theres a chance anybody can have a nice career, i just remember sarunis jackicakis (im not sure on the last name lol), was MVP of the euro-league or some shit and came here and was a bust. honestly, ive never seen either one of them play much, so im interested to see how they play come next season.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
Holy shit...10 mill is a lot without seeing him play a single game in the NBA.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »

theres a chance anybody can have a nice career, i just remember sarunis jackicakis (im not sure on the last name lol), was MVP of the euro-league or some shit and came here and was a bust. honestly, ive never seen either one of them play much, so im interested to see how they play come next season.

Sarunas Jasikevicius wasn't exactly a bust, he just wasn't getting the PT and money he'd be getting in Europe...still, Marc Gasol plays the same type of game as his brother, who's already an all-star player, only he's bigger and more physical. I think it's a great move for Memphis. I have a feeling he'll be good to go as soon as he gets here. The Gasol trade isn't looking so lopsided afterall...especially after J-Critt pans out.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »

You're talking about Šarūnas Jasikevičius. Yeah, he dominated Euroleague along with teammates Juan Carlos Navarro (Barcelona Fc), Anthony Parker & Maceo Baston (Maccabi Tel Aviv), just to make a few names you probably know. Yes, it's true sometimes players who dominates in Europe didn't have a successful career in the NBA or fails when they play there. And it's also true that some of the most dominant players in Europe are Will Bynum, Vonteego Cummings, Marcus Brown, Dimitrios Diamantidis, Pablo Prigioni, Igor Rakocevic, Ramunas Siskauskas, Lazaros Papadopoulos, Matjaz Smodis, Nikola Vujcic, etc.. and i'm sure you've never heard of them.. Basketball is strange, tho.

Back on topic, Marc Gasol played very well in Spain. I dunno if he's worth a $ 10 mill contract, but he's defo a pretty good prospect with a very interesting body.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 03:29:07 PM »

Stupid niggas considering how broke they act.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 03:58:36 PM »

Stupid niggas considering how broke they act.

They have more than enough money to spend after trading away Gasol and Mike Miller...