Author Topic: DUBCNN: Bishop Lamont "Grow Up" Untagged Exclusive, CDQ DIRTY AND CLEAN  (Read 8431 times)

RhyanG

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
This track is very average. Bishop just doesnt have interesting factor. Boring!

Bojakabo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BOJAKaBOOOO
nice shit, i hope this is the direction for the album!

CRAFTY

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Sign Of The Cruz"
I just gave this song its first spin. Sounds hot...nice laid back production, those claps remind of Busta's "Get You Some". In that sense though, it does sound a bit recycled. But then again, pretty much all producers recycle their drums (Khalil, Battlecat, Quik, ...), so I don't really care. Sounds dope!

If it were up to me, I would've changed the chorus though. That "up - up - uuuup" thing might be catchy, along with the Kool & the Gang sample, but I would've let a singer do the chorus. There's plenty of up-and-coming R&B talent on the West. Toussaint, Mike Ant, BJ The Kid (or what's his name again?), Chevy Jones, etc...

By the way: that guitar lick reminds me a lot of P Diddy's "I Need A Girl Part 2" (w/ Mario Winans, Ginuwine & Loon). Anyone else hear it?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 02:59:25 AM by CRAFTY »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
I have to say I like the track. A couple of things though.

I don't understand what Bishop and Dre are trying to achieve here. This doesn't really introduce Bishop well to a radio audience. The theme of the track is totally inward looking about the state of hip-hop - he is addressing other rappers. It's a good album cut but I would have liked to hear a more universal theme. Hip-hop turning in on itself like this on a dude's first real single is to me not a good thing but all part of its demise...

Musically the track is ok. It's catchy but it's not a particularly great cross-over track. To be honest, I'm not a Kanye fan but comparing it to something like "When it all falls down" (which was the first Kanye track I heard), that was a hella of a track; a great pop song and decent enough hip-hop. Maybe it's personal taste but when that came out, it really was fresh as f*ck. This track sounds good but we've heard it before maybe not on a single but on countless albums.

Nice though the song is, its not interesting enough to have much replay value. If you want to blast peops away or even just get their attention, you have to come with something which is fresh in terms of concept, sound, everything. I really don't think this track is it.   

when it comes to this track as the first single choice, i agree with you.

then again, great crossover singles are scarce.

DPG4Life

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
cool track, but i cant see this working as 1st single...
and im disappointed in dres production, its ok, but i dont want detox to sound like this - i was expecting something mind-blowing.... and the 1st single of the reformation should go along with that...

Lucifuge

heters shit on this now they wont some timbo tehno shit :P
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

Mietek23

preety average track although I wish Bishop nothing but a success with his album since Cali need him but this beat is nothing special and it really shows how Dre fell the fuck off with his shit...

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Normally I'd be on the side of the people who are saying it's not a good first single choice... but I have made that same mistake so many times with so many Dre songs, as I said before...

In Da Club - sounded kind of boring and plodding, just those same three keyboard notes over and over, didn't even sound like a club track because it wasn't all hyped up and faster, and there didn't seem to be a chorus because the chorus just sounds like a verse.... I said no one outside of Dre-heads will be feeling this shit... boy was I wrong

Westside Story/How We Do - the first one sounded like a ripoff of In Da Club, but more cliched gangsta-rap style, and the second sounded like a 5-second-to-make beat because it was just 808 drums and a very, very, very simple 3 note melody... AND Game's verses sounded rushed and kind of off time... I thought this won't appeal to many people... but again, I was wrong

Still DRE - I had been waiting for around 7 years for a new Dre single... what I got was a 2 note piano thing repeatedly going 'ding ding ding ding' the entire way through the track, how annoying is that I thought... and the chorus didn't seem very memorable... again I was wrong

My Name Is - this leaked way before the album dropped and everyone was hyped because this was Dre's new guy... I wasn't impressed... he had a whiny high voice and the beat wasn't mindblowing, it was just a simple loop... and the chorus was some super simple shit... again, I was wrong!!

So this new Bishop track may not blow up... but if it doesn't, it won't be because of any of the reasons anyone has said here, because really, it's no different to a lot of the first tracks of some of the most successful Dre shit if you break it down. I could say the track is a simple guitar loop, and the chorus isn't that catchy, etc etc, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be wrong about another Dre track! Lol, so I think if this gets everywhere like those other tracks did, it'll probably blow up

Paul

track is damn near perfect apart from the hook, man i hope it grows on me
funkyfreshintheflesh

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Normally I'd be on the side of the people who are saying it's not a good first single choice... but I have made that same mistake so many times with so many Dre songs, as I said before...

In Da Club - sounded kind of boring and plodding, just those same three keyboard notes over and over, didn't even sound like a club track because it wasn't all hyped up and faster, and there didn't seem to be a chorus because the chorus just sounds like a verse.... I said no one outside of Dre-heads will be feeling this shit... boy was I wrong

Westside Story/How We Do - the first one sounded like a ripoff of In Da Club, but more cliched gangsta-rap style, and the second sounded like a 5-second-to-make beat because it was just 808 drums and a very, very, very simple 3 note melody... AND Game's verses sounded rushed and kind of off time... I thought this won't appeal to many people... but again, I was wrong

Still DRE - I had been waiting for around 7 years for a new Dre single... what I got was a 2 note piano thing repeatedly going 'ding ding ding ding' the entire way through the track, how annoying is that I thought... and the chorus didn't seem very memorable... again I was wrong

My Name Is - this leaked way before the album dropped and everyone was hyped because this was Dre's new guy... I wasn't impressed... he had a whiny high voice and the beat wasn't mindblowing, it was just a simple loop... and the chorus was some super simple shit... again, I was wrong!!

So this new Bishop track may not blow up... but if it doesn't, it won't be because of any of the reasons anyone has said here, because really, it's no different to a lot of the first tracks of some of the most successful Dre shit if you break it down. I could say the track is a simple guitar loop, and the chorus isn't that catchy, etc etc, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna be wrong about another Dre track! Lol, so I think if this gets everywhere like those other tracks did, it'll probably blow up

in the end, it's up to interscope to decide.

i really doubt they have accepted this as a first single, otherwise it would have been confirmed on their website right?

Matty

Re: DUBCNN: Bishop Lamont "Grow Up" Untagged Exclusive, CDQ DIRTY AND CLEAN
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2008, 07:33:51 AM »
apparently there's gonna be a video filmed for this in a couple of weeks with bishop and dre - dunno if there's any truth to that though...

Lunatic

« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2008, 10:08:01 AM »
apparently there's gonna be a video filmed for this in a couple of weeks with bishop and dre - dunno if there's any truth to that though...
heard this where?
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Matty

« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2008, 11:18:56 AM »
was talking to someone who said bishop said that in some new interview, so no idea really. still, you never know...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #103 on: July 05, 2008, 12:24:37 PM »
AllHipHop.com: Do you have a single for The Reformation album dropping soon?

Bishop Lamont: I would look for it in July.

AllHipHop.com: Is the one for the video that you shot in the Bahamas? The song called “I Dominate” with Dr. Dre?

Bishop Lamont: No. We didn’t shoot that video. We went out there but changed our minds at the last minute. Thank God we did that because this one is even a greater record than “I Dominate.” That song was an ill record but it’s like a 3rd or 4th single type of song. It was kind of like a “Big Pimpin” poppy-type record with me and Dre. We’re both buff so we wanted to get on some yachts. This new single though is a record called “Growed Up”, produced by Dr. Dre, that is so f**kin’ ridiculous. That’s the first single. You’ll hear him rap on something later also.

so who knows  :P

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #104 on: July 05, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »
AllHipHop.com: Do you have a single for The Reformation album dropping soon?

Bishop Lamont: I would look for it in July.

AllHipHop.com: Is the one for the video that you shot in the Bahamas? The song called “I Dominate” with Dr. Dre?

Bishop Lamont: No. We didn’t shoot that video. We went out there but changed our minds at the last minute. Thank God we did that because this one is even a greater record than “I Dominate.” That song was an ill record but it’s like a 3rd or 4th single type of song. It was kind of like a “Big Pimpin” poppy-type record with me and Dre. We’re both buff so we wanted to get on some yachts. This new single though is a record called “Growed Up”, produced by Dr. Dre, that is so f**kin’ ridiculous. That’s the first single. You’ll hear him rap on something later also.

so who knows  :P

Mmmm, so Bishop thinks 'Grow Up' is even greater than 'I Dominate'? So 'I Dominate' may not be that amazing then... though who knows