Author Topic: I the only one who thinks Talib Kwelis first album was classic and the rest wak  (Read 571 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
"Reflection Eternal" is one of the classic hip-hop albums to me of all-time.  And in the top 3 of "conscious hip-hop albums" of all time.  Hi-Tek's production was flawless, he incorporated a wide variety of sounds, from African drumming to Rick James, yet he provided contininuity throughout the whole album, something that the other albums lack.

His newer albums have a Kanye joint here and there, but I miss the days when one producer would hold down a whole record, like Dre with Snoop's "Doggystyle" or when Organized Noise held down Outkasts first couple records, or Warren G with the Twinz, Dove Shack.  Those are the records I really love.  One producer, continuity of sound and concept throughout, rather than a collection of tracks.

And Talib had some classic joints on that album, like the prophetic chorus "Where were you the day hip-hop died, is it too early to mourn is it to late to ride?"

"Sweet Memories", "The Blast" were classic joints, and the guest appearances were all necassary and in sync with the sound and concept, Xzibit came through with a hott verse, Mos Def was up in there, Kool G. Rap, Nelson Mandela even made a guest appearance. 

Great concept, great message, production, lyrics... this album had it all.  But I haven't felt any of his other albums, nor any of his other joints he's done since.  I loved his work with Mos Def on there Black Star album back in the day, but that was a couple years before Reflection Eternal.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
i agree that the album is incredible and obviously his best work, but not all the albums after were wack, maybe only beautiful struggle, but thats it....i enjoyed his last album.....and btw, that wasnt nelson mandela, it was dave chapelle doing an impression of him
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

OchoCinco

talib and mos def cd blackstar is dope ....u hsould peep that 8)

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Nelson Mandela even made a guest appearance. 

::)

Quality was a good album aswell, i really enjoyed it.

everlast1986

'Black Star', and 'Train Of Thought' are classics.  'Quality' and 'Liberation' (which Madlib produced the whole album) are well above average. 'Ear Drum' and 'The Beauiful Struggle' just have some good tracks but thats it.

Invincible

talib and mos def cd blackstar is dope ....u hsould peep that 8)

in my ride at the moment. Dope indeed.

NotoriousTDA

i agree that the album is incredible and obviously his best work, but not all the albums after were wack, maybe only beautiful struggle, but thats it....i enjoyed his last album.....and btw, that wasnt nelson mandela, it was dave chapelle doing an impression of him

LOL!!!!!!

But yeah R.E. was dope, theres no questioning that. Big Del from da Natti was like my favourite track, that beat was sooooo hot! Too bad talib didnt rip that beat man, kind of a waste.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
i liked quality and beatiful struggle.

right about now was aight... ill let it slide cause it was officially just a mixtape

but eardrum.... thats some garbage. i dont know what people see in that album

everlast1986

Theres some sleepers on 'Ear Drum' like "Say Something, "Perfect Beat", "In The Mood", "Hostile Takeover Parts 1 & 2". But theres just someting missing from it that makes me not listen to it the whole way through. Same with 'Beautiful Struggle'.

Invincible

Theres some sleepers on 'Ear Drum' like "Say Something, "Perfect Beat", "In The Mood", "Hostile Takeover Parts 1 & 2". But theres just someting missing from it that makes me not listen to it the whole way through. Same with 'Beautiful Struggle'.

Its the fact that there is a consistent sound to the album. Although I'm not a massive fan of the album, Cham's last album is a good example, that did have it and thats why it was rated highly on here. Perfect Beat is seriously ill though.

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
i liked quality, and buitiful stuggle was ooook, but yea, traij of thought was dope as fuck, actually relistening it now, i heard a quote that i missed before, that i heard in my world music class (from africa) "if you can talk you can sing, if you can walk you can dance", dopeness

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!

My favourite Talib album is Quality but I agree the ones that have followed though containing some good songs, have been extremely disappointing. However I put that down to too many bullshit beats and as a matter of fact he sounds uninspired in many ways.

Doggystylin

Nelson Mandela even made a guest appearance. 

lmao

Sikotic™

The Beautiful Struggle and Listen sucked a bag of dicks.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE