Poll

?

THE BABE
14 (70%)
THE *
6 (30%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: RND 2. DUBCC'S HOF: BASEBALL'S GOAT POSITION PLAYER #1 BABE RUTH VS #10 BONDS  (Read 1012 times)

herpes

hahaha

i love when people challenge ol' Hackenshmidt to a baseball arguement  8)

see here is the thing, your arguing that Ruth had no control over who he played, that he was popular with Negro players, and that's well known, but the bottomline is that the Negro League was full of great talent in the 20's, the height of the league, and Ruth never was allowed to play them. For that, and that allone the era was full of what ifs. Josh Gibson they said hit 800 home runs in the Negro League, but because of faulty stat taking it's not regonize. You think your a get baseball source, but unless you are 90 years old facts are your wikipedia is your major source. You like me have no real footage of these players, we are left with stat books and stories. And as a history major, I can say that all stories, even the Bible, have to be looked at critially. So when I hear about Ruth, I don't question if he was a great player, but what I do know, even before the bigger head, Barry Bonds was the greatest player I've ever seen, and Bonds before 1998 gave me no questions that he was every just as bit as good as the great players from Willie Mays' era. To me that was when baseball was at it's greatest, it's puriest. Before Jackie Robinson baseball, by no fault of it's players, was like the US pre-1865, stained, and those records are put into question. Ruth got baseball out of the deadball era, put butts in seats and for it he is treated like the greatest player ever. This country loves to think of guy who looks like one of them, has a great smile and a strong bat as the GOAT. But to me, I can't see him that way. Not when there was a league full of great players who never had a chance to prove how good they can be. In the flip side, once Jose Canseco came on the field, baseball became stained again. We will never know if most of these players are juicing until they come out or get caught. Neither has happened to Barry, but his the poster child of steriods, mainly because of his bad relationship with the press. I never thought he should have broken Hank Aaron's record, but he did, and his swing was so quick and so sweet that he honestly could have been a great home run hitter in his career IF he would have focused on strength earlier instead of waiting to "experiment". These players have ??s all over them. I think Bonds was a better athlete than Ruth, I think that his swing was better, and aside from Ruth being one of the best pitchers in the game, I think Bonds was a better all around player than Ruth, from stolen bases to contact hits to fielding. He's a 2nd generation player, he knew the game coming in and he played like it, until 1998.

blah blah blah.  what good is a stolen base when you hit 50 home runs, 15 triples and 30 doubles a year??

Buck Oneal himself said that your average Negro league team consisted of 2-3 position players of MLB quality and 1-2 pitchers

now if a roster is 15-20 players deep, thats not much.  1/4 of the rosters.

now, really, why am i bothering to argue with you?  you actually think Bonds is a better contact hitter than Babe Ruth?  wow. ::) 

what makes you think that?  the fact his batting aveage is .035 points above the league average, which is smaller than Ruth's .057?

the fact Ruth's slugging % was miles ahead?  were you really THAT impressed by bonds' two steroid enhanced batting titles that you've swayed your decision??

please tell me.

Babe Ruth in 1923 had the best fielding season by a right fielder of all time.

you forget Ruth had a ROCKET of an arm, and was very speedy until the late 1920's.

come on now, you just sound bitter.

btw the way: josh gibosn's 800 home runs = a mythical total for negro league, minor league and exhibiton games....this includes against amateur talent.

he's only confirmed for hitting about 150 against negro league competition and cuban leagues (legit leauges)

gibson would not hit 800 in the majors, especially being a catcher.

LOL... you just looked up who he was... lol... nice.

Actually people that are students of the game know this.

OG Hack Wilson

WAS THIS GUY QUESTIONING IF I KNEW WHO JOSH GIBSON WAS????

LOL

1-i have a Gibson poster hanging in my bedroom of his Crawfords team from 1930

2-nigga ive met people who WATCHED josh gibson play in North Carolina in the 1930's and I got audio-interview proof if your ass wants it  8)

3-i've got 2 different biographies on the man

m dogg your funny.
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

herpes

LOL

2-nigga ive met people who WATCHED josh gibson play in North Carolina in the 1930's and I got audio-interview proof if your ass wants it  8)

m dogg your funny.

mdogg doesn't like white people so he tries to discredit any accomplishment a white person achieves.  Racism in this country will never be resolved until all parties involved take a look in the mirror and realize they are doing all they can to help perpetuate racism.

OG Hack Wilson

LOL

m dogg your funny.

mdogg doesn't like white people so he tries to discredit any accomplishment a white person achieves.  Racism in this country will never be resolved until all parties involved take a look in the mirror and realize they are doing all they can to help perpetuate racism.

thats what I assumed was going on here

hack wilson is not down with racism.
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside

LOL

m dogg your funny.

I DON'T LIKE WHITE PEOPLE?? LOL.... Dude, that's why I moved from Cali to MN, because I don't like white people, so I moved from an area with no white people to an area with LOTS of them... lol.

"THE" MoSav

OOOOHHH dont question Hack the Great...LMFAO

The Best of 3 Worlds

herpes

LOL

m dogg your funny.

I DON'T LIKE WHITE PEOPLE?? LOL.... Dude, that's why I moved from Cali to MN, because I don't like white people, so I moved from an area with no white people to an area with LOTS of them... lol.

sounds like the well I have a lot of black friends excuse.

herpes

How come the Bonds >>> Ruth never has a argument for why they have that opinion ?  Except Mdogg but his views are racially motivated.

Real American

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Oh god, Ruth never played against black players, many black pitchers were far better than the white ones of that era. Ruth deserves an * just like Bonds today playing a juiced era. From the time Jackie Robinson played to the time Jose Canseco put that needle to his arm was when you can truly judge the best batters. Before then we don't even consider Negro League players in this list, you better believe I'll mention Josh Gibson when we do catchers.

Bonds played during an era when there was 30 teams and the pitching was watered down. When Ruth played there was like 18 teams. Besides, black players aren't exactly known for pitching.

Ruth is the king, deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:59:29 PM by Real American »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

How come the Bonds >>> Ruth never has a argument for why they have that opinion ?  Except Mdogg but his views are racially motivated.

I will say I have a slight biased... but it has to do with one simple fact... RIVERSIDE, CA!!!! My birth city, the city my mom grew up in, and the city Bobby Bonds is from and the city Barry was born. My family were baseball players, and my aunt married someone who's dad play with both Dusty and Bobby. Barry carries on that legecy for the city, no matter how flawed he is. In Riverside, since the old families moved out and lots of new people moved in, there's not that sense of pride like when Bobby and Dusty played, but I was baptisted in a church 2 blocks from Bobby Bond's Park and Dusty Baker tried to reopen the park, he, Bonds and my cousins played at, but was closed in the 90's due to violence. Barry is that legacy of old Riverside, and it's that old Riverside that was small enough that there's a connection to Bonds, and I have a cousin who's half black and cousin's with Reggie Miller, and also have an aunt who was classmates with Ronnie Lott of the 49ers, and now I was in the same starting defense in high school as Nick Barnett, starting middle linebacker of the Packers. And I'm sorry, Reggie is better than everyone but MJ and Magic, Bonds is only second to Willie Mays and Barnett with end his career better than Seau LT as a linebacker...lol.

But on the real, I think Bonds is better than Ruth. Ruth's legacy is just as tanted as Bonds.

"THE" MoSav

Eveybody has there own opinion, but for me its hard to say someone is the greatest and argue for that when i wasnt even alive, when they were playing...All i got off is old clips and what i hear

The Best of 3 Worlds

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch

LOL

m dogg your funny.

::scratches head:::

i'm sorry but you come from the area that INVENTED the  Bro Culture. 

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

LOL

m dogg your funny.

::scratches head:::

i'm sorry but you come from the area that INVENTED the  Bro Culture. 

San Bernardino/Riverside?? Maybe invented Chicano culture... lol... but we don't have many black people either.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
mdogg you are wrong again. the chicano movement has more roots in east los angeles, and "Aztan" in general, than your hallowed tap Out wearning Bro Country.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

OG Hack Wilson

Oh god, Ruth never played against black players, many black pitchers were far better than the white ones of that era. Ruth deserves an * just like Bonds today playing a juiced era. From the time Jackie Robinson played to the time Jose Canseco put that needle to his arm was when you can truly judge the best batters. Before then we don't even consider Negro League players in this list, you better believe I'll mention Josh Gibson when we do catchers.

Bonds played during an era when there was 30 teams and the pitching was watered down. When Ruth played there was like 18 teams. Besides, black players aren't exactly known for pitching.

Ruth is the king, deal with it.

very well put

there were 16 teams when Babe played by the way

I would know, I was on one of them.