Author Topic: Bishop's Involvement in Detox/the next iteration of Dre/ The Game  (Read 832 times)

me1

I'm really beginning to think we've underestimated what's capable of this pairing. 

Bishop is helping Dre define what he wants to be his crowning achievement (Detox). 

Let's be real, that's about the coolest sh*t anybody from the West could want on their resume.  And it speaks volumes on Bishop's talent that he is so prominently involved in the creation of this coming Dre record and others are seemingly not (Eminem, Snoop, 50). 

Not to mention those that haven't been given a look of any kind.  I'm no Game basher, but he's had no hand in this record.  None.  Dre's coming with his solo sh*t and only he chooses who gets to benefit from that.  He's chosen Bishop, no one else.

And of all the people he's worked with, it's this new energy and chemistry with Bishop he's banking on.

He hit a creative lull when he left Death Row.  Then Eminem and him found a chemistry to create.  Same's happened with Bishop.   

So that's why I believe they've got some incredible music created.  The bar's been raised so high by his previous work that we can almost guarantee that this combo is going to be ill.  Because Dre's shit is coming.  And if it's making it's way to our ears, it's going to be ill. 

This hip hop culture is so quick to hate, doubt, expect a fall-off.  Dude has got a track record and we are EXTREMELY skeptical for some reason. Nature of the beast (the hip hop fan).     

Think of what he's created and what's been thrown away.  The stuff that he's put his name on is what we all bump 15-20 years after the fact.  So I can guarantee we'll be doing the same with Detox and The Reformation.  And hell, even for that matter, Eminem's new shit (dude is going to come back SPITTING).  The only question is: Will the experience be comparable to Paul's Boutique of the Beastie Boys.  Something so revolutionary it doesn't blow up commercially, but gets critical praise of epic proportion only to be appreciated years later.  I think out of the gate it's going to blow up the streets, the club, TV, pop culture = all the above....

Grow Up, on a proper system, or on blunted through your headphones is an experience. The same is going to be true and then some for what we get in the coming year.   

I'm hyped.  Hopefully I'm not alone.  I'm getting at that point where I'm google news-ing "DRE DETOX" every damn day.  Shit better produce some good results soon.  I'm tired of waiting. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 04:44:34 PM by manny1 »

whipEr

Re: Bishop's Involvement in Detox/the next iteration of Dre/ The Game
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »
I'm tired of waiting. 
yap me 2

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 04:56:53 PM »
Only time will tell at this point. I feel Bishop is skilled enough to be the "chosen one", although I'm afraid it's impossible for Detox to live up to all the hype. Without getting my hopes up too high, I'm just expecting quality music. Dre wanted to launch Hittman's career following Chronic 2001 the same way he did Snoop on his first album, but we know what happened there. Talent-wise, there is no underestimating Bishop. On a business level, it's a different story.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 05:13:48 PM »
Good post

I think the HipHop hating thing is right on the money, and also a human trait in general - to not believe something until it has happened... loads of HipHop heads weren't feeling NWA out of the gate (too hardcore people said), or Snoop (too simplistic compared to East Coast rappers), or Eminem (voice is too whiny and dude is white), or 50 Cent (another cliched gangsta rapper), or The Game (yet another cliched gangsta rapper)... and all those dudes blew up and now people act like they it was obvious, when it never was
So when dudes say Bishop isn't the kind of guy who can blow up... well, maybe... but looking back, he has just as much chance as those cats that came before him

I think with Detox people have been expecting the big new innovation to be musical - as in the beats... but I'm starting to think that the new innovation will be mainly the lyrical content... basically a huge mainstream album with different subject matter than we're used to - that's exactly what 'Grow Up' is

The beats will bang hard, no doubt, but I don't think they will be where the 'difference' is. Critics mainly criticized 2001 for it's cliched, tired lyrical content, and so I think Dre picked up on that and that's why he he's going to change the content with Detox - no more out and out gangsta shit (and therefore no room for Game or 50)

And if you think about it, Dre has never really be an innovator in beats... he has simply taken ideas that are already there and done them the best... G-Funk was already around, he just made two of the finest examples of that style with Chronic and Doggystyle... then people had been doing keyboard, minimalist beats for awhile when he brought out 2001... his shit was just louder and bigger and harder and clearer and all 5/5 beats on one album

I don't think Dre will do a Paul's Boutique on us. He's always had a very commercial ear and I think this album will sound very similar to what he's been doing for the past few years (though it will be some of the best beats of that type), and you may not even notice any difference until you've heard it several times... just like with 'Grow Up', because the difference will be in what's being said, not how it's being said or what beats it's over, at least that's what I'm guessing

So the revolution will probably be a subtle one... not an out and out sonic revolution with crazy new sounds and unpredictable song structures like on Paul's Boutique... 'Grow Up' is verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus... because that is what works on a large scale to get a big audience
I think the plan is to get that audience hooked with the typical structure and big banging beats they're used to, whilst slowly feeding them some new content instead of the same tired gangsta re-treads we've heard for the past 15 or so years

LongBeachsFinest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mafia, Get it? Got it? Good!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 05:46:25 PM »
LMAO wtf is this shit? people arent waiting for the reformation, its gonna come out after detox and detox aint coming out till next year and bishops album is gonna drop at least another two "street singles" from it which are going to fail as much as the previous ones . . then detox drops . .when it fucking drops lol, dres loking old now . . then bishop might get his chance to drop an album but he wont be able to catch a strong enough fanbase to sell as much as interscope need, he'll flop and then he get dropped

"i was ultimate warrior to you bully ass niggas, i will come through the hood with the fully ask niggas"

Chad Vader

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 05:56:50 PM »
I pretty much agree with everything UCC said and don´t really have anymore to add.  :P  ;)
I pretty much said everything I had to say here;  :P  ;)
the SERIOUS detox topic: what we know/have + possible theories
http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=169127

me1

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 06:00:02 PM »
Good post

I think the HipHop hating thing is right on the money, and also a human trait in general - to not believe something until it has happened... loads of HipHop heads weren't feeling NWA out of the gate (too hardcore people said), or Snoop (too simplistic compared to East Coast rappers), or Eminem (voice is too whiny and dude is white), or 50 Cent (another cliched gangsta rapper), or The Game (yet another cliched gangsta rapper)... and all those dudes blew up and now people act like they it was obvious, when it never was
So when dudes say Bishop isn't the kind of guy who can blow up... well, maybe... but looking back, he has just as much chance as those cats that came before him

I think with Detox people have been expecting the big new innovation to be musical - as in the beats... but I'm starting to think that the new innovation will be mainly the lyrical content... basically a huge mainstream album with different subject matter than we're used to - that's exactly what 'Grow Up' is

The beats will bang hard, no doubt, but I don't think they will be where the 'difference' is. Critics mainly criticized 2001 for it's cliched, tired lyrical content, and so I think Dre picked up on that and that's why he he's going to change the content with Detox - no more out and out gangsta shit (and therefore no room for Game or 50)

And if you think about it, Dre has never really be an innovator in beats... he has simply taken ideas that are already there and done them the best... G-Funk was already around, he just made two of the finest examples of that style with Chronic and Doggystyle... then people had been doing keyboard, minimalist beats for awhile when he brought out 2001... his shit was just louder and bigger and harder and clearer and all 5/5 beats on one album

I don't think Dre will do a Paul's Boutique on us. He's always had a very commercial ear and I think this album will sound very similar to what he's been doing for the past few years (though it will be some of the best beats of that type), and you may not even notice any difference until you've heard it several times... just like with 'Grow Up', because the difference will be in what's being said, not how it's being said or what beats it's over, at least that's what I'm guessing

So the revolution will probably be a subtle one... not an out and out sonic revolution with crazy new sounds and unpredictable song structures like on Paul's Boutique... 'Grow Up' is verse chorus verse chorus verse chorus... because that is what works on a large scale to get a big audience
I think the plan is to get that audience hooked with the typical structure and big banging beats they're used to, whilst slowly feeding them some new content instead of the same tired gangsta re-treads we've heard for the past 15 or so years

Good post to you too, sir.

I agree with you on everything you said, totally on point. 

Not only is the content Bishop is throwing out there well rounded in a way that no Dre artist has ever enjoyed, but I think his content is unique to the industry itself.  I'm talking beyond rap.  And I think I came to the "content" vs "banging beat" revolution conclusion myself after bumping Grow Up a few times on my headphones. Dude is on a whole 'nother level in terms of content.  I think he's got crazy cross over appeal and the benefit of Dre beats to ride. 

Nothing cliched about Bishop or what he's saying.  And he's got the hood, funny, laid-back dude vibe to him that we haven't seen in the mainstream.  Dude is polished.

Dre comes with bangers.  So it's going to be a mathematical song structure, just like you said.  D.O.C. called each song on the album "big."  "Real big," I believe.  I like the sound of that. 

« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:08:58 PM by manny1 »

Sriram619

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 07:24:50 PM »
Lets be honest bishop lamont is no where close to being where game is game has a distinct flow and im not saying bishop is not good he is but game would have been a choice for dre to have on the aftermath roster if we got an album with 5 dre beats for game the buzz would be insane im not saying games buzz in not insane right now its huge everyone is anticipating LAX but bishop who knows if people will really feel his stuff we dont know we will have to wait and see

Jimmy H.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 07:33:08 PM »
I can remember Game's situation in particular where people said he was never going to drop and this and that. It seemed to change overnight when he left G-Unit because even after Documentary dropped, there was still a lot of hate. These message boards in general are real funny. If you looked at the amount of hate that people gave 2001 and Documentary in the first months of their release, it's funny to see how they are looked at now.

I actually think in the case of G-Unit, it took a few months before the hate really got deep. When 50's debut dropped, he really did have the game in a choke-hold. The hating really started to build around the first G-Unit album and probably got its strongest when the Massacre dropped. This was when he started dissing Joe & Jada and booted Game from the label.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
Lets be honest bishop lamont is no where close to being where game is game has a distinct flow and im not saying bishop is not good he is but game would have been a choice for dre to have on the aftermath roster if we got an album with 5 dre beats for game the buzz would be insane im not saying games buzz in not insane right now its huge everyone is anticipating LAX but bishop who knows if people will really feel his stuff we dont know we will have to wait and see

People were saying very similiar shit about The Game though when he came out. I don't know how well you remember how things were before Documentary dropped but it was about the same. There was some interest here and there but it's not like he was all over the place. He'd been on a Lloyd Banks album on one track. They throw his verse on Young Buck's song when they took out T.I. There were a shit load of people saying, "He sounds like a New York rapper" or "He sounds just like so and so". He had a few features in some magazines and a mixtape or two but it wasn't until he did the Vibe Awards where people even knew who he was. When it was just Game, some artist on Aftermath that was working with Dre and had no official release date for "Nigga With An Attitude Volume 1", people were really skeptical about if he'd ever drop an album. Fast forward to three and a half years later, it's a different story.

lost_assassin

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 08:00:37 PM »
some ppl make it sound like lamont gon be on every fukin song on the album but he gon be on 3-4 MAX N THATS PUSHIN IT. the most input he's puttin into this is maybe writin for dre or dre askin him his opinion on things, trust me
Cowards Only Wanna Act Hard When Its Convenient-Planet Asia(9mm)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 05:19:02 AM »
I'm really beginning to think we've underestimated what's capable of this pairing. 

Bishop is helping Dre define what he wants to be his crowning achievement (Detox). 

Let's be real, that's about the coolest sh*t anybody from the West could want on their resume.  And it speaks volumes on Bishop's talent that he is so prominently involved in the creation of this coming Dre record and others are seemingly not (Eminem, Snoop, 50). 

Not to mention those that haven't been given a look of any kind.  I'm no Game basher, but he's had no hand in this record.  None.  Dre's coming with his solo sh*t and only he chooses who gets to benefit from that.  He's chosen Bishop, no one else.

And of all the people he's worked with, it's this new energy and chemistry with Bishop he's banking on.

He hit a creative lull when he left Death Row.  Then Eminem and him found a chemistry to create.  Same's happened with Bishop.   

So that's why I believe they've got some incredible music created.  The bar's been raised so high by his previous work that we can almost guarantee that this combo is going to be ill.  Because Dre's shit is coming.  And if it's making it's way to our ears, it's going to be ill. 

This hip hop culture is so quick to hate, doubt, expect a fall-off.  Dude has got a track record and we are EXTREMELY skeptical for some reason. Nature of the beast (the hip hop fan).     

Think of what he's created and what's been thrown away.  The stuff that he's put his name on is what we all bump 15-20 years after the fact.  So I can guarantee we'll be doing the same with Detox and The Reformation.  And hell, even for that matter, Eminem's new shit (dude is going to come back SPITTING).  The only question is: Will the experience be comparable to Paul's Boutique of the Beastie Boys.  Something so revolutionary it doesn't blow up commercially, but gets critical praise of epic proportion only to be appreciated years later.  I think out of the gate it's going to blow up the streets, the club, TV, pop culture = all the above....

Grow Up, on a proper system, or on blunted through your headphones is an experience. The same is going to be true and then some for what we get in the coming year.   

I'm hyped.  Hopefully I'm not alone.  I'm getting at that point where I'm google news-ing "DRE DETOX" every damn day.  Shit better produce some good results soon.  I'm tired of waiting. 

congrats on your first two posts  :cheers:
i like how you put them together; you're being honest and detailed with your descriptions   :)

anyway, the whole situation around Detox is bullshit; the camp should have kept it more quiet after the announcement of Detox.
cause what's the point of giving false promises time after time after time?
honesty is very important.
and as soon as there is something worth revealing, speak on it in public.

anyway, keep up the good work  8)
if you're interested, check my Detox topic ( Chad Vader posted the link above)

hopeye

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 01:54:38 PM »
LMAO wtf is this shit? people arent waiting for the reformation, its gonna come out after detox and detox aint coming out till next year and bishops album is gonna drop at least another two "street singles" from it which are going to fail as much as the previous ones . . then detox drops . .when it fucking drops lol, dres loking old now . . then bishop might get his chance to drop an album but he wont be able to catch a strong enough fanbase to sell as much as interscope need, he'll flop and then he get dropped

THIS DUDE IS FAG! HI HATER! Why would anyone listen to this dumb fuck who has Jay Cock and who ever else on his pics. Do humanity a favor and kill yourself please.