Author Topic: The Big L Appreciation Thread  (Read 418 times)

Lunatic

The Big L Appreciation Thread
« on: July 14, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »
I just finished listening to the first Big L album "Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous" for the first time (late, i know).

I always heard great things about dude but had honestly never actually heard him (not even 1 song). Well my jaw is left WIDE OPEN after hearing this man's debut album. I think my mind is already made up as crowning Big L as the BLUEPRINT for any lyrical rappers, ever. Man this dude got punch lines FOR DAYS, wow. "8 Is Enuff" may be the greatest hip-hop collabo/lyrical song of all time, by the way.

It's a damn shame dude died so young. I wonder what was taking dude so long to release his 2nd album? Anyways, I'm about to bump "The Big Picture" really soon. Are there any other albums or tapes floating around there worth checking out of his? I'm talking any project that has unreleased Big L stuff, I want it all.

Also, what's this infamous freestyle with Jay-Z I keep hearing about? I want to see it. Also, damn shame that Jigga claims L was about to sign to Roc-a-Fella a week after he died.

What do y'all think would be his legacy? some claim he'd be as big as his DITC crew, but no way I see him staying at that level - I think dude would have really blown up. Would he still be dropping dope albums? Would he of sold out? Discuss.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: The Big L Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 10:15:43 AM »
You should find Unseen Picture and The Archives 1996-2000. Both really dope.
Big L was very talented, no doubt, and if he was still alive he would still be. I don't think he would've went Fat Joe and become a sellout, but he would be more mainstream. He would've signed with Roc-a-Fella, around the time Blueprint came out, and I think he would've made a "similar" record. Hiphop to the bone, but with a mainstream appeal. After that he would have been major, still fucking with the DITC producers, giving them some shine. Sad thing is, his prime were yet to come, and he would probably be a top 5 rapper, he would be shitting on a lot of these cats from NY, like Cam'Ron and Fat Joe, who came in the game around the time he did.
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 10:19:34 AM »
You should find Unseen Picture and The Archives 1996-2000. Both really dope.
Big L was very talented, no doubt, and if he was still alive he would still be. I don't think he would've went Fat Joe and become a sellout, but he would be more mainstream. He would've signed with Roc-a-Fella, around the time Blueprint came out, and I think he would've made a "similar" record. Hiphop to the bone, but with a mainstream appeal. After that he would have been major, still fucking with the DITC producers, giving them some shine. Sad thing is, his prime were yet to come, and he would probably be a top 5 rapper, he would be shitting on a lot of these cats from NY, like Cam'Ron and Fat Joe, who came in the game around the time he did.
Hook up link(s) ;)

Hell ya he was talented and still will be. I also don't think he'd outsell to the level of fat joe, but he def would have made a more mainstream record. I'm feeling the comparison to him likely making an album as The Blueprint; real hiphop with maybe 2-3 mainstream joints to keep the album selling. It's scary to think his prime was yet to come due to the fact of how good he was already.

D~Nice

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 10:33:28 AM »
One of the illest. I think there was a rumor of Jay trying to sign him to Roc-A-Fella. But either way he would have made a impact in the game alive just like he has in his death today.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 10:59:18 AM »
Props for checking one of the greats. Better late than never. He was a beast on the mic. I love his debut!

kemizt

Lunatic

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 11:03:50 AM »
^debut is a classic!!

kuruptDPG

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 11:20:27 AM »
luv big l. R.I.P.

Luv his 1st album, dope shit. mvp was dope too.

it was a shame he passed away, wished he collabed wit more artists though.

wats the update wit his new album though? lunatic can u sort sumthn out wit an interview? i heard dj premier was producing his new album

big mat

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • it aint my baby, bitch!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »
I agree that he has puns for days but what i like the most about him is the way he spit multi syllable rhymes, in almost every bar. You should check for the Ditc album, there's some of his best verses on that. THere's also a children of the corn album floating around if you can get your hands on a bootleg or dl it do it.

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 11:24:10 AM »
luv big l. R.I.P.
wats the update wit his new album though? lunatic can u sort sumthn out wit an interview? i heard dj premier was producing his new album
for real, RIP
classic album
damn shame he died
who could i interview for it? lol..

Lunatic

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 11:24:38 AM »
I agree that he has puns for days but what i like the most about him is the way he spit multi syllable rhymes, in almost every bar. You should check for the Ditc album, there's some of his best verses on that. THere's also a children of the corn album floating around if you can get your hands on a bootleg or dl it do it.
what's the DITC cd called? What's Childen of the Corn?

D~Nice

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 11:27:29 AM »

Yeah that COTC album is sick. Mase and Camron on it too. Big Picture is dope too but it was pieced together with just some leftover tracks and freestyles.

NillerTheKid

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
Pretty sure DITC's CD is called DITC. Children of the Corn was a group with Big L, Ma$e, Cam'Ron, McGruff, Digga and Bloodshed. I don't really know the last three.
See these fans can't resist the rush,
they Wu-Tang for life
Scarred for life,
they can't forget the cuts

D~Nice

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 11:43:50 AM »
Pretty sure DITC's CD is called DITC. Children of the Corn was a group with Big L, Ma$e, Cam'Ron, McGruff, Digga and Bloodshed. I don't really know the last three.

Yeah the DITC album is self titled

Blood$

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »
I was big on him back in 8th grade, bought both his albums that year... I don't listen to him much anymore but he is one of the dopest ever to spit 8)

kuruptDPG

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »
luv big l. R.I.P.
for real, RIP
classic album
damn shame he died
who could i interview for it? lol..

dj premier