Author Topic: Joell Ortiz about getting dropped and DETOX  (Read 717 times)

David Gutterman

Joell Ortiz about getting dropped and DETOX
« on: August 04, 2008, 11:45:34 PM »
Joell Ortiz

It really fascinates me how much feeling people put into a word.  I starting thinking a lot about the word “dropped” recently. A few months ago after my former label mate Bishop Lamont told an interviewer I was, ”dropped” from Aftermath.  Very shortly after his interview the news of my being “dropped” was all over the net, announced on the radio and even ended up on the evening news in Puerto Rico. People I hadn’t heard from in years called to express condolences after they heard I got, “dropped”.

A few people in my Mom’s building even taped notes on her door to express there grief over my getting “dropped”.  My mom has stood by me throughout my struggle to get a record deal and she is really protective of me so that word “dropped” affected her a lot.  She called me crying when she heard I got, “dropped”

I explained to her that I asked to be released and not “dropped” but she kept asking me, “Why are doing this to you”  I told her no one was doing anything to me but that word,”dropped” had a grip on her.  She is cool now but it was hard talking to her during that time. All cause of a word. I’ve attached two conversations about me where people are using the word ”dropped”. You can hear the emotions and the acting out that goes on around the word.

The first is where the rumor of me being dropped started.  It’s the Bishop Lamont interview.  During the interview Bishop is asked about me and my situation at Aftermath. Bishop sadly says, “don’t quote me but I think he got dropped.”

If you listen you can hear the mock concern about my being, “dropped” The whole, “I am sorry things didn’t work out” story gets going then Bishop goes on philosophizing on my lack of business savvy while dealing with the big Interscope machine. None of this banter is based in reality but it sounds good.  Now By no means am I trying to disrespect Bishop or the interviewer. I’m simply pointing out something we all do.  We all put feelings on words then create conversation to justify those feelings.

In the next conversation  about me and and my being “dropped” the emotions are completely different than the Bishop interview.  This conversation takes place Between miss Jones and dj envy from the morning show on hot 97.  In this conversation you  can clearly hear the contempt with which Miss Jones ridicules me over being, “dropped”   You can also hear some anger.  All the while Envy plays the role of impartial dj that’s just reporting what he heard.  It’s all very entertaining but again, none of it based in reality.

My next example of how we sometimes add emotions to situations and words is based on a conversation I had with my dude Joe Buddens after he was ”dropped” from Def Jam   When I spoke to Joe he was wild happy that he got dropped.  I actually saw joy and relief in his face as he spoke. Joe chose a different way than most of looking at the situation.  He looked at the word, “dropped as opportunity and freedom”  That doesn’t make him right, it’s just the way he chooses to look at things.

In the past a few of my friends have accused me of over analyzing things. What do yall think?  Am I crazy or do people put way to much meaning into words.  please leave comments.  Would love to hear from you.

By the way, The reality is pretty simple. I asked to get released because I was told that a few albums had to come out before they could even get close to putting mine out.  Dre was kind enough to let me go and we worked out a deal where I will still be part of Detox.  I owe them no money and they cut me a nice check for my services thus far on Detox.  I am a relevant free agent with offers on the table and have more money from shows, writing and my deal with K1X then any advance I would get from a major label.  Most importantly,  I have publishing on one of the most important hip hop projects in the history of the genre.

Gotta Love it!

The Real Kilo2

Re: Joell Ortiz about getting dropped and DETOX
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:36:48 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I ain't really a fan of Joell, but the dude has some common sense. I can't wait to see his work on Detox. Has he signed to anyone again as of yet?

David Gutterman

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 12:49:33 AM »
Thanks for posting this. I ain't really a fan of Joell, but the dude has some common sense. I can't wait to see his work on Detox. Has he signed to anyone again as of yet?

dont know but i think he's a good MC The Brick is a classic to me.

that intro "125 Part 1 (The Bio)" realy good stuff

MediumL

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:54:48 AM »

dont know but i think he's a good MC The Brick is a classic to me.

dunno about the whole album being classic but theres definately classic tracks on it. Do you know when his new mixtapes out?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

David Gutterman

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:31:46 AM »

don't know but i think he's a good MC The Brick is a classic to me.

dunno about the whole album being classic but theres definately classic tracks on it. Do you know when his new mixtapes out?

I dont know  :'(  but i rather have a album with all that aftermath stuff he recorded before he got (sort of) dropped

Matty

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
what's the source cause there was some typos and stuff in there...looks like someone just typed it up :P

s.a.k.10

• 'G'
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:40:10 AM »
he a beast

David Gutterman

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »
what's the source cause there was some typos and stuff in there...looks like someone just typed it up :P

http://joellortiz.wordpress.com/2008/07/30/dropped/

Matty

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
thanks. joell is smart.

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 12:11:01 PM »
Joell is too dope! The Brick is easily in my top 3 albums of 2007

Matty

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 03:26:54 PM »
lol @ the comments on that blog saying he shoulda stuck around on aftermath. its not unreasonable for dude to want to drop an album in his 20's. he completely did the right thing. aftermath doesn't care about releasing music on the regular and he woulda been forced to do some corny records anyway. he knows that. he woulda sat around and got dropped after about 4 years with an album complete and collecting dust. then he woulda looked really stupid!

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »
Truth is, the word "signed" has too much of a positive connotation, which is why "dropped" has such a bad one.

When you hear youngsters and up and comers out there, the main thing they tend to emphasize is being "SIGNED". People like "signed" as if it means "I made it"...but truth is, only 20-30% of artists who are "signed" will finish an album AND have it released...and even less than that will receive proper promotion.

Think of how many artists we know that have been "signed", even major artists...and how many of them actually came out, AND maintained success.