Author Topic: Soul Train Awards  (Read 110 times)

Mota

Soul Train Awards
« on: March 21, 2002, 08:25:17 PM »
-- Alicia Keys's award-show winning streak has yet to come to a halt. The singer, who received five Grammys last month, took home three honors at the 16th Annual Soul Train Music Awards taping Wednesday (March 20) at the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena. The show will be broadcast from March 30 to April 7 on various stations throughout the country.

In addition to receiving the Sammy Davis Jr. award for female entertainer of the year, Keys was also recognized for having the best female R&B/soul album (her debut Songs In A Minor), and being the best R&B/soul or rap new artist. The Isley Brothers. featuring Ron Isley collected the second most honors, being awarded for having the best group R&B/soul single for "Contagious," and the best group R&B/soul album for Eternal.

The late Aaliyah's "Rock The Boat" was named the best female R&B/soul single. Jay-Z's The Blueprint was dubbed the best R&B/soul or rap album of the year, and Missy Elliott's "Get Ur Freak On" was crowned with the Michael Jackson award for best R&B/soul or rap music video.

Surprisingly, India.Arie did not win any awards, despite receiving three nominations. Last month, the singer-songwriter was also a shutout at the Grammys where she was nominated in seven categories. Arie did not attend the Soul Train Music Awards, due to "other commitments," according to her spokesperson, who denied that Arie's lack of participation was the result of any behind-the-scenes problems.

A bit of drama did arise at the Soul Train Music Awards taping, however. Aside from starting one hour late, and taping four hours and 15 minutes (for a 2-hour television broadcast), some of the members of the audience booed when Isley thanked R. Kelly when accepting the best group R&B/soul single award.

While backstage, Isley explained his reaction to hearing the crowd boo for Kelly, who allegedly videotaped himself having sex with an underage teenage girl. "I felt that I heard some cheers and I heard some boos. I've been around long enough to listen to them boo Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and quite a few. And then those people come back for whatever reason and go right back to the top. So, I know, through the boos, they still love who they boo. They're just disappointed in something from that entertainer. But that entertainer always bounce back. I've lived long enough to see those entertainers, such as the Diana Ross and the Supremes, and all those people bounce right back."] SOUNDCUE (:27 OC: . . . .bounce right back.)

Isley is fortunate that his career is devoid of such slumps. His group's two wins for the evening bested competition from hot young acts Destiny's Child, *NSYNC, Jagged Edge, and 112. Isley said the evening's awards were among the group's most significant honors. "It has to be amongst the most important award. I mean last year we received the Quincy Jones Award, and it felt very good for the years that we've spent in the business. This award for the latest effort of work...dear friends of ours that we started out with, Louil Silas, this is for him. He's no longer with us, who is a great A&R person. This album meant so much to the family."

O'Jays lead singer Eddie Levert also spoke about family backstage. His two sons, Gerald and Sean, along with Keith Sweat and Johnny Gill, performed during the musical tribute to the O'Jays. The elder Levert said that he was happy that his children were a part of the celebration. "That's great because I really didn't want them in show business. But they chose to be in show business because of what they like. You know, and they said, 'Forget it pops, we're going to be in show business 'cause you shouldn't have never let us see those girls throw those panties up on the stage."

The following is a complete list of all of the 16th Annual Soul Train Music Awards winners:

2002 QUINCY JONES AWARD FOR OUTSTANDING CAREER ACHIEVEMENTS IN THE FIELD OF ENTERTAINMENT:

The O'Jays

2002 SAMMY DAVIS JR. AWARD FOR "ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR," MALE:

Dr. Dre

2002 SAMMY DAVIS JR. AWARD FOR "ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR," FEMALE:

Alicia Keys

R&B/SOUL SINGLE, FEMALE:

Aaliyah - "Rock The Boat"

BEST R&B/SOUL SINGLE, MALE:

Musiq - "Love"

BEST R&B/SOUL SINGLE, GROUP BAND OR DUO:

Isley Bros. featuring Ron Isley - "Contagious"

BEST R&B/SOUL ALBUM, FEMALE: