Author Topic: The Clause Of Region  (Read 74 times)

Ese Torsido

The Clause Of Region
« on: September 05, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Hip hop/rap is an influence all across the United States. Every region has its own style and genre. For example, if you live in the east coast: New York, Massachusetts, New Jersey, you're going to get that hustler flow, that thug appeal. If you live in the south: Georgia, Louisiana, Florida, it's gotta be crunk, Miami bass. Texas gets chopped and screwed, slowed and flowed. Midwest (Illinois and Ohio) is soulful, conscious.

West coast, mainly California, has many sub-genres. You have gangster, underground, hyphy, backpack/alternative (Yes it was invented here, peep The Pharcyde), and Chicano rap. Problem is, the location.

I'll give you an example. It has come to my attention that rapper Tyga is getting a lot of hate in this forum. I introduced him earlier in the year because he was different in being more old school, but where he came from astonished me. Compton. That's N.W.A. That's The Game. That's gangster rap in a treasure chest. If all rappers came from Compton, they should all follow the clause of N.W.A., right? Be rough, rugged, jealous, no envy, no mercy, no trust. Tyga steered clear of these associations with Compton and went pop, mostly having to do with his association to rock group Fall Out Boy. But look at him: he's got Lil' Wayne on his "No Introduction" album, just like Game got him on his "L.A.X.," but his is hated on. They come from the same city, same state, but different styles.

Now, here's my question. Why you guys hate on him? Is it the style, or is it where he represents? It sounds like some haters have a reputation to live up to. If a rapper comes from Compton, one must respect the elders and live up to their legacy. If that rapper decides to fuck it and go his way, he'll be more than a rebel. He'll be controversy and, in their eyes, a disgrace to their founding fathers. Eazy E got some hate when he introduced Brownside, but now, he's got Latino love for all eternity. Why can't you with Tyga?

One more thing, in the words of Xzibit: do you think that rappers should stick to the script (ie: Long Beach = G-funk, Bay = hyphy) or stick to this dick (do their own thang)?