Author Topic: West Needs More Quality  (Read 825 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: West Needs More Quality
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 01:33:10 PM »
the west needs more quality?

more like, the west coast section needs more quality.

love33

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 11:38:29 PM »
LMAO at this dude saying we need to get rid of the haters and people who are stuck in the mid-90's state of mind and then proceeding to hate on nearly everybody in the West and state that Yukmouth needs to return to his first Luniz album flow. We don't need the West to churn out mainstream club hits. If I wanted that, I'd listen to the guys who are doing it already. Fuck this Internet wannabe A&R shit. "This rapper is good but he needs to do more Teen Beat magazine covers, drop some club songs, maybe do a bunch of R&B duets with Ne-Yo and Usher, and get a haircut." Fuck what's mainstream. I don't want an entire Coast to sell out and make cookie-cutter bullshit so they can get their songs played. I'd rather they tried to bring some diversity to the music. That's what's missing. We need artists who are gonna push the envelope creatively. Having these rappers do what everyone else is doing will not bring the West back. Their die-hard fans will shit on it and the younger fans will just listen to the guys who was doing it originally. We don't need West Coast compilation albums that sound like "Now! That's What I Call Music" collections. Let's just bring on the artists who can make music that people feel. We don't need to feed one demographic especially when they far from starving. There's an entire audience of fans that aren't studying that and want something with content. Time for these artists to just do their shit independently and forget these majors and MTV crap. '

Disagree entirely.  Music needs to advance.  I've been listening to West Coast rap since 1992 and it hasn't advanced.  We are still stuck somewhere in 1999.  Go listen to Chico & Coolwadda and Mr. Short Khop and tell me there's not much difference from what you're hearing today.  Then you have artists that I named above that go all the way back to 1993.  XL Middleton has no different style than MC Eiht as far as musical quality is concerned.  We had tons of superstars in the 1990's.  We had Warren G, we had Snoop Doggy Dogg, we had Tha Dogg Pound, Richie Rich, Too Short, E-40, DJ Quik, Westside Connection, we had Tupac, we had the Luniz, etc.

Look at how DJ Felli Fel reps the West Coast and gets his music played everywhere.  He knows what he is doing.  He sets the stage for music and is a trend setter.  This is who these artists should be blowin up and begging to get on his beats.  But instead, the West Coast is backwards except for the handful of artists that I have listed like Roscoe, Eastwood, The Game, and Ya Boy.  Ya Boy wants to work with Dr. Dre because he knows he can get ahead.  He has worked with K-Fed because he knows he has a lot of networking connections to big executives in Hollywood/L.A.  Tha Realest works with the Maloof Brothers because they own the Palms in Las Vegas, Sacramento Kings, and have tons of licenses and investments.  That's why he rolls with Bibby and Kim Kardashian.  Eastwood is the most versatile west coast artist and he works with all the main cats in the industry and he doesn't bring that beef bullshit and wants to get ahead with his skills and do big things for the West.  Roscoe works with the main cats and knows how to reach out to the mainstream with songs like "Buccle Up," "This Is How We Do It," "Smooth Sailing," "Last Night," "So Sexy," the song he did with Detail, etc.

The West needs to start putting their face in the game again.  Felli Fel knows how to make good music.  Look at "The Finer Things."  Look at some of his work like "It Don't Stop" with Keith Sweat he produced for Baby Bash, and "A Piece Of Me," one of the best Luniz tracks of all time.  This is the type of music that the West NEEDS.  He understands rap music and what it means to the West.  Diddy said that Felli Fel is one of the top cats on the West and he enjoys working with him.  Why not have other artists branching out like this? If Felli Fel can tell us about the Finer Things and how to get Bucc, then why can't some of these no-name cats?  Why does The Game have to do it all on his own?  I don't see any other artists doing big things besides those 4 I named that are young and look how Game records those hit records with Ne-Yo.  I love that hit "Wouldn't Get Far" with Kanye.  We could have more artists doing music like this.  But just not these no-names that think it's still 1994 and are dissing each other.  Sorry, but MTV paid attention to the West diss records in the 1990's, but they don't care anymore when a no-name disses another no-name that don't have no hit records on the West in 2008.  I give Eastwood his props for getting a record deal and Roscoe for signing up to work with the #1 musical legend in the game, Akon.

I give E-40, Snoop, and Too Short their props for setting the example to record club music and with the top artists and that's why these cats are the life of the party.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:43:30 PM by love33 »

ktothac

• 'G'
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 11:53:18 PM »
i agree with the majority of this, theres a lotta uninteresting dudes rappin

XL Middleton

• Crown City Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2008, 05:04:26 PM »
man at least i made it to #2 on the list right under bishop i call that a good look!!! lol...shiiiit everyone is entitled 2 their opinions but i dont exactly see the comparison between myself and eiht. if anything u listening too hard to the beats and not enough to the lyrics cuz im a hip hop artist who spits over west coast beats (and even then, not all the time, i just somehow built a reputation for that) tell me how often has that been done??? as far as the dissing goes, who have i dissed? i have my general criticisms and im entitled to have those, but the fact that i dont run around naming names and calling ppl out should tell u that i dont say things just to get attention. but a, if i'm a "role player" then so be it, everyone has a role to play in terms of this music scene, i never said i wanted to lead the movement, i just have my little portion that i wanna contribute and beyond that im cool...
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
YOUTUBE.COM/XLMIDDLETONMUSIC
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON

love33

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 11:29:32 AM »
man at least i made it to #2 on the list right under bishop i call that a good look!!! lol...shiiiit everyone is entitled 2 their opinions but i dont exactly see the comparison between myself and eiht. if anything u listening too hard to the beats and not enough to the lyrics cuz im a hip hop artist who spits over west coast beats (and even then, not all the time, i just somehow built a reputation for that) tell me how often has that been done??? as far as the dissing goes, who have i dissed? i have my general criticisms and im entitled to have those, but the fact that i dont run around naming names and calling ppl out should tell u that i dont say things just to get attention. but a, if i'm a "role player" then so be it, everyone has a role to play in terms of this music scene, i never said i wanted to lead the movement, i just have my little portion that i wanna contribute and beyond that im cool...

"We Don't Fuck Wit U" sounds like you and Boss dissing a grip of cats on that cut.  Boss callin some cats "fags" and "homos" and "You the funny type never did nothing, so you frontin, I don't just walk the walk, I run it..."   "So I rap, hustle a little, and I'm a pimp like Money Mike..."
On your verse, "I know you thought that you had it...Gotta problem then handle it...Why you mad?...Gotta get rid of them before they leave the westside ruined...I'ma put a stop to it."

And goin at someone on "I Don't Like You" track:
"Some of you rappers be sniffin cocaine...I got the most cold aim...I thought you nerds was smart...get murdered or shot...Come and fuck with me after you release the album...and it's a 1000 of you so-so rappers actin' like you got the top 5 status..."  "Don't think you slick dumby...Fuck a rap, you like Black Eye Peas, you need the white girl to get money"  "I don't like you, I don't like you"  The whole song is pretty much dissing a cat.  Boss's verse is callin a cat out too: "Who is you foolin jack? It's fuckin up the game...success is determined by who stack hardest, not a website promotin' fakeass rap artists..."  On the closure of the song, "You thought that shit was about YOU? Yeah it was about you! Go ahead and get your little mediocre diss records ready"...the whole song is pretty much thowin jabs...

I just think it's childish for all these subliminal dissing back and forth of artists that have not even established themselves and people then associate the artist with a cat who just throws out disses and negative energy.  I like an artist who bring real creativity and energy to the table and try to get better and come up to put the west in the limelight on the big stage.  I think we need more of working together with the best producers and artists that want to progress forward with less of the beef that nobody pays any attention to and creates drama.

I like that "Gettin Breezy" track you did with the laid back hook, I still bump that in my rotation, it' s got that Southern California feel to it.  And I think that "Major" track that you did was a banger.  But I would like to see more club jams like maybe put it down with E-40 and Roscoe, Felli Fel, Eastwood, Baby Bash, Too Short, Snoop, Kanye, T-Pain, or Akon.  How about maybe using Keith Sweat on a hook or Bobby Valentino?  I think that versatility is the difference between an average artist and a superstar.  I'd like to see you work with DJ Felli Fel, Swizz Beatz, Mannie Fresh, and Cool and Dre.

~Lucien~

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 12:46:22 PM »
Lol @ the thread starter. You have an IQ of a basketball

Playano

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 01:31:17 PM »
Hmm the west got alot but like other people say.. No Support!..

XL Middleton

• Crown City Entertainment
  • Muthafuckin' OG
  • www.xlmiddleton.com
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »

"We Don't Fuck Wit U" sounds like you and Boss dissing a grip of cats on that cut.  Boss callin some cats "fags" and "homos" and "You the funny type never did nothing, so you frontin, I don't just walk the walk, I run it..."   "So I rap, hustle a little, and I'm a pimp like Money Mike..."
On your verse, "I know you thought that you had it...Gotta problem then handle it...Why you mad?...Gotta get rid of them before they leave the westside ruined...I'ma put a stop to it."

"Some of you rappers be sniffin cocaine...I got the most cold aim...I thought you nerds was smart...get murdered or shot...Come and fuck with me after you release the album...and it's a 1000 of you so-so rappers actin' like you got the top 5 status..."  "Don't think you slick dumby...Fuck a rap, you like Black Eye Peas, you need the white girl to get money"  "I don't like you, I don't like you"  The whole song is pretty much dissing a cat.  Boss's verse is callin a cat out too: "Who is you foolin jack? It's fuckin up the game...success is determined by who stack hardest, not a website promotin' fakeass rap artists..."  On the closure of the song, "You thought that shit was about YOU? Yeah it was about you! Go ahead and get your little mediocre diss records ready"...the whole song is pretty much thowin jabs...

I just think it's childish for all these subliminal dissing back and forth of artists that have not even established themselves and people then associate the artist with a cat who just throws out disses and negative energy.  I like an artist who bring real creativity and energy to the table and try to get better and come up to put the west in the limelight on the big stage.  I think we need more of working together with the best producers and artists that want to progress forward with less of the beef that nobody pays any attention to and creates drama.

I like that "Gettin Breezy" track you did with the laid back hook, I still bump that in my rotation, it' s got that Southern California feel to it.  And I think that "Major" track that you did was a banger.  But I would like to see more club jams like maybe put it down with E-40 and Roscoe, Felli Fel, Eastwood, Baby Bash, Too Short, Snoop, Kanye, T-Pain, or Akon.  How about maybe using Keith Sweat on a hook or Bobby Valentino?  I think that versatility is the difference between an average artist and a superstar.  I'd like to see you work with DJ Felli Fel, Swizz Beatz, Mannie Fresh, and Cool and Dre.

ok well i gotta say i respect u for the fact that u really listened to the lyrics...and hearing your reaction to it makes me think i didnt really get my point across correctly, at least on the "i don't like you" track...cuz the thing is while i was voicing some of my opinions, i was also making fun of rappers who diss other rappers just to get attention, that's why i ended it out with "get your mediocre diss records ready" since it always seems like there's someone going at someone for whatever reason they can come up with...what i wanna know is, why isn't it ok for us to voice our opinions? i mean, if anything the reason me and Boss made that song was the same reason you made this thread, right???
XLMIDDLETON.COM
TWITTER.COM/XLMIDDLETON
FACEBOOK.COM/XLMIDDLETON
YOUTUBE.COM/XLMIDDLETONMUSIC
MYSPACE.COM/XLMIDDLETON

love33

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2008, 11:19:43 PM »

ok well i gotta say i respect u for the fact that u really listened to the lyrics...and hearing your reaction to it makes me think i didnt really get my point across correctly, at least on the "i don't like you" track...cuz the thing is while i was voicing some of my opinions, i was also making fun of rappers who diss other rappers just to get attention, that's why i ended it out with "get your mediocre diss records ready" since it always seems like there's someone going at someone for whatever reason they can come up with...what i wanna know is, why isn't it ok for us to voice our opinions? i mean, if anything the reason me and Boss made that song was the same reason you made this thread, right???

The West Coast needs to move forward and drop all the groupie beefs.  Beefs with unestablished rappers just hurt the coast, cause artists not to work together, and create drama on the streets.  We have too many nonsense beefs -- expressing your opinion is one thing, but logic and respect is another.  Many of the artists that I have on that list lack professionalism and they start drama before they've even dropped a mainstream hit record.  Then the artist is simply known as a "hater" or someone who just disses for attention.  These artist would rather diss someone on a mix tape then try to get out there and grind out hits with the major faces.

At the end of the day, everyone has the right to their opinion.  But when you have an entire coast with no unity, the fans and the artists lose at the end of the day.  Look at some of the beefs we have out here: I could name many but lets look at Crooked I and Snoop beef for example -- This has been going on since 2000 when Crook signed with Death Row and Crook and Snoop exchanged disses back and forth.  We're in 2008 and many artists on the West Coast won't get near Crooked I because they are afraid Snoop will cut ties with them completely.  Therefore, these rappers on the West are taking sides and thinking that their careers are going to be damaged if they work with a certain artist.  You should never have to worry about losing networking ability in the industry because you work with a certain artist.  And we're talking about artists who aren't even established like Crooked I, Bishop Lamont, etc.

We lose in the end because we never get to hear a new Crooked I and Snoop track and several artists have erased Crook's name out of the phone because they afraid Snoop will cut them off.  In reality, Snoop is solid but he is not bringing any new artists up.  And then you have mindless artists going at the #1 rapper for sales right now in The Game.  The South doesn't alienate their artists if friction is to occur like the West Coast does.  Newer artists don't get networked into the bigtime producers such as Snoop has the ability to introduce a lot of young artists to bigtime producers like Pharrel, Scott Storch, Lil Jon, Mannie Fresh, Swizz Beatz, Akon, Kanye West, etc.  I have another thread about Felli Fel being our only super producer and all everyone says is he doesn't do anything for the West but if you check his resume he has produced records for West Coast artists it's just nobody is taking advantage of the resources and hollering at him.

Now that Crooked I / Snoop beef example is just one of many examples I could give.  Just look at "All Eyez On Me" -- partially what made that album so great besides Pac being at his prime was the fact that damn near every artist on the West was on there and working together!  We're talking E-40, The Outlawz, Rappin 4 Ray, Richie Rich, Snoop Dogg, Tha Dogg Pound, DJ Quik, Danny Boy, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg, etc.  We had our own producers in the 90's like Daz Dillinger, Johnny J, LT Hutton, Blackqtoven, DJ Quik, Dr. Dre, QD III, DJ Pooh, Warren G, Soopafly, and more.  We can't have an album like that no more because everyone is worried about dissing everyone.  Dre can't even put together a lineup with having drama on the West.  There's no forgiveness on the Westcoast -- just fakeness, bitterness, and groupies that carry other artists bags thinking it's going to make them a hit record.  That's why I like the Eastwood's and Roscoe's that are up and coming -- these are real rappers that are about their business in putting out hit records, working with the entire coast, and trying to smash out records.  How many groupies have Snoop went through and not one of them has blown?  If T.I. and Ludacris, who are two established names can put their differences behind them, then so should these West cats who never accomplished anything on a mainstream platform.

Rickdeeznutz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:50 PM »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2008, 07:19:45 PM »
This comes from the same guy that said Raw Footage should look like this:

This would be my tracklist if I was the executive producer and it would have platinum written all over it:

Ice Cube -- "My Footage"

01 - I Love L.A. (ft. Keisha Cole) * keisha would lead it off and cube would deliver the verses for a westcoast classic you can ride to
02 - Cube's Pain (ft. T-Pain) * This would be a darker track about growing up and struggling with T-Pain on the hook and have a piano in the beat
03 - Do Ya Thang
04 - LA Nites (ft. T-Pain) * This would be the signature T-Pain party track
05 - Why Me? (ft. Babyface) * Replace Musiqsoulchild with Babyface
06 - Les Deux and Area (ft. Nas & Jagged Edge) * party track with nas and cube flossing and JE on the hook
07 - V.I.P. (ft. Rick Ross & R. Kelly) * party track talking about what happens when ross and cube roll up to the club with kel's on the hook
08 - Get Money, Spend Money, No Money
09 - Get Used To It (ft. The Game & WC) * banger
10 - We Rich (ft. Snoop Dogg & Fat Joe) * party track with cube and fat joe going back and forth and snoop dogg on the hook
11 - Boss Major (ft. DJ Khaled & Rick Ross) * cube talking about coming up and his movie career and ross talking about coming up with khaled on the beat
12 - I Got My Locs On (ft. Young Jeezy)
13 - Get My Drink On (ft. Tha Dogg Pound)  * add a Cube verse to the track and chalk it up for the classics
14 - Friday Night Lights (ft. Kanye West) * cube and kanye talking about all the girls that want to sleep with them for the lifestyle and the money
15 - Get Busy Girrrl (ft. Nelly & Akon) * party track with nelly getting the girls to move while cube tells them to shake their ass and akon brings the smooth hook
16 - Take Me Away (ft. Lil Wayne & Bobby Valentino) * depressing track with lil wayne spitting a deep verse and valentino on a depressing hook
17 - Thank God (ft. Kanye West & Usher) - throw kanye and usher on telling stories of prayer and give thanks to the man upstairs

penenstamp

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2008, 09:34:29 PM »

This would be my tracklist if I was the executive producer and it would have platinum written all over it:

Ice Cube -- "My Footage"

01 - I Love L.A. (ft. Keisha Cole) * keisha would lead it off and cube would deliver the verses for a westcoast classic you can ride to
02 - Cube's Pain (ft. T-Pain) * This would be a darker track about growing up and struggling with T-Pain on the hook and have a piano in the beat
03 - Do Ya Thang
06 - Les Deux and Area (ft. Nas & Jagged Edge) * party track with nas and cube flossing and JE on the hook
07 - V.I.P. (ft. Rick Ross & R. Kelly) * party track talking about what happens when ross and cube roll up to the club with kel's on the hook
10 - We Rich (ft. Snoop Dogg & Fat Joe) * party track with cube and fat joe going back and forth and snoop dogg on the hook
11 - Boss Major (ft. DJ Khaled & Rick Ross) * cube talking about coming up and his movie career and ross talking about coming up with khaled on the beat
13 - Get My Drink On (ft. Tha Dogg Pound)  * add a Cube verse to the track and chalk it up for the classics
14 - Friday Night Lights (ft. Kanye West) * cube and kanye talking about all the girls that want to sleep with them for the lifestyle and the money
15 - Get Busy Girrrl (ft. Nelly & Akon) * party track with nelly getting the girls to move while cube tells them to shake their ass and akon brings the smooth hook
16 - Take Me Away (ft. Lil Wayne & Bobby Valentino) * depressing track with lil wayne spitting a deep verse and valentino on a depressing hook
17 - Thank God (ft. Kanye West & Usher) - throw kanye and usher on telling stories of prayer and give thanks to the man upstairs

That would be your everyday album that's currently hitting the charts.

akcranker - The Dangerous Crew Movement

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 12:06:29 AM »

Ice Cube -- "My Footage"

03 - Do Ya Thang

That would be your everyday album that's currently hitting the charts.

And at shit one at that... no one wants to hear Cube with all those dudes.

Sickaluffa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • my bitch drives what u drive and she got new tits
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 12:17:10 AM »
the west needs more quality?

more like, the west coast section needs more quality.

+1

love33

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 10:34:00 AM »
And at shit one at that... no one wants to hear Cube with all those dudes.

That's why The Game runs the Westcoast and Ice Cube is now irrelavant.  Nobody listens to his music outside of a few from L.A. because he isn't making 2008 music.  He has the full capability to do it.  But he needs to take some notes from E-40, Snoop, Too Short, Baby Bash, and update his sound.

The Game is collabing with Ne-Yo and he's all over the airwaves making these bomb tracks.  Ice Cube's last big hit was when he collabed with Lil Jon ("Roll Call").  I don't understand why he is moving his career backwards.