Author Topic: Blog: The Positive Effect Music Downloading Has Had On The Music Industry....  (Read 1244 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
well it's simple.

when somebody downloads an album,
this doesn't automatically mean that a digital or physical purchase was lost.
don't listen to the major labels

How about charging a extra 1000$ yearly to everyone with a internet connection?
That should cover some of the loss the music and movie industry suffer.

nah man, that's not fair.

why not?

well like i said, one download is not equal to a loss of an album purchase.
you can say that downloading is 'stealing' though.

besides, it's not fair to make every internet user responsible for the projected loss.

it wouldn't solve the problem anyway.

I would argue that it would solve part of the problem.
Then everything could be out in the open.
I might be wrong though  :P ;)

it could make downloading a lot less attractive.
but it only compensates the labels; it wouldn't necessarily lead to an increase of album sales.

so again, it's not a solution for why people download in the first place.

off course the album sales wont increase,but I'm sure there's a way to figure out number off downloads.
So they can divide the money to the artists. Same with movies and TV Shows.

But you got me confused with;

it's not a solution for why people download in the first place.

ehhh? why do people download?  :P :P :laugh:

let me formulate it differently; the fee is meant to counter downloading.

it's like punishing a kid for skipping school, without paying any attention why the kid skipped school in the first place.

There's a lot of reasons why kids skip school....  :P
and probably just as many reasons why people download illegally.  :P
So I ask you again why do people download? (since it ain't a solution)  :P

sure, i just brought up the example to get my point across  ;) so don't focus too much on the example itself  ;)

by the way, i wasn't dodging your question; i guess i just misinterpreted it  ;)
i thought you didn't actually want me to give reasons for why people download.
i thought you had a different meaning with that question  ;)

anyway, yeah there are several reasons why people download, such as: there are a lot of sources for downloading music so it's an easy way to obtain music+ it's free so you save a lot of money

penenstamp

Damn Lunatic... you let these 2 nitwits take over your thread?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Damn Lunatic... you let these 2 nitwits take over your thread?

yeah what are you going to do about it, start a petition ;D

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
well it's simple.

why not?

besides, it's not fair to make every internet user responsible for the projected loss.

but it only compensates the labels; it wouldn't necessarily lead to an increase of album sales.

off course the album sales wont increase,but I'm sure there's a way to figure out number off downloads.

it's like punishing a kid for skipping school, without paying any attention why the kid skipped school in the first place.

sure, i just brought up the example to get my point across  ;) so don't focus too much on the example itself  ;)

by the way, i wasn't dodging your question; i guess i just misinterpreted it  ;)

anyway, yeah there are several reasons why people download, such as:
there are a lot of sources for downloading music so it's an easy way to obtain music
+ it's free so you save a lot of money

those reasons is obvious  :P....
who is going to pay for it?
-the record company
-the artists themself
-consumers
-sponsors
?

you mean literally? for the so called "loss"?

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Positive effect that has been brought is obviously exposure to artists that noone would normally fuck with cuz they hadnt heard of them and wouldnt want to risk their own money by buying a cd that could potentially contain crap!

However at the same time people giving away freebees and mixtaping it up alot more has seen that alot of crap is whats left to be put on albums and also alot less care is being put in by artists and labels cuz the artist thinks 'why should I try to make a classic if people arent gunna buy it/just gunna d/l it?" and labels think that they are losing all this money by d/l instead of focusing on the newly exposed artists... there needs to be a smart solution that I cant even think of right now (if I could I would become a fucken rich man haha!) Becoming an independent artist seems to be a solution for many right now cuz they get a better cut but the sales dont seem to add up fanwise as far as I have seen...

I seem to have brought up more problems than solutions :P :P but this is an outlet so im also curious to see some peoples solutions to all these problems,

PEACE 8)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I download because I'm sick of paying for a subpar product. I spend my money on artists I support. CDs can't be returned after they are opened, so I make sure the music is worth my time, just as I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
well it's simple.

why not?

there are a lot of sources for downloading music so it's an easy way to obtain music

-the record company
-the artists themself
-consumers
-sponsors
?

yeah..... so called?

ok  ;)
yeah i said so called, as i think the claims by the labels that they've lost a certain amount of money, is not equal to the actual loss (as i stated before)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I download because I'm sick of paying for a subpar product. I spend my money on artists I support. CDs can't be returned after they are opened, so I make sure the music is worth my time, just as I wouldn't buy a car without a test drive.

what if you got a sampler with 30-60 sec of each track to listen to first?

Sometimes it takes a day or two in different environments to make my final decision. Occasionally it takes a little bit for an album to grow on me.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
well it's simple.

why not?

-the record company
-the artists themself
-consumers
-sponsors
?

yeah..... so called?

ok  ;)
yeah i said so called, as i think the claims by the labels that they've lost a certain amount of money, is not equal to the actual loss (as i stated before)

it could be that the numbers ain´t right.....  ;)
but whatever the numbers are,this is a problem.  ;)
So you´re just going around the problem  :laugh:
So come up with something better  :P ;)

i wasn't dodging on purpose, i was just checking whether i understood you correctly  :laugh:  ;)
besides, how can i come up with something better , while i haven't even provided a possible solution yet  :D ;D ;)

i may do so later though  ;)

LOWKEYLOCO

at the rate things are going artist are forced to look on the bright side of the downloading issue because its no way to actually combat it

Elano

We’ll see. In order to make me come out and deal with this bulls**t, ya know, it’s going to cost. It ain’t no avenue to get paid f**king with this s**t because you can get it for free, ya see? Why do you do it, for free? You get f**ked twice making music these days. The record company f**k you the first time, and then the people that listen to your shit f**k you the second time dude.  There’s no way for the artist to get paid unless you can afford to sell eight million records [chuckle].

AllHipHop.com: What about shows; show money?

I mean, f**k show money. F**k the show money. You need fa sho money. You need mechanicals, you need to make as much money as these god damn corporate offices is making. It’s your talent. You wrote that s**t. F**k them god damn concerts n***a, give me my motherf**king money. All them god damn records, you sold them god damn records, you need to, “Here.”
You making songs now and they just popping up on the Internet. N****s is downloading your s**t for nothing and the light bill is due. F**k. That’s why I say I’m gone. I gotta find something else to do. It’s not feasible to stick around. It ain’t no money in it. It’s like selling rocks and motherf**kers ain’t smoking no more. Everybody selling. All the dope fiends got clean and they selling rocks to nobody.

(scarface)

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
We’ll see. In order to make me come out and deal with this bulls**t, ya know, it’s going to cost. It ain’t no avenue to get paid f**king with this s**t because you can get it for free, ya see? Why do you do it, for free? You get f**ked twice making music these days. The record company f**k you the first time, and then the people that listen to your shit f**k you the second time dude.  There’s no way for the artist to get paid unless you can afford to sell eight million records [chuckle].

AllHipHop.com: What about shows; show money?

I mean, f**k show money. F**k the show money. You need fa sho money. You need mechanicals, you need to make as much money as these god damn corporate offices is making. It’s your talent. You wrote that s**t. F**k them god damn concerts n***a, give me my motherf**king money. All them god damn records, you sold them god damn records, you need to, “Here.”
You making songs now and they just popping up on the Internet. N****s is downloading your s**t for nothing and the light bill is due. F**k. That’s why I say I’m gone. I gotta find something else to do. It’s not feasible to stick around. It ain’t no money in it. It’s like selling rocks and motherf**kers ain’t smoking no more. Everybody selling. All the dope fiends got clean and they selling rocks to nobody.

(scarface)

With all due respect to Scarface, he needs to get with the program. These are the days of old anymore. Artists can't just release a record and expect to sell a million copies in the first month. Everyone is a damn rapper these days, so it has to be the hustle that seperate those who will make it and those who won't. Scarface gets fat ass royalty checks every month for radio spins of 20 year old songs and he talks like he's starving. If he wants to stay musically relevant and get more money, he'll do like every other rapper and perform shows. Fans who go to shows pay $20+ and they tend to buy merchandise like shirts. A small 3000 person venue would make for a pretty good takeaway minus club fees and liquor license.

Elano

Scarface gets fat ass royalty checks every month for radio spins of 20 year old songs

are you sure ?
scarface is not so commercial....

Low Key

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Scarface gets fat ass royalty checks every month for radio spins of 20 year old songs

are you sure ?
scarface is not so commercial....

Says who? Scarface might not get consistant play on Cali radio, but I'd be willing to bet you a hefty amount that he is played constantly in the south. And he has made plenty of mainstream/crossover hits in his career to keep him paid. If the Luniz are still getting big paychecks from "I Got 5 On It", then Scarface is probably doing just fine.

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
it had a positive effect...it shows people don't wanna hear wack music.
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]