Author Topic: I've always wondered why Kobe doesn't shoot a better FG percentage?  (Read 541 times)

teecee

Makes no sense really.  He has the outside shot, post-up game, drives ,etc, but never has shot even 47 percent for a season.  I think I remember once NIK arguing that it was because he shoots so many three's, or because he shoots at the end of the shot clock a lot.   Well, Lebron and D-Wade are both shooting MORE three's with a lower percentage from downtown, and yet are both nearing 50 percent success rate while Kobe is still around 46 percent.     You'd think, with the team he has now, that Kobe would be around 50 percent as he doesn't usually have to force anything...... 

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: I've always wondered why Kobe doesn't shoot a better FG percentage?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:14 AM »
its a good thought, but it will get ignored on a board like this, where Kobe is a godly figure.

*by the end of this thread there will be a statement like "Kobe>>>LeBron"* :D

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »
bc he's a ball hog?
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 11:25:50 AM »
Wade and Lebron attack the basket more; Kobe plays on the perimeter. Honestly you have to respect Wade for taking the higher percentage shots (too bad in turn him and Lebron have decided to not even attempt to develop a 3ball).
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

teecee

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:26:10 AM »
^^^^^^^^^  Well, he is not exactly hogging the ball this year; actually, he is being very unselfish. And even "ball-hogs" like Jordan shot GREAT percentages despite forcing shots at times.

*by the end of this thread there will be a statement like "Kobe>>>LeBron"*    or Kobe>MJ

but when it comes to FGpercentage, Kobe is WAY behind the greats like Jordan, and current comparable players

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »
mj > kobe

that'll forever be the same
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

teecee

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2008, 11:29:08 AM »
WOuldn't Kobe be more efficient driving more then?  Or posting up half the game like MJ did for the second half of his career?  

I don't think Lebron will ever be a great 3 pt shooter, but with his size his future will be more in the post, especially when/if he loses some athleticism.  Wade better develop a better outside shot as his body won't be able to stand the punishment.  

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2008, 11:47:02 AM »
WOuldn't Kobe be more efficient driving more then?  Or posting up half the game like MJ did for the second half of his career?  

I don't think Lebron will ever be a great 3 pt shooter, but with his size his future will be more in the post, especially when/if he loses some athleticism.  Wade better develop a better outside shot as his body won't be able to stand the punishment.  

apperently a dominating body & power isnt enough to put you close to such a God of Kobe. ::)

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 11:48:55 AM »
Kobe is 30. You can only play like Wade for a limited number of years. He's in his 13th season, there's no way he can still attack the basket like a young nigga all the time. In the past when he was young enough, he was being a ball hog. Before that, Shaq was the nigga in the paint.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 12:39:25 PM »
Kobe is 30. You can only play like Wade for a limited number of years. He's in his 13th season, there's no way he can still attack the basket like a young nigga all the time. In the past when he was young enough, he was being a ball hog. Before that, Shaq was the nigga in the paint.

and only gettin older

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 12:48:45 PM »
You have to remember, unlike most players nowadays, Kobe has unlimited range...with unlimited range comes more perimeter jumpshots. If Kobe was only able to score in the paint, he'd have a much higher percentage (ala Tony Parker). Does this mean Tony Parker is more efficient at scoring than Kobe? of course not...it just means that Kobe has a more extensive arsenal that gives him the ability of taking shots with a higher degree of difficulty. A lot of Kobe's shots come from three point range OR right inside the threepoint line...does that not make sense?

teecee

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 01:01:04 PM »
All I am saying is that both D-Wade and Kobe actually take more three's than Kobe.  I too think that Kobe's scoring ability is unmatched, but he is not as efficient as he should be, especially now that he has such a good team around him.   

NIK< i know you find NO fault in Kobe, but even you must believe Kobe should hit more than 46 percent of his field goals. He has matured, understands his game and the game in general better now than ever. So it would only make sense that he would be up there with LBJ and Wade........

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 01:04:13 PM »

Kobe is 30 years old man. As exciting as it is watching Wade go flying towards the basket with no regard for his body, that shit is a coaches nightmare. Kobe attacks the basket enough, if I were his coach I wouldn't want him to do it any more at this stage of his career. He has a damn good jumpshot and he needs to keep using it.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

teecee

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 01:10:21 PM »

Kobe is 30 years old man. As exciting as it is watching Wade go flying towards the basket with no regard for his body, that shit is a coaches nightmare. Kobe attacks the basket enough, if I were his coach I wouldn't want him to do it any more at this stage of his career. He has a damn good jumpshot and he needs to keep using it.

I agree, but then why didn't Kobe shoot a higher percentage when he was younger???  I like Kobe's game, and he has a good balance of inside/outside shooting, but it just seems like he should be able to shoot a higher percentage.......l.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2008, 01:24:05 PM »
All I am saying is that both D-Wade and Kobe actually take more three's than Kobe.  I too think that Kobe's scoring ability is unmatched, but he is not as efficient as he should be, especially now that he has such a good team around him.   

NIK< i know you find NO fault in Kobe, but even you must believe Kobe should hit more than 46 percent of his field goals. He has matured, understands his game and the game in general better now than ever. So it would only make sense that he would be up there with LBJ and Wade........

this is the first season that they've shot more threes than Kobe and it hasn't even been 20 games, yet...regardless, Kobe takes a bulk of his shots right inside the three point line. theres no chance in hell that Wade and LeBron shoot more perimeter shots than Kobe overall.