Author Topic: * * * Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Ballon d’Or Award for Top Soccer Player * * *  (Read 383 times)

Elano

The most coveted individual honour in European football, the award recognises Ronaldo’s outstanding performances over the past 12 months.

"I dreamt of this when I was younger," he said. "It's a great day for me and my family."

The Portuguese winger scored 42 goals last season on the way to domestic and European glory with the Reds and was the resounding favourite to win the trophy.

After France Football’s confirmation in the early hours of Tuesday morning, the 23-year-old joins United legends George Best, Denis Law and Bobby Charlton on the award’s honours roll.

Recent winners include Kaka (AC Milan, 2007), Fabio Cannavaro (Juventus/Real Madrid, 2006) and Ronaldinho (Barcelona, 2005).

Ronny become the 42nd different player to pick up the prize, and the third Portuguese after Eusebio’s victory in 1965 and Figo's win in 2000.

"The Ballon d'or has been won by two great Portuguese players and for me to be part of that history is a great feeling."

Lil White Azz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Always stay G`d Up
Congrats  8)

tempo2

yep he deserved it but i still hate the guy

187_gangsta_crip

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Congratulations to the Best Player In The World!!

bez

Didnt Cahill win this the other year?

Lunatic

Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Elano

The best player is lionel messi,a fuckin alien

KURUPTION-81

Viva Ronaldo

2008 Ballon d'Or voting

1 Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester Utd) 446 points
2 Lionel Messi (Barcelona) 281 pts
3 Fernando Torres (Liverpool) 179 pts
4 Iker Casillas (Real Madrid) 133 pts
5 Xavi Hernandez (Barcelona) 97 pts
6 Andriy Arshavin (Zenit St-Petersburg) 64 pts
7 David Villa (Valencia) 55 pts
8 Kaka (AC Milan) 31 pts
9 Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Inter Milan) 30 pts
10 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) 28 pts
11 Marcos Senna (Villarreal) 16 pts
12 Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal) 12 pts
13 Wayne Rooney (Manchester United) 11 pts
14 Sergio Aguero (Atletico Madrid) 10 pts
15 Frank Lampard (Chelsea) 8 pts
16 Franck Ribery (Bayern Munich) 7 pts
17 Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona) 6 pts
18 Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus) 5 pts
19 Michael Ballack (Chelsea), Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) 4 pts
21 Didier Drogba (Chelsea), Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United) 3 pts
24 Edwin van der Sar (Manchester United), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid), 2 pts

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Elano

In an exclusive interview with ManUtd.com and MUTV, Cristiano Ronaldo speaks of his delight at being named the best player in the world and insists there is much more to come...

Congratulations Cristiano. How does it feel to have won the award and become only the fourth United player ever to do so?
It feels amazing. It’s the award I always dreamt of winning when I was a kid and I feel very proud and very happy [to have done that]. I have to say a big thank you to my team-mates and everyone at the club who has helped me win the award – it has such a great history and it is the great players who win it so it’s magnificent to be alongside them. It’s amazing that only three players in the club’s history before me have won it. I didn’t know that until yesterday. So it’s special for the club and obviously for me and I feel very proud to be part of the history of the Ballon d’Or and the history of this club. You work hard to win team awards and personal awards, but, for me, to win this one is very special.

Where does this rank among your many other personal achievements?
Every award has a different history, but this one is one of the best. When I became a professional footballer I always believed I had the chance to win it one day and to do that makes me feel very good. But team awards are very important to me as well. I’m at a great club where I have the opportunity to win team and personal awards and to be remembered as a great player you have to win things with your team, not just individual awards. Collective trophies are the most important.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
The best player is lionel messi,a fuckin alien

yeah Messis's definately better than Ronaldo. Unfortunately, he was injured too long in 2008.
But I don't give a shit, the whole list is crap anyway.