Author Topic: Overrated Rappers  (Read 1258 times)

Jaydc555

Re: Overrated Rappers
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2008, 10:59:06 PM »
That's pretty much spot on d nice...to quote crooked I.."why should I dumb it down for fans that are smarter then me?"

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2008, 11:03:27 PM »
That's pretty much spot on d nice...to quote crooked I.."why should I dumb it down for fans that are smarter then me?"

The thing with most mcs and fans, most people don't like to feel like they are listening to they parents or are in school when they listen to music. So for most mcs that is a risky move to put music out that they may want to put out with substance as opposed to what we hear now on the radio. Jay is a perfect example. Kingdom Come went over peoples heads. American Gangster was back to the shit talking, pimping, slick talk Jay everyone has grown to know. Ice Cube same thing on Raw Footage. Shit is fucked up but hey what can you do. Where Jay may change it up, Cube don't give a fuck for the most part.

Jaydc555

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2008, 11:10:20 PM »
For whatever hate I get on here I thought kingdom come was jays second best album.and it is true that's why you won't see emcees like immortal technique and canibus and chino xl move big units.most fans just want a beat that bumps and something they can rap along to not something they have to think about.great example of this is rass kass.from his first album soul on ice to rasskassination.it was pretty evident the label told him to dumb it down.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2008, 11:15:05 PM »
For whatever hate I get on here I thought kingdom come was jays second best album.and it is true that's why you won't see emcees like immortal technique and canibus and chino xl move big units.most fans just want a beat that bumps and something they can rap along to not something they have to think about.great example of this is rass kass.from his first album soul on ice to rasskassination.it was pretty evident the label told him to dumb it down.

Well I always thought promotion was a big element missing for Ras. Ghetto Fabolous was a no brainer to put out with Dre and Mack but the project was never promoted well. The death of the mc making a significant name in hip hop died with Canibus. He was the last mc with just straight lyrics that had a buzz big enough to do damage once he dropped.

Jaydc555

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
I remember when other emcees were scared to get on a track with canibus.canibus was just unlucky if he came out 5 years before he would have sold major units.But when he came its when hip hop was starting to fall apart into the jiggy era.rip the jacka was an incredible album though.I just hope slaughterhouse comes out and they are able to do something of significance.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2008, 11:25:36 PM »
I remember when other emcees were scared to get on a track with canibus.canibus was just unlucky if he came out 5 years before he would have sold major units.But when he came its when hip hop was starting to fall apart into the jiggy era.rip the jacka was an incredible album though.I just hope slaughterhouse comes out and they are able to do something of significance.

Most definitely

Hey Ma

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2008, 11:27:03 PM »
Rap is overrated.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2008, 11:30:50 PM »
There's two 'games' of Hip Hop out (thats been goin' on for the last 5 years).  Raw/"Real"/Underground/Myspace-etc. Hip Hop and then there's the Commercial/Mainstream/Popcorn/Bubblegum-etc. Hip Hop out (thats been goin on forever).  You need both elements if you plan on survivin' this game (look at The Lox).  if you dont have both of those qualities you're only pop tart rap.  Believe it or not, there's been a less amount of 1-Hit Wonders in the past 10 years (like a Vanilla Ice or MC Hammer), I gaurentee a Soulga Boy or Chris Hamilton album in 10years.  Its only the hatin' azz foegis that make a livin off a internet site promotin' bullshit instead of doin' it tha right way and makin' a name 4 they city.  Its "Talkin E Shit"/ u gotta impersinate a "strong" personality to get the feeling of superiority of one's self=its how they get by.  Hip Hop Never Died.  Overrated Rappers dont exist, Niether do underrated-just stop talkin shit and let everybody shine like the way the puzzle is pieced up.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:40:26 AM by BiggBoogaBiff »

Z the laidback Virus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I'm as laidback as possible without being high
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2008, 04:37:26 AM »
The problem seems to be that no one here uses the same definition of overrated. What I mean is, to some getting on tracks with pop artist makes one overrated. That would mean that skills are dependent on musical allegiance. That, of course, is rubbish. Bottomline is, this thread needs to have a definition of overrated all of us can agree or be forced to agree on. Otherwise, we (and that means you) will all be Humpty Dumpties endeavouring to 'win' a fully subjectural argument by tweaking words to mean what you want so that victory is inevitably yours.
Humpty Dumpty in a nutshell:
"When I say a word," Humpty Dumpty said, "it means exactly what I want it to mean. Nothing more, nothing less."

To add some hopefully helpful input into this thread, instead of just making you all out to be bickering children, I propose this definition of overrated: 'When a person (in this case a rapper) is claimed to be much more capable in his profession by a large group of non-laymen, then said person truly is.'

Can all of you agree on that? It would certainly make this thread a little more productive.

Using this definition, I nominate Ice Cube. A good rapper, but not the microphone god many of his fans claim him to be.
Z knows about ALL your inner conflicts..

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2008, 10:52:12 AM »
The problem seems to be that no one here uses the same definition of overrated. What I mean is, to some getting on tracks with pop artist makes one overrated. That would mean that skills are dependent on musical allegiance. That, of course, is rubbish. Bottomline is, this thread needs to have a definition of overrated all of us can agree or be forced to agree on. Otherwise, we (and that means you) will all be Humpty Dumpties endeavouring to 'win' a fully subjectural argument by tweaking words to mean what you want so that victory is inevitably yours.
"When I say a word," Humpty Dumpty said, "it means exactly what I want it to mean. Nothing more, nothing less."

To add some hopefully helpful input into this thread, instead of just making you all out to be bickering children, I propose this definition of overrated: 'When a person (in this case a rapper) is claimed to be much more capable in his profession by a large group of non-laymen, then said person truly is.'

Can all of you agree on that? It would certainly make this thread a little more productive.

Using this definition, I nominate Ice Cube. A good rapper, but not the microphone god many of his fans claim him to be.

Get outta here... Ice Cube?  Anyways, I'm nominating Talib Kweli.

featuring Indo G
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 10:56:29 AM by BiggBoogaBiff »

Maully aka [Fitted Da Boss]

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Karma is A Bitch...Know That!
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2008, 11:42:33 AM »
And I'm 24 I've listened to hip hop since I was 9.I own over 2000 albums bought in hip hop alone.I can name 100 mcs better then jay easily.who are more diverse have better lyrics and don't rely on hot beats.black thought gives more purpose in one song then jay does in his entire career.so maybe its you that needs to stop listening to beats and listen to lyrics.because if you did you'd know jay is not that great.

Hahahaha wow 100 mcs better than jayz huh? With all them albums you still cant figure hip hop out. Talking to you is like talking to a horses ass it aint gonna get it. And your 24 with a hip hop collection that big i dont think youll ever understand it. You dont have to be a jayz fan to tell the real. Kind of how i say game can rap but fakeness,name dropping,and subject matter drowns his skills out. Even though i dont like him i dont front on his skills. You need to do the same brotha

game is underated fam...u think he's overated cuz u might spend too much time on this board...and thats not a shot...but facts r facts...he gets no awards no accolades nothing yet he still remains as one of the best out right now...the only concert he headlines are powerhouse and its pretty obvious of y...and i think jay is one of the greatest but by u sayin game has a short subject matter...than u might as well say the same thing about jay and a bunch of other rappers...although we know that aint true i can name so many songs where jay-z subject matter varies...i can do the same 4 game...and in no way shape or form am i comparing the two... miss me wit that he fake stuff...cuz u and whoever u get ya theories on how game lived and lives his life don't and never did personally know em besides that has nothing 2 do with his skills as an mc...and game name drops aight cool...but i bet u the type that thinks artists like ludacris, royce etc are some of the best rappers out when they name drop more than game do...so r u sure your not frontin on his skills...cuz i can bet your whole opinion is contradictory...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:45:28 AM by Maully aka [Fitted Da Boss] »

Ya Boy Is Off The Wall, These Other Niggas Is Titoooo!

Webby05

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:19 AM »

You said everything right up until nominating Ice Cube  :nawty:

Jaydc555

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
This is obviously a very touchy subject matter and I can see a lot of people are getting their feelings hurt.Its all just opinions like I said no right and wrong.I simply wanted to know who thinks who is overrated.I don't want to have one person say who and then ten people just up to argue which is what happened when I wrote my list.Why don't all of you people argueing just post your list and your reasons and stop Dick riding artists so much.You just don't want to do your list because your afraid someone will disagree or something.But who cares its just an opinion.I mean some people think it was written was better then illmatic.instead of going your an idiot you don't know hip hop just listen to the persons reasons for thinking that way.

Maully aka [Fitted Da Boss]

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • Karma is A Bitch...Know That!
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 12:10:09 PM »
This is obviously a very touchy subject matter and I can see a lot of people are getting their feelings hurt.Its all just opinions like I said no right and wrong.I simply wanted to know who thinks who is overrated.I don't want to have one person say who and then ten people just up to argue which is what happened when I wrote my list.Why don't all of you people argueing just post your list and your reasons and stop Dick riding artists so much.You just don't want to do your list because your afraid someone will disagree or something.But who cares its just an opinion.I mean some people think it was written was better then illmatic.instead of going your an idiot you don't know hip hop just listen to the persons reasons for thinking that way.

so jus cuz its somebody's opinion...jus say ok and keep it movin...?  ::) yea its ya opinion...but we don't have 2 agree wit it and we can say y we don't...jus like u can say if someones overated...if u got a ridiculous opinion then be prepared 2 get attacked...shit happens...especially when u say shit like...jay-z is overated...or kingdom come is his best 2nd album...that gives people the impression that you have no clue what u r talkin about and i bet you only have 2 jay-z albums if u have any...now if u said jay is not the greatest thats cool...cuz not everyone thinks that...but 2 say he's overated or...there's 100 mc's better...is outrageous...opinion or not aint no way in hell u know 100 mc's better...u feel me? so all that its my opinion is jus an excuse so nobody will say anything negative about ya opinion...

----------------
Now playing: Ludacris - Call Up The Homies (Co-Starring The Game and Willy Northpole)
via FoxyTunes

Ya Boy Is Off The Wall, These Other Niggas Is Titoooo!

Jaydc555

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 12:16:39 PM »
Well that's fine and I actually own every jay album.but I'm saying I don't want you to argue with my opinion because its pointless its just how I feel.and my feeling of jay being overrated is that he's viewed as one of the greats which I don't think he is.I just want to know who people think is overated.I don't want argueing over someonese opinion.that's not the point of this thread.I'm not saying agree with anyone.I just like to hear peoples opinions.if you don't agree that's fine just keep it to yourself and compile your own list.I personnaly think 2PAC is the greatest rapper of all time.but some people don't even like him.I'm not going to waste my time argueing about it because that's how they feel.so for the last time stop argueing and just post your lists.its like talking to a brick wall in here.