Author Topic: Your top 5 movies  (Read 1170 times)

Jaydc555

Re: Your top 5 movies
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 10:42:51 AM »
Ah yes the gay mafia.or the rainbow mafia rather.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 10:45:35 AM »
Ah yes the gay mafia.or the rainbow mafia rather.

LOL!!  Ay, the Godfather would be a much funnier movie...
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Jaydc555

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 10:47:07 AM »
I do hear what your saying and agree some people just pick certain movies to just go with the norm,not saying everybody does though as those are great movies.its the same way every single critics list has citizen kane as the number one movie of all time.have you watched it?so fucking boring.same with 2001 space oddysey,nothing puts me to sleep Better then a kubrick film

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 12:15:59 PM »
You're wondering the wrong thing.  You have to wonder why people like the Godfather and other italian mafia movies?  Is it because they are "hard" or is it because they're actually amazing movies that are layered with psychological themes?

If the Godfather had the exact same plot, storyline, etc....but all the characters were gay....you think anyone on here would list as one of their top 5? lol

That's my point.  I would still like it because of how layered the movie is, not because of how "gangster" it is. 

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 12:17:47 PM »
I do hear what your saying and agree some people just pick certain movies to just go with the norm,not saying everybody does though as those are great movies.its the same way every single critics list has citizen kane as the number one movie of all time.have you watched it?so fucking boring.same with 2001 space oddysey,nothing puts me to sleep Better then a kubrick film

Citizen Kane isn't boring, but I wouldn't put it in my favorite 10.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »

2001 is hailed for it's visual style. Not so much for it's other aspects.

Citizen Kane on the other hand is a masterful work of art so far ahead of any film of its time it's ridiculous. It was true art that was too good for the art establishment of the day to recognize. Godfather was a solid film but it didn't confuse people in the film world to the point where they needed time to really get it. The art that isn't quite understood until years later is the best kind because it is visionary art.

To really understand what made CK so great you'd have to watch the other seven films nominated that year in 1941, and then watch the winner that year "How Green Was My Valley". Then go and watch the next 10 or 11 Best Pictures and see slowly how the influence of Citizen Kane emerges into Hollywood's acceptance on what makes a film great. A lot of the current great directors owe a lot to Citizen Kane.

It's hard to notice the power of film like that because so much of what made it so amazing has become the norm in great films and we've been spoiled by them. It's like a heavy metal fan listening to Link Wray's "Rumble". The average kid who likes metal will call it soft and boring but the best most influential metal guitarists understand what made it so amazing. To us it makes no sense that an instrumental guitar track would be banned from any radio station because it was too dark and vulgar. But back then compared to what was out it sounded like the Devil himself talking through a guitar and the people in the established music scene couldn't understand it. It scared them. But Jimi Hendrix understood it. Tony Iommi understood. And you saw how the hard riff of Link had to slowky go through the softer stages of The Who, and The Kinks, before it became even harder with Hendrix and Sabbath.

Jaydc555

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 01:47:15 PM »
I actually agree with everything you said shallow.Using a poor metaphor its like a kid watching the exorcist now after watching all the current horror films.you had to have been alive to truely appreciate it.my favorite director is Alfred Hitchcock I still watch his films regurarly.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »
OMG, EXCUSE ME! :stupid:

i forgot to put up The Godfather; what the fuck was i thinking? ???

.....that...
3. Once Upon A Time In America

....is way better  ;) ;) ;) ;) (it is  ;))

Godfather is probably the best movie of all time.

but i love Once Upon A Time In America lol.

you really think so?
I know it's a "bonafied classic" and all,so it's hard to argue....  :P but personally I don't care for it.  ;)
The way "Once Upon A Time In America" plays (story) is just so much better.

it was incredible if you ask me. i think the second one was almost as good too. the whole story with De Nero as Brando as a child was great.

for that little "its just a cool thing"; old movies are just a million times better than new movies.

new movies have no like spectacular plot, they just try to fool us with amazing graphics. there are some great movies made today. but all the great classics are the old westerns & the big ones in the 70's, Godfather, Jaws, Rocky, etc.

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 04:17:24 PM »
You're wondering the wrong thing.  You have to wonder why people like the Godfather and other italian mafia movies?  Is it because they are "hard" or is it because they're actually amazing movies that are layered with psychological themes?

If the Godfather had the exact same plot, storyline, etc....but all the characters were gay....you think anyone on here would list as one of their top 5? lol

That's my point.  I would still like it because of how layered the movie is, not because of how "gangster" it is. 

(no homo) lol
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

acgrundy

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 05:04:50 PM »
I love Goodfellas...one of my favorite movies of all time...but I can't get into The Godfather...tried watching it, but I dunno, just wasn't feeling it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 10:06:56 PM »
I actually agree with everything you said shallow.Using a poor metaphor its like a kid watching the exorcist now after watching all the current horror films.you had to have been alive to truely appreciate it.my favorite director is Alfred Hitchcock I still watch his films regurarly.

I actually think the Exorcist stands up pretty good on its own. It doesn't look as grainy as most of the films of the early 70s. But yeah it wasn't jump out of your seat and vomit scary or disturbing like it would have been for me many back then. Show the average high school girl of today the Exorcist and they may agree it's scary and even feel it a bit. But a 15 year old girl in the 70s watches that I don't even want to be in the room.

Hitchcock is a perfect example of someone who people back then didn't "get" like they "got" him years later.

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
fight club is by far my favorite movie. im quite pissed when watching movies these days. they always suck. series like prison break are much better than movies these days. fuck movies. fight club all day any day.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Matty

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2009, 02:43:42 PM »
i would say citizen kane probably derserve its title of the greatest movie ever made, even though it certainly wouldn't top my personal list. when it came out it was so far ahead of anything that had been done in cinema conceptually and technically it was crazy (although it does owe a lot to particular european and japanese films). if something came out today that was as far ahead of its time as citizen kane was, it would blow everyones heads off. i would say that a defining moment like citizen kane won't be happening again until they movie into holographic film and someone really exploits some new technology.

but as we're not in the business of being film historians here i would lean toward contemporary works by the likes of takeshi kitano who i am a great fan of and also john carpenter, who has made many underappreciated films that are as thematically rich and perceptive as those from the greatest auteur direcors while at the same time being masterclasses in storytelling and pacing. highly entertaining 8)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 04:43:39 PM »
i would say citizen kane probably derserve its title of the greatest movie ever made, even though it certainly wouldn't top my personal list. when it came out it was so far ahead of anything that had been done in cinema conceptually and technically it was crazy (although it does owe a lot to particular european and japanese films). if something came out today that was as far ahead of its time as citizen kane was, it would blow everyones heads off. i would say that a defining moment like citizen kane won't be happening again until they movie into holographic film and someone really exploits some new technology.

but as we're not in the business of being film historians here i would lean toward contemporary works by the likes of takeshi kitano who i am a great fan of and also john carpenter, who has made many underappreciated films that are as thematically rich and perceptive as those from the greatest auteur direcors while at the same time being masterclasses in storytelling and pacing. highly entertaining 8)

I didn't realize the European and Japanese industries were that far along in the 30s and early 40s.

Matty

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2009, 05:05:09 PM »
nah i mean conceptually e.g. renoir playing around with deep focus techniques before welles and kane. having said that i thought 'la règle du jeu' (1939) was a pile of rubbish when i eventually saw it. i will have to dig up some of my old uni work cause we had to do a lot on citizen kane and i pretty much memorized the entire film scene by scene for an exam :I good shit though...