Author Topic: Looking to get into producing  (Read 309 times)

Jaydc555

Looking to get into producing
« on: January 08, 2009, 11:46:47 AM »
As lately I've been doing a lot of piano and guitar work and as a fan this only makes sense for me to at least try my hand even if its just for myself.Problem is I really wouldn't even know where to start.So I was hoping someone could hold my hand figuretively speaking and just point me to the right equipment I should buy and programs to use.I just have a normal pc but I'm considering getting a nice Mac and work with pro tools.But as far as keyboards and producing and mixing/editing equipment I'm not sure what I need.Any help is much appreciated.I just want the chance to create some good music and give back to something that has given me so much

J. Bryson

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: Looking to get into producing
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 12:55:49 PM »
whatever you do, don't get windows vista lol. and if you do have it get something else. vista sucks ass, and nothing works on it. i'd suggest getting a mac too.

and fruity loops is a program that most people use, i like it. but i got started on some real simple shit, beatcraft and mixcraft. it's easy and is a good way to get started.

there's also a ton of drum packages you can get on producer's websites, like lil john, danja, mannie fresh.

once you really get into it though and get serious and are willing to spend some money, i'd suggest going to Guitar Center, if there is one by you. if not go to the website. they literaly have EVERYTHING for every type of music. drum machines, guitars, thousands of different software, piano's, drums, mics, etc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 01:00:49 PM by Young Boss »

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 03:00:21 PM »
depends on what you wanna do, do you want to record instruments including vocals and make beats out of that or use software to produce beats? fruity loops is not a bad choice especially with the VST support. but Reason isnt a bad choice either. me personally, i work on a mac with logic, thats my shit, but ive been usin it for years so i know how to work it. there's a lot of choices. but make sure you get a good interface, preferably not usb.. but thats a matter of opinion, there might be plenty of folks sayin there aint nothin wrong with a usb interface. just make sure you make the best out of what you got. its not always what you have but more so how you make use of it.
I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

Trav Treezy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
As lately I've been doing a lot of piano and guitar work and as a fan this only makes sense for me to at least try my hand even if its just for myself.Problem is I really wouldn't even know where to start.So I was hoping someone could hold my hand figuretively speaking and just point me to the right equipment I should buy and programs to use.I just have a normal pc but I'm considering getting a nice Mac and work with pro tools.But as far as keyboards and producing and mixing/editing equipment I'm not sure what I need.Any help is much appreciated.I just want the chance to create some good music and give back to something that has given me so much

Atleast an mpc 1000,pro tools is good,reason is cool too,logic is nice. Keyboards the motif is damn near standard nowadays,roland fantom is hot too,and roland put out a new joint recently cant think of it right now. Or you could just get a basic midi keyboard and get a bunch of plug ins. Native instruments got this joint out now thats suppose to put all keyboards to rest hahaha. I havent messed with it yet myself.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ilKxOAEEhKk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ilKxOAEEhKk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;</a>

Fuck the rest of that shit listen to Saigon

Jaydc555

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 03:12:06 PM »
I think I'm look more for a fleshed out sound with live instruments but I'd like to try different methods to see what works best for me.Like I said I'm totally green at this but something I really want to get into.what's a good site to get software and such?I'm a quick learner so I don't think it would be that much of a problem.But for example those machines that warren g is holding on the in the midnight hour and q tip on his new album what are those called?like I said I'm green at this.also not saying I want to use it but when someone is using 808s or what not is that a software program or is that a separate piece of equipment?any links you guys can provide me just on the basics at first or any knowledge you can give me is greatly appreciated.I checked out guitar center but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.I may take a course in music production to help me out...all your input so far is great thanks guys

Jaydc555

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 03:15:41 PM »
I'm also looking at turntables and that and would like to get into that aspect as well.I want to start simple but I want to expand and I do want to decent money on this.I know fruity loops is a common program and I may start with it but like I said I want to really push forward and expand myself musically and Learn and do everthing I'm capable of.I've always wanted to do this and I figured getting some advice from this forum would be a good starting point

Trav Treezy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 03:22:13 PM »
I think I'm look more for a fleshed out sound with live instruments but I'd like to try different methods to see what works best for me.Like I said I'm totally green at this but something I really want to get into.what's a good site to get software and such?I'm a quick learner so I don't think it would be that much of a problem.But for example those machines that warren g is holding on the in the midnight hour and q tip on his new album what are those called?like I said I'm green at this.also not saying I want to use it but when someone is using 808s or what not is that a software program or is that a separate piece of equipment?any links you guys can provide me just on the basics at first or any knowledge you can give me is greatly appreciated.I checked out guitar center but I don't know exactly what I'm looking for.I may take a course in music production to help me out...all your input so far is great thanks guys

I dont remember the warren g cover but i saw that q tip cover today and i believe thats an mpc 2000 or 3000. A good site to order equipment for me as far as prices is ebay. But it depends on what it is cause these things cost money and you dont want to get jammed up with a 2000 dollar keyboard and somethings wrong. You can just get an 808 sample and put it in your mp(Mpc) and tune it or whatever you dont really need a program or equipment for that. Scratch magazine and the website helped me out a lot plus a few people around here but since scratch went out of business there aint much but try these few banginbeats.com,justblazeradio.com,samplemymelodies.com,samplekingz.com.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ilKxOAEEhKk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ilKxOAEEhKk&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&quot;</a>

Fuck the rest of that shit listen to Saigon

Suga Foot

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 03:42:44 PM »
I got one of these -
And one of these -
and one of these -

I started out with Fruityloops, and slowly got into hardware.  I have an mbox (pro tools) but I never use it because the MV can do it all.  If you want to invest a lot of money in this, take your time and find what you like and what works best for you.  Maybe rent some stuff for a month or so. 

Jaydc555

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 05:02:35 PM »
Thanks for all the input guys its much love.I'm going to start doing some research on everything soon.I have to move into my new place this month so I won't be able to then.as soon as I get into my zone with it ill put up some of my music for input.that probably won't be for a while though.and if anyone else has more advice for me or something you think I should read then please add.thanks everyone again

Hey Ma

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 05:08:46 PM »
Yeah, basically a mac or pc with a pro tools sytem will work nicely. As for Pro Tools, you should probably start with a M-Box instead of a mixer. It has plugins for guitars or keyboards or whatever and is more affordable than a 002 or 003 mixer. Any midi keyboard will do the trick as well, it's not about what sounds come with it but what you can create, so don't get discouraged by a bunch of crappy sounding stock patches. You can use Pro Tools to isolate and chop up samples as well so you can save a little money instead of copping an MPC. Just know that "producing" takes a lot of technical know how and creativity. I'd suggest getting a book on producer tips just so you know basic eq and compression tricks and stuff.

Jaydc555

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
This is definitely something I'm going to be thorough about and do as much research about.Now that I have a job that I'm comfortable with with good money I can pour all of my hours into this.Is there a good site for reviews and research into the mentioned programs and equipment?

Jaydc555

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 05:57:55 PM »
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Akai-MPC2500-Recording-Package-703255-i1394722.gc.  How is that package is that worth buying do you guys think?

Hey Ma

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 12:18:56 AM »
This is definitely something I'm going to be thorough about and do as much research about.Now that I have a job that I'm comfortable with with good money I can pour all of my hours into this.Is there a good site for reviews and research into the mentioned programs and equipment?

http://audiotuts.com/

Just browse thru various tutorials and you'll feel pretty hopeful for your future productions.

Once again for everyone else, this site is gold: