Author Topic: DUBCNN Exclusive: Dawaun Parker Interview (Dr. Dre/Eminem/50 Cent/GodBody)  (Read 1431 times)

Chad

http://www.dubcnn.com
http://www.dubcnn.com/interviews/dawaunparker09

Dubbed “The Dr.’s Apprentice”, Dawaun Parker has been Dr. Dre’s right-hand man on joints for everyone from Jay-Z, Busta Rhymes and 50 Cent to Eminem, Young Buck and Game. You’ve surely heard his talents on songs like Higher, 30 Something, Don’t Get Carried Away and so many others. Dawaun Parker sat down with Dubcnn once again for an exclusive interview.

This time around, Chad Kiser & Jon Hay talk with Dawaun about some of the current topics surrounding the Aftermath family, such as Stat Quo’s declaration that he’ll release 300 songs he did while at the label, DJ Quik’s proclamation that Dr. Dre has been getting piano lessons from the great Burt Bacharach, as well as how the loss of a son has affected the good Doctor as it relates to working on his projects.

Of course, we do the Detox talk, but we also get a bit more insight on his project, The GodBody, and we get a few updates on that. We talk about his musical background, the instruments of choice, and ultimately, his reason for making music. We go deep into the mind of this gifted producer, who will undoubtedly soon shed “The Dr.’s Apprentice” moniker for a more masterful soubriquet.

Continue to hit me up on Myspace or email me with all your ideas, tips, and thoughts and be sure to leave feedback!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:22:15 AM by Chad aka Noncentz »
Resume: BBC / HipHopDX / TMZ / Billboard / XXL / LA Weekly / AFH // Ice Cube. MC Ren . Sir Jinx . DOC . Too Short . Fredwreck . DJ Jazzy Jeff

www.chadkiser.com
Twitter:  @chadmkiser
IG:  chadmkiser

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
wow, i can't believe there's no feedback yet   :o ;)

anyway, great job once again guys  ;)
Dawaun gave very detailed answers  :)

Dubcnn: Do you think that Dre feels the pressure to make Detox like this all time classic album or is he more of a perfectionist himself?

Well, he definitely is a perfectionist. I know that I’ve always been accused of being one myself and he far surpasses me. I know that he is not going to put out anything that he doesn’t feel is great and he is not going to repeat himself or anything like that. I don’t know if its pressure so much as a desire to put out what he hears in his head and that it's always dope. I feel that other people have to deal with that pressure; like you have to bring your A-Game with Dre, but you're not going to have fun if you have all kinds of pressure in the studio. If you’re not having fun making the music, people aren’t going to have fun listening to it. So it’s more about motivation than pressure. The natural level of perfectionism ensures that anything that we put out is top quality.
well after having made over 1000 tracks, Dre still hasn't created what he hears in his head so perhaps there's something wrong with his head?  :P

Digital Pimpin'

Yeah good interview +1

No-one sees this thread at the top lol

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I like this cats beats, that Godbody track "Beef" was dope!

Good interview, props on that one :D:D:D

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I wanna hear that Mel Man and Hittman track, tell ihm to leak it!

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah good interview +1

No-one sees this thread at the top lol

Yea that can be the problem with sticky threads

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

David Gutterman

good shit, thanx dubcnn

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
also, no disrespect to Scott Storch, but i'm glad he went on to do his own thing.
he over saturated himself.

if he had stayed with Dre, this could have affected Dre's sound in the long run

Matty

thanks for the interview! this is probably as close as we can get to an actual interview with the doc on detox as it seems like dawaun is a big part of all dre's latest projects. i would have liked some more music specific questions on the direction of dre's sound these days but it was cool to hear what he had to say. can't wait to hear some of that godbody shit!!!

about scott storch not really being in the fold with dre i don't think that's such a great thing. i think dre should work with him a bit instead of not at all. i believe storch doing some of the keys on detox would be some incredible music. not to say dawaun isn't doing his thing but i still prefer dre and storch myself, based on what i've heard so far. you only have to listen to the two new 50 cent tracks for a comparison of the latest dre acoustics with each of the dudes on the keys. imo storch brings out way more energy and his notes can make a memorable HIT straight up.

'get up' = dre and scott storch
'i get it in' = dre and dawaun parker

dawaun on his work with dre - "The natural level of perfectionism ensures that ANYTHING that we put out is top quality."

14. Fire (feat. Nicole Scherzinger & Young Buck)
Produced by Dr.Dre
Keyboards by Mark Batson & Dawaun Parker

peace! 8)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 07:32:41 AM by Matty »

Chad Vader

Dope interview,great questions...  ;)

about Scott storch not really being in the fold with Dre i don't think that's such a great thing.

well,I like fresh blood. So I rather not see any well known cats that has worked with Dre before on Detox, I like to see some new cats get some shine.
Save that shit for D.O.C "voice trough hot...."

Produced by Dr.Dre

You picked the worst track Dre has ever done,that shit is on some "Ego Trippin" shit  :-X :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: DUBCNN Exclusive: Dawaun Parker Interview (Dr. Dre/Eminem/50 Cent/GodBody)
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 06:36:24 AM »
thanks for the interview! this is probably as close as we can get to an actual interview with the doc on detox as it seems like dawaun is a big part of all dre's latest projects. i would have liked some more music specific questions on the direction of dre's sound these days but it was cool to hear what he had to say. can't wait to hear some of that godbody shit!!!

about scott storch not really being in the fold with dre i don't think that's such a great thing. i think dre should work with him a bit instead of not at all. i believe storch doing some of the keys on detox would be some incredible music. not to say dawaun isn't doing his thing but i still prefer dre and storch myself, based on what i've heard so far. you only have to listen to the two new 50 cent tracks for a comparison of the latest dre acoustics with each of the dudes on the keys. imo storch brings out way more energy and his notes can make a memorable HIT straight up.

'get up' = dre and scott storch
'i get it in' = dre and dawaun parker

dawaun on his work with dre - "The natural level of perfectionism ensures that anything that we put out is top quality."

Produced by Dr.Dre

peace! 8)

sure, it's all subjective at the end of the day.
i don't think the material they would come up, if Dre & Scott worked together again would be bad,
it's just that i think that Scott's creativity died a long time ago.
that's why i'm glad he got replaced.

by the way, Fire is a horrible example  :-X  :P :laugh:
also, Chad, don't forget about How We Do It Over Here  :-\ :D

about Scott storch not really being in the fold with Dre i don't think that's such a great thing.

well,I like fresh blood. So I rather not see any well known cats that has worked with Dre before on Detox, I like to see some new cats get some shine.

by the way, a little off topic:
i'm with Erotic as far as DOC's announced "project" is concerned; i don't believe that Dre will executive produce this.
so unless Dre states otherwise, i'll stick to my vision  ;)

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 07:22:42 AM »

Dope interview,great questions...  ;)

Produced by Dr.Dre

You picked the worst track Dre has ever done,that shit is on some "Ego Trippin" shit  :-X :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No. That is 100 times worse than Ego Trippin. Ego Trippin had some good beats, you can't deny that.

Matty

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 07:29:52 AM »
'fire' is a great example as i'm using it to point at a contradiction in the quote. no way storch is over as a musician even though his own productions have dried up. he needs to be playing the keys on dre's records and then we will hear that he can still be cutting edge 8)

GET UP is the better than pretty much all of dre and storch's individual work in recent times, even though they probably worked on it seperately. dre and scott in the studio again going hard would definitely be fire. check out that new petey pablo joint and you'll hear that storch is still doing very interesting things musically. just a shame his drum and mixing game is seriously lagging compared to what dre is doing now.

no offense to dawaun as he is probably being used in a different way to play more classically influenced stuff, i just love scott's melodies.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
'fire' is a great example as i'm using it to point at a contradiction in the quote. no way storch is over as a musician even though his own productions have dried up. he needs to be playing the keys on dre's records and then we will hear that he can still be cutting edge 8)

GET UP is the better than pretty much all of dre and storch's individual work in recent times, even though they probably worked on it seperately. dre and scott in the studio again going hard would definitely be fire. check out that new petey pablo joint and you'll hear that storch is still doing very interesting things musically. just a shame his drum and mixing game is seriously lagging compared to what dre is doing now.

no offense to dawaun as he is probably being used in a different way to play more classically influenced stuff, i just love scott's melodies.

hater  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
they definitely have fire  :nahnah2:  :laugh:  ;)

Matty

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 08:11:33 AM »
lol :laugh: i only used 'fire' cause i know most people on here really dislike it. personally i think its pretty good - dre flavour bubblegum. i now call on my hater army to commence the hate :laugh: