Author Topic: "Rise And Fall Of The Islamic Ummah"- Please Listen and Review My Song  (Read 454 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Song:  "Rise And Fall Of Islamic Ummah" feat. Muhammad Sulu
Produced by:  Unknown

http://www.myspace.com/thedeathofhiphop

it's an older song I did in 06, but newly mixed

please give feedback
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
Re: "Rise And Fall Of The Islamic Ummah"- Please Listen and Review My Song
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »
not bad...the beat is tight tne timeing is on the vocal recording quality is a lil low maybe u can faten um up with some ad libs or doubles

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 01:47:17 AM »
not bad...the beat is tight tne timeing is on the vocal recording quality is a lil low maybe u can faten um up with some ad libs or doubles

I would, if I could.. I'll check it out

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 01:47:53 AM »
btw, it's always funny when I do a song, and somebody simply replies that they "like the beat"... lol... because the beat is the one part of the song that I had nothing to do with... lol

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
its something different. was cool listening to
I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
btw, it's always funny when I do a song, and somebody simply replies that they "like the beat"... lol... because the beat is the one part of the song that I had nothing to do with... lol
true but be glad u getting any replies as dead as the section is

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
true but be glad u getting any replies as dead as the section is

lol... word

Pacific Standard

It's funny you have a quote about not doing things sloppily....

I wouldn't complain about people complimenting the beat because it's about the only thing you have going for the track.

Seriously man, that sucked, I'm sorry.

All lyrical content and structure and flow aside, it was just poorly executed and crafted.

I'd like to know what you use gear-wise in your productions because you need some help.

Either way, whether you use Pro Tools and a U-87 mic or cool edit pro and your built in mic, here are some tips to fatten up your vocals so you don't sound like a timid punk:

Record SEVERAL takes of each verse. Be sure to stand no more than 10 inches away from the mic, and have a pop filter in between you and it. (a sock over the mic will work if you have nothing else).

When you find 3 verses that match each others flow and cadence, sync them up over the beat. Pan one take all the way to the right, other to the left, and on in the center. The two panned tracks should sit at about -9db, while the center sits at about-4.

If your editing program supports busing, create 2 auxilary tracks for all 3, have all three tracks compressed on the first aux track, and the second aux track should be for reverb or delay, (which it sounds like you took a a stab at anyway, use auxilary tracks which can be independently turned up or down in volume, that way you don't sound like you are recording in a dumpster).

If your software doesn't support buses, then create a wav track of all those vocals combined, turn the track down, and layer it the other three. Add a compressor to that track, so it will bring up the low volume and limit the volume. (Wikipedia compression for actual definition)

There are so many things you could do to the track to make it sound better, I love when musicians try new things, I hate when the sound quality is lame. You can do better easily.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

I wouldn't complain about people complimenting the beat because it's about the only thing you have going for the track.

All lyrical content and structure and flow aside, it was just poorly executed and crafted.

I'd like to know what you use gear-wise in your productions because you need some help.

Either way, whether you use Pro Tools and a U-87 mic or cool edit pro and your built in mic, here are some tips to fatten up your vocals so you don't sound like a timid punk:

Record SEVERAL takes of each verse. Be sure to stand no more than 10 inches away from the mic, and have a pop filter in between you and it. (a sock over the mic will work if you have nothing else).

When you find 3 verses that match each others flow and cadence, sync them up over the beat. Pan one take all the way to the right, other to the left, and on in the center. The two panned tracks should sit at about -9db, while the center sits at about-4.

If your editing program supports busing, create 2 auxilary tracks for all 3, have all three tracks compressed on the first aux track, and the second aux track should be for reverb or delay, (which it sounds like you took a a stab at anyway, use auxilary tracks which can be independently turned up or down in volume, that way you don't sound like you are recording in a dumpster).

If your software doesn't support buses, then create a wav track of all those vocals combined, turn the track down, and layer it the other three. Add a compressor to that track, so it will bring up the low volume and limit the volume. (Wikipedia compression for actual definition)

There are so many things you could do to the track to make it sound better, I love when musicians try new things, I hate when the sound quality is lame. You can do better easily.

I used acid pro and a basic computer mic.  I appreciate all the time you spent explaining all that.  I only understood half of what you said.  Pan one take to the left?  software buses?  reverb?  I have no idea what half the things were you said, and I don't know if they even exist on acid pro.

Also, you said, "all lyrics, flow and structure aside".... well, think about it.. I'm just recording on my home computer with acid pro and a computer mic, so anybody can critisize the sound quality, but the thing I would like to know most is what people think of the make up of the song, it's structure, lyrical content, message, etc... and nobody here has done that.

Rugged Monk

I listened to it.

Yes the beat was good. I enjoyed the beat (the chick singing is dope) the sound should be better of course if you are going to be serious about goin all out with the music.

I do not doubt you were talking about interesting shit, you obviously have some good content and worthwhile things to speak on. The structure was fine. I liked the 'where are you Saladdin' bit near the end.  Now having said that you really got to work on how your voice sounds. To begin you need more bass in your voice and pronounce shit with more authority, conviction and confidence, you are dealing with what is supposed to be inspiring content, so you should likewise sound inspired.

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 08:00:31 PM »

not bad, but i disagree with some of that... a compressor is an insert effect, not a send effect, unless you're trying to route it to an aux channel and send a certain amount back, however thats mostly done on drums, not vocals unless you're trying to achieve a certain effect...  this is a rap song, so really half of that is unnecessary.
being that almost every piece of software is different, as well as your soundcard or AD/DA converters, you cant just say put the main vocal at -4db and the doubles at -9... it dont work that way. might work as a starting point, but always use your ears in the end. and you shouldnt really pan your doubles all the way to the right and left either, if you want it to emphasize your main vocal take, then pan it slightly and turn it down some, add an eq and either boost or cut certain frequencies to give it some weight.    panning it all the way could work, but it ends up making it sound more panoramic.. which in some cases widens the vocals more than it should.

then again, try it out and go with what you like best and what sounds best to you.. im knockin what pacific said. just droppin my two cents in.

either way, message wise its what ive known you for being capable of. matter of taste obviously for some people, but nonetheless, like i said it was different.
I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

Pacific Standard

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »

not bad, but i disagree with some of that... a compressor is an insert effect, not a send effect, unless you're trying to route it to an aux channel and send a certain amount back, however thats mostly done on drums, not vocals unless you're trying to achieve a certain effect...  this is a rap song, so really half of that is unnecessary.
being that almost every piece of software is different, as well as your soundcard or AD/DA converters, you cant just say put the main vocal at -4db and the doubles at -9... it dont work that way. might work as a starting point, but always use your ears in the end. and you shouldnt really pan your doubles all the way to the right and left either, if you want it to emphasize your main vocal take, then pan it slightly and turn it down some, add an eq and either boost or cut certain frequencies to give it some weight.    panning it all the way could work, but it ends up making it sound more panoramic.. which in some cases widens the vocals more than it should.

then again, try it out and go with what you like best and what sounds best to you.. im knockin what pacific said. just droppin my two cents in.

either way, message wise its what ive known you for being capable of. matter of taste obviously for some people, but nonetheless, like i said it was different.

You can always use a compressor as a send effect in Pro Tools, its all a matter of preference but I don't do too many insert effects, I'd rather taper between the aux and the original.

And of course the db levels for doubles and main aren't set in stone, but I'm tryin to establish some framework for him setting up a mix. It always comes down to the ears.

As you said though every soundcard setup is different, thats def true. Fuck, I wish we had a producers thread sticky in here, because I wuld love to talk about eq arrangements and share methods all day. I post over at the digi users forum but it would be nice to do something like that over here with hip hop people.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2009, 01:12:54 PM »
^good Idea we did have something like that but it's now been cramed into this all in one childboard

Job starring as King Of Zamunda

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • King Of Zamunda
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 07:23:00 PM »
eye think eye can actually agree with pacific standard for once.......... but you said how long ago you made this though??? so maybe a lot changed since.....but that track...... pretty sloppy
HOW TO ROB DUBCC PART 1--> http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=227551.0
"I killed a man who looked like me, whose mother and father looked like my mother and father...and nothing happened," Lawrence Fishburne in Deep Cover

"I would share the definition of balling
with you white folks but no...
the game is to be sold not told
so fuck you." - Pac