Author Topic: Bursting the Bubble: Is N.Y. any closer?  (Read 100 times)

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Bursting the Bubble: Is N.Y. any closer?
« on: April 06, 2009, 02:39:08 AM »
We're still looking for either a West coast or East coast artist to shift the current sound of mainstream Hip-Hop..  The West doesn't have alot of 'immediate' releases that can be considered contenders.  (We all know the Quik and Kurupt album has no backing..) 

Jim Jones failed to drop his album after Pop Champagne gave him his closest entry point to bringing it back..  There has been no more promotion following the release of the album, and it feels like the time has already come and gone for him.

Cam'ron is on a major label, but yet all of his videos off Crime Pays have been indepedent efforts.  Does he have a song that's going to be backed by the label [with a high budget video and paying for radio/tv play] becuz that should come out late this month early next month if he wants to capitalize. 

Maino has probably the best single out of the East in awhile with "All of the Above" and still Atlantic is waiting on him?  I hope the execs are right and Maino can make a better song that they will support, cuz I like this one.. 

Jadakiss has leaked online and the reviews aren't attracting.   His marketing plan did *decent*, but still the album itself is not going to create a word-of-mouth that will ultimately judge him.

Do you see the state of N.Y. as progressing or staying stale in the ongoing saga to abolish the South?

Note: I shouldn't really care how dudes are doing as long as I'm getting good music, but it's just so annoying to have the universal broadcasting world play and support the whackest shit, everytime I'm in public my life is filled with bullcrap if there's a speaker around...  It's a real buzz-killer sometimes, if you know what I mean?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:41:54 AM by The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES »

stillinrehab

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Bursting the Bubble: Is N.Y. any closer?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 04:13:31 AM »
Well... I think this is a fucken deep topic and well thought out one at that so props for starters! Its kinda hard to know where to start with this one .... I mean motherfuckers are just too damn picky with what they like and what they will back... (What they back is different to what most of really want to be put out) So unless its an already established person (Dre, Jayz, Snoop, Nas etc) Then its too damn hard to get put out atm.... However these mutherfuckers are all releasing at some point and they gotta be nearing the end now... So if one of them does well enough (millions and millions) then step aside THEN we could see a whole crew of new dudes gettign put out off of that money... thing is is that noone is excited enough in the world to buy albums weather its a n00bie or a legend... I know people will come in here saying they copped this and that but noone in the rest of the world will... theyll download it.... but say if a mutherfucker like Jay or Dre comes out and sells 10mill then I could see a east coast or west coast blow up again... (eg Dre, then Bishop, Slim da mobster.... all the way down the line....) All we need to happen is a great great release and it could spark it all back... but people being fucken negative and shit and not buying or not convincing others to buy will stop this and we will stay in this lull and NY, as you wanted to know about, will focus on bringing down the south instead of rising up and bringing a whole new era of themselves... they want to bring down the south so much then stop making poppy songs that use the word swag in it.... in conclusion im pretty wasted right now and I think I gave sorts of an answer  in there but fuck knows how much sense there is haha... One moment in history can make a difference... its just about who comes forward to make it! 8)

Jaydc555

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 05:29:15 AM »
The east and west are in similar shape.both have some promising acts and both even get some artists on majors but then nothing drops.remember sly boogy and saigon made a monster track together and both got fucked over by majors.theirs some talent out there for sure.but people like fat Joe and jadakiss are putting out bullshit releases and nobody in the mainstream is checking for ny.then you get premo wanting to do albums with eiht and krs?talk about boring.the truth is the east has talent with guys like tru life,papoose,joell Ortiz and saigon.but this isn't 1997 and I don't think these guys Will ever do big numbers.and for me I don't care if they do.I just want some good music and I will go support it.truth is I haven't turned on a radio or watched a music channel in over a year because it just doesn't interest me.all these rappers who can actually emcee and don't want to sell out have to just go the independent route.oh and in closing fuck jim jones wack ass.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 01:20:03 AM »
Well... I think this is a fucken deep topic and well thought out one at that so props for starters! Its kinda hard to know where to start with this one .... I mean motherfuckers are just too damn picky with what they like and what they will back... (What they back is different to what most of really want to be put out) So unless its an already established person (Dre, Jayz, Snoop, Nas etc) Then its too damn hard to get put out atm.... However these mutherfuckers are all releasing at some point and they gotta be nearing the end now... So if one of them does well enough (millions and millions) then step aside THEN we could see a whole crew of new dudes gettign put out off of that money... thing is is that noone is excited enough in the world to buy albums weather its a n00bie or a legend... I know people will come in here saying they copped this and that but noone in the rest of the world will... theyll download it.... but say if a mutherfucker like Jay or Dre comes out and sells 10mill then I could see a east coast or west coast blow up again... (eg Dre, then Bishop, Slim da mobster.... all the way down the line....) All we need to happen is a great great release and it could spark it all back... but people being fucken negative and shit and not buying or not convincing others to buy will stop this and we will stay in this lull and NY, as you wanted to know about, will focus on bringing down the south instead of rising up and bringing a whole new era of themselves... they want to bring down the south so much then stop making poppy songs that use the word swag in it.... in conclusion im pretty wasted right now and I think I gave sorts of an answer  in there but fuck knows how much sense there is haha... One moment in history can make a difference... its just about who comes forward to make it! 8)

Yeah a big release could change momentum.  But don't you agree it would have to be a certain type of album, and a certain type of artist..   Like Kanye and Wayne did big, but the albums didn't sell cuz ppl thought they were lyrical masterpieces..  There's gotta be a machine behind a certain artist, where the label is gonna say, "we're gonna go hard with this artist, cuz he made a real album, and deserves it" instead of just promoting the most mainstream artist they have..  Or even if it is a dude like Ye, Wayne, Jay, 50..  they have to realize that they have the power to bring someone in, and heavily feature someone on their album..  It's been doing millions of time,  Dre with Hittman, Cam with Juelz, 50 with G-Unit, etc.  Imagine is Jay'z next release had Papoose, Saigon, Maino on like 3-4 tracks, how huge would that be for that artist?

The east and west are in similar shape.both have some promising acts and both even get some artists on majors but then nothing drops.remember sly boogy and saigon made a monster track together and both got fucked over by majors.theirs some talent out there for sure.but people like fat Joe and jadakiss are putting out bullshit releases and nobody in the mainstream is checking for ny.then you get premo wanting to do albums with eiht and krs?talk about boring.the truth is the east has talent with guys like tru life,papoose,joell Ortiz and saigon.but this isn't 1997 and I don't think these guys Will ever do big numbers.and for me I don't care if they do.I just want some good music and I will go support it.truth is I haven't turned on a radio or watched a music channel in over a year because it just doesn't interest me.all these rappers who can actually emcee and don't want to sell out have to just go the independent route.oh and in closing fuck jim jones wack ass.

Yeah the Premo shit is like wrestling where the established stars dont wanna try and put over a new dude... Not feeling those projects..  Yep these established artists have an influence in the direction the music goes, so why do they give in for the money and make the kind of album the label wants?  You have to figure if enough GOOD and ESTABLISHED artists refuse to do the mainstream album and even leave or get dropped, labels won't have alot to choose from and will have to let them drop real albums.  And it would also force them to put out newer artists like Corey Gunz, Charles Hamilton, Asher Roth "the leaders of the new school".  I believe they wouldn't be able to find enough soulja bois to compensate..

So it's tricky situation, where the artist has to have a mainstream single blow up, but then somehow keep his album intact so it is REAL music, and have a major label support that to the fullest.   I think Saigon and Maino are in the best positions...

J Bananas

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 01:21:49 AM »
hip hop just doesn't sell as well period. new york is truer hip hop so it wont ever sell as well without bullshit mc's like jim jones or mims...
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 01:37:45 AM by Bonanno »