Author Topic: DJ Drama Interview (My Work)  (Read 51 times)

Lunatic

DJ Drama Interview (My Work)
« on: May 01, 2009, 12:33:40 PM »
Done by yours truly

http://chronicvacation.com/2009/04/dj-drama-interview/

ChronicVacation.com: DJ Drama is right here on Chronic Vacation with an exclusive interview. To start us off, do you feel “Gangsta Grillz: The Album Part Two” is better than part one? If so, why?

DJ Drama: Yeah, I think it’s better and bigger. It’s more compact. It’s a step above. It’s quality music. The first one was banging, and this one is banging. I’m just gonna continue keeping the legacy moving.

ChronicVacation.com: Ok. Last time you felt the album didn’t sell to its potential due to poor single choosing…

DJ Drama: Nah, that’s not what I said (laughs). I never said that.

ChronicVacation.com: Ok, then what was it you felt?

DJ Drama: What I said was that my album actually did quite well without having strong radio or video singles. None of my singles were poor; they just weren’t songs that had strong impacts on radio or video outlets. But beyond that, my album did quite well.

ChronicVacation.com: No doubt, I didn’t mean poor in quality. I meant poor in exactly what your saying, radio/TV wise.

DJ Drama: Yeah, I just didn’t wanna get it misconstrued.

ChronicVacation.com: No doubt. We got that ironed out. Because you felt the singles didn’t get as much radio or TV play as you would have liked, tell us about the single choosing process this time around and what lead you to “Daydreaming?”

DJ Drama: I mean, to be honest, it’s just that. Seeing that I didn’t have a big single last time, when “Daydreaming” came about, I got the beat and sent it to Akon. To me it was something perfect that would do strongly at radio and do strongly [as a] video. It definitely impacted on a greater scale this time around for me. I felt it was a success. It definitely had an impact on how I chose my singles this go-around. The Gangsta Grillz brand is already stamped and in its place.

ChronicVacation.com: That’s the first single and it’s doing quite well on radio and with video plays. Is a second single going to be picked out anytime soon?

DJ Drama: Yeah, we just dropped “Ridiculous” with Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti and Lonnie Mac. It’s produced by Zaytoven. We just dropped that last week. It’s getting a great response from the DJs and from a lot of markets.

ChronicVacation.com: And is a video for that going to be shot?

DJ Drama: Yeah, definitely.

ChronicVacation.com: Ok. Are you worried to drop your album against Eminem and Method Man/Redman on May 19th?

DJ Drama: I’m actually excited. I call it the great day in Hip-Hop to me. Coming out the same day as legends like Eminem, legends like Red & Meth, legends like Busta Rhymes. That’s a big dog day. It feels real good. The last time I dropped, I dropped on December 4th 2007. It was the same day as Ghostface [Killah], Wyclef [Jean], Styles P and Scarface. This time around, it’s the same type of thing. Plus, it’s Malcolm X’s birthday. I just seem to pick historic days.

ChronicVacation.com: Tell us about some of the guests and producers that appear on the album?

DJ Drama: I have Akon, Snoop [Dogg], T.I., Ludacris, Busta Rhymes, Willie the Kid, The-Dream, Too $hort, LA the Darkman, Trick Daddy, Rick Ross, Mike Jones, Nas, Scarface, Juvenile, Bun B, Styles P, Young Dro, Ray J, Fabolous and so on. The album is crazy. I have production from Zaytoven, Tricky Stewart, Drumma Boy, DJ Khalil, V12 the Hitmen and more.

ChronicVacation.com: That’s a real hot lineup right there. With it being a DJ album, a lot of people just see it as a compilation of guests. What steps are you taking to ensure people truly see this as your album?

DJ Drama: I don’t have to take any steps. Basically, it’s about Gangsta Grillz the brand. I’m DJ Drama, it’s my brand. It’s bigger than me though, it’s really about the music. I’m not worried about or concerned about whether they notice it’s my album, I just want them to go out and support it, support quality Hip-Hop music. I want them to respect the project as a whole.

ChronicVacation.com: Do you have a personal favorite song on the album?

DJ Drama: Nah, I love it from beginning to end.

ChronicVacation.com: Ok. You worked with Nas and Scarface on this project. You mentioned more of an emphasis on lyricism. Tell us about that.

DJ Drama: I’ve always been one who is really into lyrics and lyrical artists. Nas and Scarface are both artists that I grew up admiring and have been a fan of their work since day one. It’s an honor to have them on my album.

ChronicVacation.com: Especially since Scarface recently announced his retirement.

DJ Drama: Definitely.

ChronicVacation.com: Gangsta Grillz has become a very popular and infamous mixtape series. Which artists are you currently working with for the next few editions?

DJ Drama: I have a project with Soulja Boy; I have a project with Gucci Mane. I and Fabolous are in the talks to do part two of his, “There Is No Competition” mixtape.

ChronicVacation.com: Do you pride yourself off of breaking big artists with the series? You really did so with Young Jeezy.

DJ Drama: Yeah, definitely. I like working with new artists. People hear some new artists through the Gangsta Grillz mixtapes and they tell me how they remember the first time they heard specific artists on Gangsta Grillz.

ChronicVacation.com: I believe a lot of people look forward to the mixtapes because they’ve grow to expect you to have the first break on a new, good artist.

DJ Drama: Definitely. It’s a great feeling.

ChronicVacation.com: Speaking of Jeezy, there was a little issue going on for a while. Is it all good now?

DJ Drama: I mean, in this business, you can agree to disagree. I feel he’s doing his thing and that’s what it is.

ChronicVacation.com: So it’s all love, but it’s a “go your separate ways” type of thing?

DJ Drama: Yeah. It is what it is.

ChronicVacation.com: For sure. Tell us about the Lil Wayne lawsuit that is going on right now.

DJ Drama: Yeah, the lawsuit is pending and everything. It’s in the process of getting worked out. Legally, there’s not much I can say about the situation.

ChronicVacation.com: I understand that. T.I. is heading to prison extremely shortly. How is Grand Hustle, and how are you personally preparing for the boss going away?

DJ Drama: Just staying working and staying in the streets. We’re gonna stay busy and what not, keep waving the Grand Hustle flag. We’re gonna stay motivated.

ChronicVacation.com: What albums is Grand Hustle planning to drop in those 10 months to a year when he’s in jail?

DJ Drama: Yung LA, Young Dro and the re-release of the “Paper Trail” album.

ChronicVacation.com: So those are the three Grand Hustle is running with right now?

DJ Drama: Yeah.

ChronicVacation.com: What about B.o.B.?

DJ Drama: Yeah, I think B.o.B.’s album should be coming out shortly as well.

ChronicVacation.com: Ok. Thanks a lot for your time Drama. You’re on Chronic Vacation with an exclusive interview. Do you have any last words before I let you go?

DJ Drama: I appreciate it big homie. May 19th, “Gangsta Grillz Part Two.”
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com