Author Topic: The Artists or the Fans?  (Read 1403 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: The Artists or the Fans?
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2009, 06:39:55 PM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, betake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?
the fans: they complain, but secretly support the wrong type of music

^^^ yep ^^^
so fuck the fucks who bought ego trippin'.

www.dubcnn.com

Let's get to Washington DC rap sensation Wale, who's buzz has been growing by the day. Bun B mentioned him as one of his favorites in his dubcnn interview, he's cosigned by Kanya West and Jay-Z, and now he's officially under the wing of musical mastermind Mark Ronson. It looks like this could be Wale's year and in preparation for his album, the shoe fanatic is releasing a "Mixtape About Nothing". We have a track off the tape available for y'all to check out, peep "The Perfect Plan" below:

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.
Dope lyrics about the state of Hip Hop..... listen up!  ;) (a message to the fans  ;))

What is that supposed to mean, fuck the fucks that bought Ego Trippin?

It means "you" support the watered down shit.  ;)
If you look at it,what mainstream that came last year deserves support? (a direction that ain't corny)
Scarface did a great job,Nas and Cube went halfway... so what I'm saying support "good" music,not corny ass bullshit.

That is a subjective statement though. For example, well actually this is fact, but anyways, I bought Ego Tripping only listening to a couple tracks from the album. I always do that when I am buying albums, I try not to get into listening to alot of leaked material. In the same breath I bought Snoop's, I bought Paris, Cube, Nas, Scarface and others.

It's a very broad statement to say what is watered down shit and what is not. Some peeps are saying this Busta Rhymes album is a return of the Leaders Of A New School Buss. Others say it is watered down. Who is right and wrong? I understand ya statement Chad and by no means am I offended by it, but when it comes down to spending my hard earned money, I buy what I want to buy. I try to get a gauge a lil for the sound before hand but if I like it I will support it. It just so happens for me alot of the watered down bullshit I do not buy lol, but i have bought some albums probably alot of people don't like. It's all good, I enjoy it so that is really all that matters.

to tell you the truth,I will end up byeing the album myself...
Why? I'm a collector,so I got to have it in my collection. Is it a priority? No!
The thing is,a lot of cats is complaining that Hip Hop is dead (mostly the older cats).
I have much respect for the younger cats opinions (like Luna)...
which tells me that Hip Hop is very much alive,and that old fucks like me is stuck in the past.
Maybe.. but I'm honest enough to admit it.  ;)

Nah I feel you. Knowing now what I know about Ego Trippin, and as much as I hate to say this, I am listening to the leak first. Couple cool tracks from ET but replay was very low and it was a little out there for me. I think to find the real gems of hip hop, and they are out there, people need to find them. If you are into raw, gritty, hip hop, east to west and inbetween, you won't find it now on TV or video. You can count on one hand now the dope shit you hear on the radio or you see on video. Was not like that 10 years ago. So in that sense it is like the group as hard as it is to believe that Fat Joe is in, Diggin In The Crates. I dig in record stores, online, wherever constantly looking for that dope shit. And when I find a dope single or album, it still gives me that same feeling as the "golden era" so in that sense for me hip hop is alive and well.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2009, 06:44:14 PM »
to each is own but for example
snoops et is and was wack
but at the same time
EPMD-WE MEAN BUSINESS is a great bangin album
so hip-hop can still be made, guess it depends on if you want to make it
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2009, 06:48:12 PM »
but at the same time

It really is up to the listener. I heard people say We Mean Business is wack. That is the one thing that kills me about this forum. People want to impose their opinion on a album on others. I don't mind being a loner on a album 50 other people don't like, it does not bother me. If I like it, that is all that matters, and I can still have a cool convo with that same person that hates it.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2009, 06:50:51 PM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, betake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?

^^^ yep ^^^

www.dubcnn.com

Let's get to Washington DC rap sensation Wale, who's buzz has been growing by the day. Bun B mentioned him as one of his favorites in his dubcnn interview, he's cosigned by Kanya West and Jay-Z, and now he's officially under the wing of musical mastermind Mark Ronson. It looks like this could be Wale's year and in preparation for his album, the shoe fanatic is releasing a "Mixtape About Nothing". We have a track off the tape available for y'all to check out, peep "The Perfect Plan" below:

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.
Dope lyrics about the state of Hip Hop..... listen up!  ;) (a message to the fans  ;))

If you look at it,what mainstream that came last year deserves support? (a direction that ain't corny)
Scarface did a great job,Nas and Cube went halfway... so what I'm saying support "good" music,not corny ass bullshit.

That is a subjective statement though. For example, well actually this is fact, but anyways, I bought Ego Tripping only listening to a couple tracks from the album. I always do that when I am buying albums, I try not to get into listening to alot of leaked material. In the same breath I bought Snoop's, I bought Paris, Cube, Nas, Scarface and others.

It's a very broad statement to say what is watered down shit and what is not. Some peeps are saying this Busta Rhymes album is a return of the Leaders Of A New School Buss. Others say it is watered down. Who is right and wrong? I understand ya statement Chad and by no means am I offended by it, but when it comes down to spending my hard earned money, I buy what I want to buy. I try to get a gauge a lil for the sound before hand but if I like it I will support it. It just so happens for me alot of the watered down bullshit I do not buy lol, but i have bought some albums probably alot of people don't like. It's all good, I enjoy it so that is really all that matters.

to tell you the truth,I will end up buying the album myself...
Why? I'm a collector,so I got to have it in my collection. Is it a priority? No!
The thing is,a lot of cats is complaining that Hip Hop is dead (mostly the older cats).
which tells me that Hip Hop is very much alive,and that old fucks like me is stuck in the past.

Nah I feel you. Knowing now what I know about Ego Trippin, and as much as I hate to say this, I am listening to the leak first. Couple cool tracks from ET but replay was very low and it was a little out there for me. I think to find the real gems of hip hop, and they are out there, people need to find them. If you are into raw, gritty, hip hop, east to west and in between, you won't find it now on TV or video. You can count on one hand now the dope shit you hear on the radio or you see on video. Was not like that 10 years ago. So in that sense it is like the group as hard as it is to believe that Fat Joe is in, Diggin In The Crates. I dig in record stores, on line, wherever constantly looking for that dope shit. And when I find a dope single or album, it still gives me that same feeling as the "golden era" so in that sense for me hip hop is alive and well.

true,you know I'm with you  ;)
I ain't complaining. (+ got much respect for the younger cats opinions  ;))
The thing is cats has problems to move on from their favorite artist.  :-[
I mean,instead of bitching about this and that artist fell off,why donīt they check out some of the new and up and upcoming cats?

Yeah this forum has tunnel vision when it comes to new music. Young De comes to mind, Maylay, and quite a few others.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2009, 07:02:43 PM »

^^^ yep ^^^

www.dubcnn.com

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.

Nah I feel you. Knowing now what I know about Ego Trippin, and as much as I hate to say this, I am listening to the leak first. Couple cool tracks from ET but replay was very low and it was a little out there for me. I think to find the real gems of hip hop, and they are out there, people need to find them. If you are into raw, gritty, hip hop, east to west and in between, you won't find it now on TV or video. You can count on one hand now the dope shit you hear on the radio or you see on video. Was not like that 10 years ago. So in that sense it is like the group as hard as it is to believe that Fat Joe is in, Diggin In The Crates. I dig in record stores, on line, wherever constantly looking for that dope shit. And when I find a dope single or album, it still gives me that same feeling as the "golden era" so in that sense for me hip hop is alive and well.

I mean,instead of bitching about this and that artist fell off,why donīt they check out some of the new and up and upcoming cats?

Yeah this forum has tunnel vision when it comes to new music. Young De comes to mind, Maylay, and quite a few others.

As long as cats is stuck in the usual suspects,shit can't move on.
I mean they're missing out.  :-[ Young De,Maylay and others is killing shit.

sad but true

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2009, 11:49:56 PM »

^^^ yep ^^^

www.dubcnn.com

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.

That's stupid logic. I'm not saying the album was "good", but at least he was trying to be creative with it. If he was doing watered down shit he would've released another gangsta rap album.
lol no it actually made sense: the album was definitely watered down.
yes in a way it was different for snoop, but he was jumping on what's hot: there's nothing creative about that.

anyway in case it wasn't clear for someone:

Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, booty-shake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?

i think the reason Chad Vader agreed, is not because he criticises those who bought a mainstream album.
he agreed to my statement, in which i criticise music listeners that complain, yet support the type of music they claim to hate.

you won't see me state that hiphop is dead.

but at the same time

It really is up to the listener. I heard people say We Mean Business is wack. That is the one thing that kills me about this forum. People want to impose their opinion on a album on others. I don't mind being a loner on a album 50 other people don't like, it does not bother me. If I like it, that is all that matters, and I can still have a cool convo with that same person that hates it.

so true! i've had my fair share of arguments because of that  :laugh: ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 11:52:24 PM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 12:31:54 AM »

^^^ yep ^^^

www.dubcnn.com

Wale - The Perfect Plan

Don't sleep on Wale.

As long as cats is stuck in the usual suspects,shit can't move on.
I mean they're missing out.  :-[ Young De,Maylay and others is killing shit.

sad but true

what to do,what to do?  :laugh: :laugh:
Cats like us two know what's bubling in the underground.

Off topic,how about the Muggs album? The Bun-B and M1 track is straight fire!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah I will be picking that album up when it drops. U know me when it comes to Muggs lol.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 12:36:04 AM »
yes in a way it was different for snoop, but he was jumping on what's hot: there's nothing creative about that.

How the hell was Ego Trippin jumping on whats hot? Nothing about that is what other rappers in hip hop were doing. The only comparison is that in one of the songs he used autotunes, and even then it sounded nothing like the type of songs T-Pain makes. Half the album was like a throwback to the 80s, nothing like whats going on in current hip hop. I didn't hear any pop/club songs on that album. Just Snoop channeling his inner soul. Hell, he even had a country song, now what rapper is doing that?

Just cause you weren't feeling what he was doing on that album doesn't make it "watered down."

Again, I'm not calling it one of his best albums, but it was the most original compared to everything else he's put out recently. I don't see how you can deny that.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 12:38:04 AM by rapsodie »

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 01:40:39 AM »
I think its just a matter of whether or not the music media (MTV, Radio, etc) influences the fans....or do the fans influence the media. Im sure its a little bit of both. But at the end of the day, the media has to play what the fans want to hear...or else their network goes away.  Like out here for example, theres been plenty of radio stations throughout the years (the most recent, 98.9) that started up with the idea of playing mostly local artists, westcoast artists....and just more REAL shit.  It was all gravy at first, and slowly....they switched just like all the rest. Why? Not enough people were tuning in.

And yeah, the majors dont go after talent...we know that shit. The go after marketability. Whos got the best gimmick.  But whoa re they marketing to? The fans.  If tomorrow, there were more fans who wanted to hear a rapper like tech n9ne.....tech n9ne would instantly be on MTV.

Lets face it, a lot of people are just sheep and only listen to what's popular, not cause of the style but just because its popular. this includes the people complaining about the state of hip hop.
Well thats where the dollars are at, the sheep :(  And sadly in other stuff besides music, the sheep fanbases are so large its difficult to overcome that. 

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 09:58:49 AM »

How the hell was Ego Trippin jumping on whats hot? Nothing about that is what other rappers in hip hop were doing. The only comparison is that in one of the songs he used autotunes, and even then it sounded nothing like the type of songs T-Pain makes. Half the album was like a throwback to the 80s, nothing like whats going on in current hip hop. I didn't hear any pop/club songs on that album. Just Snoop channeling his inner soul. Hell, he even had a country song, now what rapper is doing that?

Just cause you weren't feeling what he was doing on that album doesn't make it "watered down."

Again, I'm not calling it one of his best albums, but it was the most original compared to everything else he's put out recently. I don't see how you can deny that.
lol, you contradict yourself in the beginning of your post  :laugh:
autotune is being used by a lot of rappers; Snoop didn't use it throughout the whole album, granted, but don't tell me he wasn't influenced by the popularity of autotune.
not to mention that the album has it's share of cliche southern influenced music.

Snoop may have done some things that were different for him on the rest of the album, but that doesn't mean i should automatically call it original?
it's subjective after all.

anyway, true, my opinion has nothing to do with classifying Ego Trippin as watered down music: you assumed that i made a connection :laugh:

so you didn't spot any pop/club songs on the album? really?  :o  :loco:
did we listen to the same album?  :D

Snoop is an entertainer & he keeps trying to stay relevant, it's as simple as that.
either you get it or you don't  ;D no futher explanation is needed

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 10:16:10 AM »
I don't think even Snoop knows at times what direction he wants to go with his music, and it shows on almost EVERY album.

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 10:57:40 AM »
It's obviously a bit of both, but the the fact that Crooked I isn't famous proves that sometimes, dope artists will get slept on by fans in the mainstream.

And I'm sure some people will say that because he hasn't put out an album that he hasn't catered to those fans or whatever, but people from outside the west are more likely to check out a cat like Crooked who is droppin' heat for free, and despite that, fans still sleep on talented artists like him. Not only him, but he was the first example that came to my mind. People either want to rap for the mainstream or for respect (few have managed both, I'd say people like Jay and Em have found a balance), and if you want to be a millionaire, trying to make "real hip hop" just isn't the way forward. The fans nowadays are a totally different market, you'd be surprised how many girls go out and cop Lil Wayne or 50 Cent albums for their slumber parties. I can't see them downloading Crooked I and banging him while getting hyper off of Diet Coke somehow, even though Crooked is a monster.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
It's obviously a bit of both, but the the fact that Crooked I isn't famous proves that sometimes, dope artists will get slept on by fans in the mainstream.

And I'm sure some people will say that because he hasn't put out an album that he hasn't catered to those fans or whatever, but people from outside the west are more likely to check out a cat like Crooked who is droppin' heat for free, and despite that, fans still sleep on talented artists like him. Not only him, but he was the first example that came to my mind. People either want to rap for the mainstream or for respect (few have managed both, I'd say people like Jay and Em have found a balance), and if you want to be a millionaire, trying to make "real hip hop" just isn't the way forward. The fans nowadays are a totally different market, you'd be surprised how many girls go out and cop Lil Wayne or 50 Cent albums for their slumber parties. I can't see them downloading Crooked I and banging him while getting hyper off of Diet Coke somehow, even though Crooked is a monster.

As funny as that sounds it's true. I remember pac saying rap to the bitches (no offense ladies) and people RAN with that. It is cool for a couple tracks, but for a whole album, I'll pass. That is what R&B is for. The problem now is labels and artists do not do a balance. Oh autotune is the shit now?, Let me do it on 16 of my 20 tracks. One thing that makes trends, "trendy" is that everyone is not doing it. You can respect it and give it props from afar but emulating it till your sick of it is going overboard.

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 11:22:14 AM »
I remember pac saying rap to the bitches (no offense ladies) and people RAN with that.

Exactly. Even though Pac obviously gets a lot of respect from Hip Hop fans, Pac was one who rapped for the mainstream. He targeted the market which was going to buy his album, that's why his commercial success outweighed his critical success. Dude admittedly dumbed down his shit to cater for the reason rappers are how they are to day - the fans. If Crooked I was to come out with a commercial track spitting like he did on his weekly freestyles, you could probably count the amount of punchlines/wordplay etc that would go over the head of a lot of the mainstream audience, in the same way that Nas will never be as famous as 50 Cent. The fans don't want lyricism. That's why Pac just said what he wanted straight out.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:51 AM »

lol, you contradict yourself in the beginning of your post  :laugh:
autotune is being used by a lot of rappers; Snoop didn't use it throughout the whole album, granted, but don't tell me he wasn't influenced by the popularity of autotune.
not to mention that the album has it's share of cliche southern influenced music.

Snoop may have done some things that were different for him on the rest of the album, but that doesn't mean i should automatically call it original?
it's subjective after all.

anyway, true, my opinion has nothing to do with classifying Ego Trippin as watered down music: you assumed that i made a connection :laugh:

so you didn't spot any pop/club songs on the album? really?  :o  :loco:
did we listen to the same album?  :D

Snoop is an entertainer & he keeps trying to stay relevant, it's as simple as that.
either you get it or you don't  ;D no futher explanation is needed

Did sexual eruption sound like a t-pain song? Naw it was an 80s throwback.

Where's the cliched southern influence?

you are the one who called Ego Trippin watered down and mainstream. Yet it obviously isn't so when the majority of the album sounds nothing like whats going on in hip hop and as a result it didn't sell as well as his other albums. This is your opinion since you obviously didn't like the album. I thought the album was mediocre as well but I can look at the situation subjectively and say it was also something new and creative for Snoop.

Bottom line is Snoop wasn't trying to stay relevant. Everyone expected and wanted him to make a gangsta rap album after the success of TBCT, and he wanted to do something different.