Author Topic: The Artists or the Fans?  (Read 1396 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: The Artists or the Fans?
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2009, 11:25:30 AM »
I remember pac saying rap to the bitches (no offense ladies) and people RAN with that.

Exactly. Even though Pac obviously gets a lot of respect from Hip Hop fans, Pac was one who rapped for the mainstream. He targeted the market which was going to buy his album, that's why his commercial success outweighed his critical success. Dude admittedly dumbed down his shit to cater for the reason rappers are how they are to day - the fans. If Crooked I was to come out with a commercial track spitting like he did on his weekly freestyles, you could probably count the amount of punchlines/wordplay etc that would go over the head of a lot of the mainstream audience, in the same way that Nas will never be as famous as 50 Cent. The fans don't want lyricism. That's why Pac just said what he wanted straight out.

Yeah the fact Nas was not as big in his eyes as Jay Z bothered him. But lets face facts, Nas cannot make club bangers like Jay. Stick to your lane.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2009, 03:22:25 PM »
Did sexual eruption sound like a t-pain song? Naw it was an 80s throwback.

Where's the cliched southern influence?

you are the one who called Ego Trippin watered down and mainstream. Yet it obviously isn't so when the majority of the album sounds nothing like whats going on in hip hop and as a result it didn't sell as well as his other albums. This is your opinion since you obviously didn't like the album. I thought the album was mediocre as well but I can look at the situation subjectively and say it was also something new and creative for Snoop.

Bottom line is Snoop wasn't trying to stay relevant. Everyone expected and wanted him to make a gangsta rap album after the success of TBCT, and he wanted to do something different.
  I actually liked "Ego Trippin" for the some of the reasons you mentioned. It's Snoop trying something different. It's not Snoop following the musical trends as he did with a lot of the previous records.

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2009, 03:41:41 PM »
Honestly, it's a lot of factors that play into it, and it's definitely both. The "hip-hop heads" that a lot of us would be considered don't feel 90% of the songs and artists that get radio play, so we just don't really listen. There's a large majority of listeners that just want to hear a good beat and catchy hook to dance to. If we were more active in buying the "good" albums instead of downloading, that could create the lane for artists to emulate the ones at the top of the game. Even Kanye, who isn't really that lyrical, brought along artist similar in style and substance. The record companies might want to keep pushing bullshit out, but if there was enough fan influence, they would have to promote an artist because that's a lot of money to be made.

Another thing I would like to see more artists do is to separate albums into a little bit of different genres. If you want to try the commercial route and make those tracks, split it into 2 albums, with your other 1 being more for the dedicated listener. I have no problem with an artist trying to make money because it is an occupation, but they also should have the courage to try something innovative.
I got a bird's eye view

Chad Vader

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2009, 07:21:52 AM »
the fans: they complain, but secretly support the wrong type of music

^^^ yep ^^^
so fuck the fucks who bought ego trippin'.

i think the reason Chad Vader agreed, is not because he criticises those who bought a mainstream album.
he agreed to my statement, in which i criticise music listeners that complain, yet support the type of music they claim to hate.
you won't see me state that hiphop is dead.

dead on...  ;)

www.dubcnn.com

Wale - The Perfect Plan AKA It´s The Fans MP3 download

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2009, 11:33:50 AM »
I remember pac saying rap to the bitches (no offense ladies) and people RAN with that.

Exactly. Even though Pac obviously gets a lot of respect from Hip Hop fans, Pac was one who rapped for the mainstream. He targeted the market which was going to buy his album, that's why his commercial success outweighed his critical success. Dude admittedly dumbed down his shit to cater for the reason rappers are how they are to day - the fans. If Crooked I was to come out with a commercial track spitting like he did on his weekly freestyles, you could probably count the amount of punchlines/wordplay etc that would go over the head of a lot of the mainstream audience, in the same way that Nas will never be as famous as 50 Cent. The fans don't want lyricism. That's why Pac just said what he wanted straight out.

Yeah the fact Nas was not as big in his eyes as Jay Z bothered him. But lets face facts, Nas cannot make club bangers like Jay. Stick to your lane.

Nas's worst songs are the ones where he tries to go commercial. Like Oochie wally. It seems his last few albums he has realized this. He should be proud of the fact that he is one of the only rappers who can go platinum without going commercial like Jay. So maybe he doesn't sell as well as Jay, he's still incredibly popular and he will always have more respect from the hip hop community.

Chad Vader

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2009, 07:04:02 AM »
i think the reason Chad Vader agreed, is not because he criticises those who bought a mainstream album.
he agreed to my statement, in which i criticise music listeners that complain, yet support the type of music they claim to hate.

you won't see me state that hip hop is dead.

It's on life support  :-[
The fans is doing a fine job trying to kill it  >:( >:( >:(

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2009, 06:05:15 PM »
str8 up dre-day
i wont and dont support mainstream wack shit and wont buy it period
but best believe ima support the dope rappers
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.