Author Topic: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics  (Read 2647 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: "Classic" Albums that you didnt really feel were classics
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 10:45:00 AM »
Nas dont need to spit like eminem at all. Dudes does his own thing and his cv speaks for itself.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying Nas needs to spit like Em at all, what I was saying was that I think some of the people who say that the MMLP isn't a classic would be bouncing off walls if it was a Nas album, because no matter how crazy Em gets with his lyrical ability some people are never gonna give him real credit.

Oh right i see what you're saying now. I don't agree however, i think alot of people give eminem extra credit for being white and being able to rap and most of his white audience like his shit regardless if its dope or not, its like he is given a pass for anything alot of the time. I dont want this to end up being a 'skin tone' talk because that shits boring but most niggaz i know think MMLP is eminems best album myself included. Whether its a classic or not, i dont know, i can understand people saying it is aswell as people saying its not. Sort of like stillmatic/blueprint etc. Thats how i see it. Personally i like MMLP, my favourite eminem album.

If nas spit the shit eminem did on MMLP, i think alot less people would have noticed it imo.  ;)

pz ;)

I agree with that L. Subject matter has always been a issue with diehard Nas fans. Especially after It Was Written dropped. I think a introspective track from Nas and Em are 2 completely different tracks, for obvious reasons. I just think like Kaiser said the way Em paints a picture lyrically at times is not as appreciated by people because of the presentation. Stan is a incredible track, but alot of people missed it and only seen the crazed fan aspect of it. But that track is storytelling at its finest. I dig imagery tracks from Nas. Project Window, 2nd Childhood, shit like that. Where he take objects and brings them to life.

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »
Nas dont need to spit like eminem at all. Dudes does his own thing and his cv speaks for itself.

I think you're misunderstanding my point. I'm not saying Nas needs to spit like Em at all, what I was saying was that I think some of the people who say that the MMLP isn't a classic would be bouncing off walls if it was a Nas album, because no matter how crazy Em gets with his lyrical ability some people are never gonna give him real credit.

Oh right i see what you're saying now. I don't agree however, i think alot of people give eminem extra credit for being white and being able to rap and most of his white audience like his shit regardless if its dope or not, its like he is given a pass for anything alot of the time. I dont want this to end up being a 'skin tone' talk because that shits boring but most niggaz i know think MMLP is eminems best album myself included. Whether its a classic or not, i dont know, i can understand people saying it is aswell as people saying its not. Sort of like stillmatic/blueprint etc. Thats how i see it. Personally i like MMLP, my favourite eminem album.

If nas spit the shit eminem did on MMLP, i think alot less people would have noticed it imo.  ;)

pz ;)

Fair enough, I know there's a lot of people who think that Em is given extra credit because he's white, and when it comes to mainstream fans, I have no doubt that's the case. However, I honestly do believe that the opposite is the case with some "hip hop heads". After all, why was Illmatic a classic? Because Nas was wild with the rhymes and multi-sylablles, a lot of people citing "One Love" as an example of how he could still go hard on a storytelling track. Eminem has done exactly that plenty of times, but those same people who give Illmatic all the credit in the world - and rightly so - deny giving Eminem the same credit.

As D-Nice said, the whole concept of Stan was crazy in itself.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2009, 10:53:23 AM »
Man this thread reminds me how much BULLSHIT music is out right now.  ;D

Nah there is still good music out there, just harder to find at times.

Jaydc555

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2009, 11:02:24 AM »
Life after death,blueprint and black album,2001.None of those were classic.For me a classic is an album you can throw on 5 years after its out and listen to the album all the way through and not skip a song because they are all dope.I don't know how anyone could call life after death classic.Ready to die is a classic.But life after death could easily have been one CD.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »

^^^For real and props to kaiser, that was dope talk.

As for stan, thats one of eminems greatest moments, both in terms of mixing creativity/story telling etc and making dope music, even the hook from...umm...dido? was dope, that was eminem at his best back then. Dude was angry, he wanted to be rich etc and when he got it, he didnt appreciate it, was getting sued from everywhere, sudddenly he was open to both love and criticism, for the first time ever he was being hated on for no reason by people...basically getting hate and groupies and all...end result was joints like stan, the way i am, the "the i never knew i would get so rich" joint etc, dude was so angry lol basically a black youth back then lol, i cant hate on eminem. I just think he started switching with eminem show but he stilll had moments of greatness on that album and 8mile ost.

And yeh D-nice...2nd childhood = 5/5 joint ;-) and subject matter is big haha

pz!

Raphael

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2009, 11:10:49 AM »
For me a classic is an album you can throw on 5 years after its out and listen to the album all the way through and not skip a song because they are all dope
True but i think a classic can also be a album that changed hiphop or made a huge impact like Straight Outta Compton...i mean the skippable tracks on there were horrible :P

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
Life after death,blueprint and black album,2001.None of those were classic.For me a classic is an album you can throw on 5 years after its out and listen to the album all the way through and not skip a song because they are all dope.I don't know how anyone could call life after death classic.Ready to die is a classic.But life after death could easily have been one CD.

I can actually throw Life After Death on and bump it all the way through. Had a couple useless skits and the singing of Playa Hata I could have done without but overall it was dope. But classic I don't know. I will say that album is the pinnacle of "bling rap" that Bad Boy was putting out. The over the top production and subject matter about making money that JD and Jay Z tried to re create. You could not make a album ever like that again and do the numbers that did in any climate. I think Biggie's rhymes were dope as fuck on there but I like Ready To Die BIG a lil more. I am on the fence on that album too.

LyRiCaL_G

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I love YaBB 1 Gold!
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 11:12:27 AM »
Oh and just for the record i DO think 2001 is a classic. The top half of the album is amazing, the second half is not but why i say its classic is because it changed the game back then and the production especially in the top half is still fresh. All i would say is that its pretty low on the classic list...very low, but just makes it as a classic for its impact etc and for how great the top half was.

I think we've had a few threads in the westcoast section about 2001 and basically i think its a classic but not anywhere near top tier all time classics.

pz

KaiserSoze

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2009, 11:14:56 AM »
I don't know how anyone could call life after death classic.

Obviously you've got a strong opinion but I think you're being a little narrow minded. If some new artist was to bring out an album spitting like Biggie did on Life After Death with his flow and lyrics, people would be saying that dude was bringing back hip hop. The thing is that people were used to Biggie dropping fire, so they don't treat Life After Death as anything special. I agree that it could probably have been 1 CD but like I said, the album was aimed at being more universal, and it succeeded in being a crossover success. Biggie was proving how versatile he was on lots of different types of tracks while still remaining dope as fuck. While all the tracks that you liked on the album may be fit in to one CD, other fans will like every track. Because of how universal the album is, every fan with a different taste is going to view each of the tracks differently.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »

^^^For real and props to kaiser, that was dope talk.

As for stan, thats one of eminems greatest moments, both in terms of mixing creativity/story telling etc and making dope music, even the hook from...umm...dido? was dope, that was eminem at his best back then. Dude was angry, he wanted to be rich etc and when he got it, he didnt appreciate it, was getting sued from everywhere, sudddenly he was open to both love and criticism, for the first time ever he was being hated on for no reason by people...basically getting hate and groupies and all...end result was joints like stan, the way i am, the "the i never knew i would get so rich" joint etc, dude was so angry lol basically a black youth back then lol, i cant hate on eminem. I just think he started switching with eminem show but he stilll had moments of greatness on that album and 8mile ost.

And yeh D-nice...2nd childhood = 5/5 joint ;-) and subject matter is big haha

pz!

Oh man that is a slept on joint on Stillmatic. Not the best Premo beat compared to what they have done over the years but that song I can relate to a T with. Especially with people I went to high school with. And the concept is dope. Nas when he raps like that cannot be touched by many. Period.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2009, 11:19:03 AM »
A major reason why albums don't sound so "classic" is bcuz the length of the albums are longer nowadays (skits and mandatory songs- love, party, etc.).  Take for example "Doggystyle", that album was 9 tracks (7solos all short songs).  The album was so short that of course anything you hear within that timeframe is gonna be hot, especially if you're hot.  If anybody were to take 9 or 10 songs off any album tha shit is gonna go over better with the crowd/people.  Albums today are longer so you get more "bang" for your buck.  I'm not sayin it's impossible to drop a 22 track classic but if an album is 20 songs and atleast 10 songs are replayable (a good amount of time albums are) then I say that tha artists' job is done.  If Relapse were condensed then it would be up on the same level if not better than all of his past albums (even better with the normal flow lol and Encore woulda been better too).  Shit you get even more tracks when you get the mixtape that goes with the album so it's not like you're not getting what you paid for.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
I don't know how anyone could call life after death classic.

Obviously you've got a strong opinion but I think you're being a little narrow minded. If some new artist was to bring out an album spitting like Biggie did on Life After Death with his flow and lyrics, people would be saying that dude was bringing back hip hop. The thing is that people were used to Biggie dropping fire, so they don't treat Life After Death as anything special. I agree that it could probably have been 1 CD but like I said, the album was aimed at being more universal, and it succeeded in being a crossover success. Biggie was proving how versatile he was on lots of different types of tracks while still remaining dope as fuck. While all the tracks that you liked on the album may be fit in to one CD, other fans will like every track. Because of how universal the album is, every fan with a different taste is going to view each of the tracks differently.

Puffy telling Biggie to change his tone was a genius move. It made One More Chance smooth as fuck. He could not do a song like that rapping like Warning. But he had some insane lyrical gems on Life After Death. Long Kiss, My Downfall, Story To Tell, Kick In The Door, Notorious Thugs, he literally had something for everyone. I don't know a soul that does not like that album.

Jaydc555

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2009, 11:21:55 AM »
Theirs no rule that an artist has to make a long album these days its their choice.Lots of album still drop today that are only 12 songs.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
Theirs no rule that an artist has to make a long album these days its their choice.Lots of album still drop today that are only 12 songs.

don't know how many albums you have but albums are most of the time a minimum of 15 songs including skits which most of the time make up "more" tracks overall.

Jaydc555

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2009, 11:25:28 AM »
I'm not saying life after death isn't a good album but you can't call it a classic by any means.Theirs skippable songs,some songs sound extremely dated with the cheesey beats aka I love the dough.On top of that the other measuring stick of a classic,the effect it has on the genre.Well big was basically copying pac with the album.Hey he made a double album so ill make one too.Full of party tracks just like pacs was and just like all eyez on me a good album,but not classic